Grover

Avalonian Elven Stag Cavalry

Not to be outshone by their northern ursine cavalry brethren, the elves of the Dragon Clan in the Enchanted Forest in Avalonia had long maintained their fleet footed stag cavalry.

50518908456_fe314b58d9_c.jpg

Spoiler

Seems a little dead around here lately so I thought I'd throw together a quick little specialty cavalry build with my new deer pieces.  I wonder what kind of specialty cavalry the other guilds may see in the future...?

Or, if you like, the generic stag unit.

50521677632_5a405e3232_c.jpg

Edited by Grover

This is a really cool army!  I hope we see them in action soon!

It was only a matter of time before someone army built a deer riding faction. But that was quick!

They would look great with the S3 elf shield.

8 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Those are awesome! I’m impressed that you collected so many of them!

Thanks!  As soon as I saw the stag was coming out in the WV set, I wanted a bunch for cavalry.  I managed to jump on it on B&P the day prices dropped.  It wasn't supposed to ship until Nov 6th, but it arrived yesterday, so here we are!

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

This is a really cool army!  I hope we see them in action soon!

I want to make them ride with the dwarven bear cavalry... :moar:

6 hours ago, MAB said:

It was only a matter of time before someone army built a deer riding faction. But that was quick!

They would look great with the S3 elf shield.

It's funny you mention that, as that was my original intent, but I only had 2 of those shields.  As it turns out, I found a third, but still thought it would look weird unless everyone had one.  Then this morning I realized I might have enough of the old forestman shields to give the leaders the big shields and the rank and file the forestman shields.  Not sure that elves use heater shields, but I think it comes off OK and the S3 shields look good!  Had to lose the banner, but the Avalonian colors come through and are now general stag cavalry.

50521677632_5a405e3232_c.jpg

22 minutes ago, deraven said:

Awesome - definitely a very intimidating calvary unit!  :classic:

Thanks!  I'd hate to be gored!

Great looking faction.  How did you get so many stags?

That's an impressive army you've got there!

I myself am trying to get some of those stags off of Bricks and Pieces; it's currently sold out, though. Hopefully they'll restock soon...

These are amazing mate! I like these better than the bear cavalry (although they were cool too). Can't wait to see them used in anger!

19 hours ago, Grover said:

It's funny you mention that, as that was my original intent, but I only had 2 of those shields.  As it turns out, I found a third, but still thought it would look weird unless everyone had one.  Then this morning I realized I might have enough of the old forestman shields to give the leaders the big shields and the rank and file the forestman shields.  Not sure that elves use heater shields, but I think it comes off OK and the S3 shields look good!  Had to lose the banner, but the Avalonian colors come through and are now general stag cavalry.

That update with the stag shields looks great. I can see you have already done the other trick - make them archers so they don't carry a shield.

13 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Great looking faction.  How did you get so many stags?

Bricks and pieces.  You can find them listed in the new Elf Clubhouse set.

11 hours ago, socalbricks said:

That's an impressive army you've got there!

I myself am trying to get some of those stags off of Bricks and Pieces; it's currently sold out, though. Hopefully they'll restock soon...

I managed to order mine the day the price dropped.  If you call, they can tell you when they are due back in.  Last I heard it was Nov. 12.  I'd suggest buying that morning if you can, since I suspect these are going to be popular.

5 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

These are amazing mate! I like these better than the bear cavalry (although they were cool too). Can't wait to see them used in anger!

I think these made for easier cavalry since the normal horse saddles fit reasonably well (although not perfectly) and you didn't need to custom build a saddle for the torsos.  I think ostriches and other non-riding specific animals may suffer the same problems.  Should be interesting to see where they enter into some stories!  I also need to build some cavalry for Nocturnus, Kali, and Varlyrio now.  Just have to wait until region specific animals show up on B&P!

46 minutes ago, MAB said:

That update with the stag shields looks great. I can see you have already done the other trick - make them archers so they don't carry a shield.

Yeah, I made a few archers to try and bulk up the count on the riders, although I exhausted my LoTR elf minis, forestman shields, and Elf S3 shields to do this!

They are perfect! Very...elvish. And very Avalonian. I find it nice that you did not strictly restricted their color palette to greens and browns, with the guy clad in red and the redhead in the back! 
As soon as I get my bricks back (just a few months....:ugh:), I'll try to build some kind of Mitgardian (non-bear) cavalry unit.

11 hours ago, Grover said:

I managed to order mine the day the price dropped.  If you call, they can tell you when they are due back in.  Last I heard it was Nov. 12.  I'd suggest buying that morning if you can, since I suspect these are going to be popular.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely make sure to call them.

Edited by socalbricks

Aww cool! They look awesome!

I didn't know, the elven clubhouse is already out. And you already have a herd of stags. Good job mate! Fine addition, to your bear cavalry! :)

On 10/24/2020 at 11:32 AM, Aurore said:

They are perfect! Very...elvish. And very Avalonian. I find it nice that you did not strictly restricted their color palette to greens and browns, with the guy clad in red and the redhead in the back! 
As soon as I get my bricks back (just a few months....:ugh:), I'll try to build some kind of Mitgardian (non-bear) cavalry unit.

Thank you!  I had fun building them.  I had to dig for my muted color saddles.  I didn't realize I had so many of them actually and I was hoping to avoid going to the blue and reds of yesteryear.  The saddles almost fit, just not quite, but it's hard to tell unless you look close.  I had originally put another color hair in there and then changed it to Galadriel's hair.  I have started doing like you and buying new hairpieces when I make BL orders!  I hope the time passes quickly while you're away from your bricks!

On 10/25/2020 at 4:42 PM, kahir88 said:

Aww cool! They look awesome!

I didn't know, the elven clubhouse is already out. And you already have a herd of stags. Good job mate! Fine addition, to your bear cavalry! :)

Thanks!  The clubhouse has been out here for a little while.  I wound up buying the stags on B&P.  They weren't supposed to ship until Nov 6th, but they came way earlier than I expected.  I think they make quite the compliment to the bear cavalry.  Now I need to wait for ostriches or something from Kaliphlin.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do for Nocturnus or Varlyrio specialty cavalry...

On 10/24/2020 at 10:28 PM, socalbricks said:

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely make sure to call them.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, Grover said:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for Nocturnus

Well, if you are interested in animal building, you could try spider-riders of Nocturn. :D