AlmightyArjen

Lego train 80's layout with all 12V trains

The past 1,5 years I've been busy building an 80's town with most of the iconic classic town sets and all 12V grey era train sets. I started with buying sets that I didn't have yet, deyellowing all white and grey (including train tracks) parts which took longer than expected:I wasn't done when the summer of 2019 became autumn and by that time the sun wasn't strong enough (if the sun was visible anyway) so I built a de-yellowing device. I've used a total of 40 liters of peroxide solution to de-yellow most parts. After that I could start building the layout and town.

The town consists of the most iconic classic town sets and three train loops from the 12V grey era. All 12V trains are running on these loops, including a locomotive from the 7777 train ideas book and a 12V crocodile MOC. There are 19 remote controls for points, signs, decouplers and a level crossing. Further more I have used over 120 original 12V light bricks for lighting. These two combined results in a total wire length of around 350 meters. Enjoy! :D

Edited by AlmightyArjen

I'm lost for words, that is simply fabulous, captures everything that is so good about the 12v era - the lighting, playability with the points, signals etc. Always great to see it reaching its potential like this.

You've also done a great job hiding the vast amount of wiring too. I take my hat off to you.

I just clicked on the video ... saw it all the way to the end ... and need to relax a bit before I comment here ... 

I have never ever seen a video like this one. It must have been such an enormous amount of work; work though that translates to patience, dedication, inspiration, fun (you can literally feel that vibrant fun), creativity, love for the theme ... 

This video should be showcased at Billund's Legoland on a very, very big screen - at the lines forming at the attractions, in the store, when you enter the theme park. And run endlessly. It would perfectly completely picture the idea of playing with these bricks.

(And it would tell the story of what the 12V system was - still is - and what they have missed out on)

Thank you very much for all your efforts - this is much more than a video showing all 12V trains. It shows LEGO at its very best.

Good luck and fun with your future projects!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

16 hours ago, Toastie said:

I just clicked on the video ... saw it all the way to the end ... and need to relax a bit before I comment here ... 

I have never ever seen a video like this one. It must have been such an enormous amount of work; work though that translates to patience, dedication, inspiration, fun (you can literally feel that vibrant fun), creativity, love for the theme ... 

This video should be showcased at Billund's Legoland on a very, very big screen - at the lines forming at the attractions, in the store, when you enter the theme park. And run endlessly. It would perfectly completely picture the idea of playing with these bricks.

(And it would tell the story of what the 12V system was - still is - and what they have missed out on)

Thank you very much for all your efforts - this is much more than a video showing all 12V trains. It shows LEGO at its very best.

Good luck and fun with your future projects!!!

All the best,
Thorsten

Thanks man, appreciate your comment! How awesome would it be if they played it indeed in Billund :D

Well well well, I have to say this is something different then your previous videos. This is actually really cool to see how you added all the sets from this great era together and and with some of your automation skills made sure all these trains can run together.

So nice to look at this.

:wub_drool:

This is .. I have no words for it. I love it. It looks like it just came straight out of the 7777 idea book. And what a work that must have been. Very, very impressive.

This is just incredible.  As an old Classic Town & Train fan, I absolutely love your dio and the video was so fun to watch.  The light to dark transitions were most enjoyable.  I never owned a 12V train and think I only have one set in your dio, the Fire Station.  Made up for it during the 9V era. I see structures from the old LEGO Idea book with stickers.  Nicely done.

Wonderful collection and truly a beautiful diorama.  Well done!

Fab video and great achievement pulling all these vintage sets together - it's not often that reality is better than dreams!

I am wondering if your collecting has affected the market price of 12v light bricks!

Edited by Alexland

Well, AlmightyArjen, awesome video of a magnificent '80's layout! Like the way you switched between day- and nighttime shots. And the funny jokes and scenes made it extra worthwhile. What a hell of a job it must have been wiring the whole lot! And nice that you also shared the many bloopers that you had orchestrating this train spectacle.

Watched this on YT, completely awesome layout! I just started getting invested in 12v, currently I have a 7745 but the motor is starting to wear. Planning on ordering 2 electric points and 2 signals for the holidays!

The backgrounds are period-accurate and you have gone to an incredible length cleaning and de-yellowing all the bricks, especially with so many electrical components.   By placing all the sets together in NM condition, it takes you back to an era that predates many of today's AFOLs.   It's a weird sort of pre-nostalgia in which you see something that makes an emotional center in your brain say "You should be nostalgic for this" and the rational part says "...but I didn't exist in 1985."

Just amazing - and the backgrounds really add to that full on classic 12v feel :) I’m in awe of the setup and your commitment to doing it ‘right’ with the sheer amount of wiring involved!! I’ve been following your prep videos on YouTube and it’s been great to see it all come together :)