brownie5968

Lego GmbH DB Kof II - 8 wide

Here is my first ever MOC lego train, a DB kof II in the colours of the loco once owned by Lego GmbH themselves. This is also my first post here on Eurobricks, so hello everyone!!

50517220443_cdc442169b_c.jpgLego GmbH Kof II - 9 by JoelBrown5968, on Flickr

It is unpowered, and is 8 studs wide. There is a somewhat detailed interior, and you can fit half a minifig inside it. Im planning to build a powered boxcar to go behind it, similar to the ones it shunted around the distribution centre in Hohenwestedt. There is no room inside to fit PF components at all, a 9V motor may work but the wheelbase is currently larger than that of a 9v motor. The stickers are custom made, and a fair few "illegal" techniques are used, one being how the upper centre light is mounted to the nose.

50518108202_099c1133f2_c.jpgLego GmbH Kof II - 8 by JoelBrown5968, on Flickr

I have instructions available for sale on rebrickable (linked below) if anyone is interested, and theres more photos availabe on my Flickr page and my instagram, @browniesbricks.

Instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-54831/Joelbrown5968/lego-group-db-köf-ii/#details

Any feedback or ideas/improvements are totally welcome. Finally, should i go 7 or 8 wide for the boxcar?

I think you've done a great job for your first MOC!

Though the front part looks a bit out of place.

6 hours ago, brownie5968 said:

Any feedback or ideas/improvements are totally welcome. Finally, should i go 7 or 8 wide for the boxcar?

I'd go 8. While locomotives are often a bit wider than rolling stock, the difference is pretty insubstantial in the modern era. Most railroads have a fairly set-in-stone loading gauge, and build to that standard across the board. 

Plus, this is a small engine, and you want it to look little. The best way to accomplish that is to have big cars.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

9 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I think you've done a great job for your first MOC!

Though the front part looks a bit out of place.

By front part are you referring to the narrow grille? I did sit for a fair few hours coming up with different designs for the front with wider grilles, but didnt get any i liked. Some grilles styles then made the nose out of scale with the cab etc. Ill keep trying and update the thread if i change it :classic:

9 hours ago, Duq said:

That's a very nice Köf! I've added it to my gallery on Flickr where it's in good company ;-)

Thank you so much, amazing how they all look so similar but are built very differently.

3 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I'd go 8.

Thanks for the kind words, the 8 wide boxcar ive started building does look big compared to the loco, i think im just struggling to get into my head that this is a small loco!

13 hours ago, WesternOutlaw said:

Interesting design.  Like the colors and the classic LEGO logo.

9 hours ago, Gregdabrat said:

Looks amazing!

53 minutes ago, KvadratGnezdo said:

This looks super cute!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

On 10/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, JintaiZ said:

I think it looks better :wink:

I agree

Looks a bit wide but looks cool. Gives me a bit of a tiny powerhouse :classic:

And you said "and a fair few "illegal" techniques are used" Well, looks good.