Sign in to follow this  
alois

[MOC} New collegiate church of Saint Leonore

For Legoworld Utrecht 2020, I decided it was time to built a new church for my Lego town. And so did the town dwellers. So I built a new church.

Internal history:

Building started around 1300, when the preceding church was elevated to the rank of collegiate church, in keeping with the growth and prosperity of the town. Building started with the radiating chapels of the choir:48270762946_f536c937b0_b.jpg

48488110367_8c07f19c0f_b.jpg

The old church can bee seen in the background by the way. Building contiued with the cleresory of the choir, wihich was more ornated, and which was ready around 1375. Then building slowed down because of economic problems. Around 1450 the transept was finally built:

49518368062_1c8247c957_b.jpg

But the economic problems continued and the town was not able to realise the grand nave of the church, and insted opted for a cheaper nave in brick with wooden vaults, thus foregoing the need for flying butresses.

50527007013_5d2dd5260e_b.jpg

The nave was ready in the year 1530. Because all of the troubles of the 16th century, a tower was never built, however a modest spire was put in the middle. In 1580 a small buioding with a porch for the canons was added.

50527890717_3592fb7b4b_b.jpg

A couple of other pictures, including one of the interior:

50527735581_f517e9ecf7_b.jpg

50527890287_0be2a1c943_b.jpg

50501084967_7e001c962d_b.jpg

50527735536_b9d8b4d820_b.jpg

More pictures can be found here.

Unbelievable creation in sheer scale, complexity and splendor. All those angles and the flying buttresses make this classic church amazing. Legendary work there Alois!

This is breathtaking.  I love the simplicity of the studs on the roof - they actually fit the aesthetic of the building really well.  Fatnastic work!

oh WOW. The old church was already really nice. But this is even more impressive. Very realistic using different colours for different sections of the church. 

Amazing build. I followed your progress on flickr, and the end-result is just absolutely beautiful.

Enlighten us: Was the change in building style that you so brilliantly explained in the backstory warranted by limiting conditions in real-life, or was it your intentrion all along to showcase the numerous problems many of the ambitious church-building projects faced over the centuries?

1 hour ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

Amazing build. I followed your progress on flickr, and the end-result is just absolutely beautiful.

Enlighten us: Was the change in building style that you so brilliantly explained in the backstory warranted by limiting conditions in real-life, or was it your intentrion all along to showcase the numerous problems many of the ambitious church-building projects faced over the centuries?

Both of course. I really ran out of tan bricks, and had still a lot of reddish brown and dark orange laying around, but in reality this was also often the case in the Netherlands. Stone is more expensive than brick, because there isn't any in the Netherlands to find. Look at the New Church on the Dam Square in Amsterdam, where you can see the same.

616px-Amsterdam_Nieuwe_Kerk_1697.jpg

I instantly recognized the 'peek-through' of the alley with the tram. Will you also make Magna Plaza?! 

Just now, JopieK said:

I instantly recognized the 'peek-through' of the alley with the tram. Will you also make Magna Plaza?! 

It's not really Amsterdam, have a good look. But Magna Plaza or another post office by CH Peters would be a good idea anyway.

Great build. The story line is completely believable as you even showed how the differences in finances in recorded history forced changes.

Absolutely fantastic build!  How many pieces do you think you used in this build? I understand how hard it would be to calculate the number of pieces in that fine of detail. 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:23 PM, Jerry McGlade said:

Absolutely fantastic build!  How many pieces do you think you used in this build? I understand how hard it would be to calculate the number of pieces in that fine of detail. 

It's two by five 32x32 baseplates, that's all that I know. I suspect it goes beyond 10,000 pieces, but how much I don't know.