marbleman

BR18 201 Germany Express

Hello guys,BR18 201 is one of my favorite locomotive, so I make it with bricks.

00.jpg

This is the model I referenced

04.jpg

General View of my work 

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

More detail

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

15.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

It drived with two L motors and can be run on R40 curve, but because of I can't connect to Youtube in China, so I can't show video to you.

Hope you like it.

Marbleman

Stupendous work capturing some very tricky shapes from the prototype, well done! I love all the little details too. How fragile is she, and does she run well? It's a shame you can't post the video, it would look fantastic!

Great job modeling the locomotive! Comparing the model and the lego one they look very similar and nice. One thing you could improve on is the gap between the boiler and the last driving wheel. Not criticizing but it just catches my eye and stands out.

14.jpg

Stunning! You did a really great job there. The colors work very well.

Really a nice rendering, very well built. There are only one thing you could improve: the tender is too low, if you look at the real engine the roof of the cabin is at the same level of the tender top, this is a very easy thing to do, one or two more black plates in the upper section of the tender. I understand that the gap between the lok and the tender is necessary to negotiate the curves.

Unfortunately in the Lego train world there are  no wheels of the right dimensions, and the comparison between the HO model and the Lego one is merciless. You have chosen the worst locomotive in this sense, with 2300mm (from the 61.002 predecessor) these are the largest in this locomotive era.

many congratulations indeed

Okay, my one criticism of this otherwise superb build is that I think you need a ton more piping/detailing on the sides of the boiler. Just start attaching clips and throw whatever sticks up there - lug wrenches, screw drivers, lightsaber handles, binoculars, etc., etc... basically the entire bag of tricks. Because, for a European locomotive, it's very obvious at first glance that the hallmark (other than the camel hump) of this class of engines is some very American-like nonchalance with regards to exposed parts, and you need more of 'em.

I also agree with @monai's suggestion to heighten the tender by about a brick - hopefully this won't be too difficult for you. I also would have made an effort to use bigger driving wheels, but this is less of a critique than a different opinion (I think people run their Lego railroads to varied standards, and drivers are one of those 'soft' stats that can be fudged either way).

Overall, though, I love it. The hump is excellent, and the smoke deflectors and cab angling are tops. I confess, though, that my favorite part is actually the bogies on the tender - I like it when people aren't afraid to 'go big' on their trucks to get more detail, and you went big, and it paid off. 

*Edit* Oh, and if it doesn't offend your sensibilities, please buy custom rods. They're just a big visual improvement (provided that using custom pieces doesn't violate your own building code).

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

5 hours ago, monai said:

Really a nice rendering, very well built. There are only one thing you could improve: the tender is too low, if you look at the real engine the roof of the cabin is at the same level of the tender top, this is a very easy thing to do, one or two more black plates in the upper section of the tender. I understand that the gap between the lok and the tender is necessary to negotiate the curves.

Unfortunately in the Lego train world there are  no wheels of the right dimensions, and the comparison between the HO model and the Lego one is merciless. You have chosen the worst locomotive in this sense, with 2300mm (from the 61.002 predecessor) these are the largest in this locomotive era.

many congratulations indeed

Thank you for your opinion, I just noticed that the tender is too low after you tell me. I will modify it soon. About the big wheel, I also think about it, I'm trying to make drawing to print it by 3D printer.

4 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I think you need a ton more piping/detailing on the sides of the boiler. Just start attaching clips and throw whatever sticks up there - lug wrenches, screw drivers, lightsaber handles, binoculars, etc., etc... basically the entire bag of tricks. Because, for a European locomotive, it's very obvious at first glance that the hallmark (other than the camel hump) of this class of engines is some very American-like nonchalance with regards to exposed parts, and you need more of 'em.

Thank you for your praise and opinion. I also want to make more detail on boiler, but lack data about it. I only have some pictures from internet. Maybe what I need a is a good model or some picture from real engine. hope I have chance to German to take some pictures in train museum in future.  

The video link in China website, hope you can see it.

http://v.qq.com/x/page/v3111tl5win.html

43 minutes ago, marbleman said:

Thank you for your opinion, I just noticed that the tender is too low after you tell me. I will modify it soon. About the big wheel, I also think about it, I'm trying to make drawing to print it by 3D printer.

Thank you for your praise and opinion. I also want to make more detail on boiler, but lack data about it. I only have some pictures from internet. Maybe what I need a is a good model or some picture from real engine. hope I have chance to German to take some pictures in train museum in future.  

The video link in China website, hope you can see it.

http://v.qq.com/x/page/v3111tl5win.html

Couple of decent closeups: 

rcdfqFe.jpg

7S5ZGm6.jpg

eJAdUKq.jpg

Not sure if China blocks imgur, of course...

You might also want to use these on the sides:

AgiQTwr3CdFTIJIOL_LfpIiSLuxEY3N8eqjiUOfX

It has that sort of distinct triangular shape there. Other parts might achieve it better.

Like I said, though, this is already really great.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

19 hours ago, LordB said:

If you need help with designing the wheel, let me know. I have some spare time the upcoming months. Give me the dimensions and I'll have it done shortly.

Nice work on the train btw! Love it.

Thank you for your kindness. One of my friend is making the drawing for me now. Maybe we have chance to cooperate the MOC in future. My e-mail is zhangjie718@163.com. Any more advice, please connect with me directly.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:48 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Couple of decent closeups: 

rcdfqFe.jpg

7S5ZGm6.jpg

eJAdUKq.jpg

Not sure if China blocks imgur, of course...

You might also want to use these on the sides:

AgiQTwr3CdFTIJIOL_LfpIiSLuxEY3N8eqjiUOfX

It has that sort of distinct triangular shape there. Other parts might achieve it better.

Like I said, though, this is already really great.

Thank you again for the pictures, it's helpful.

Beautiful role model. It's also on my to-do list.
The implementation is already a house number and very well done.

To improve I would have the following points:
- the cabin windows are too slanted
- the cabin roof goes down too far and looks too massive

But above all: I really like the model. Good work and recognition is guaranteed.

Thomas

Spectacular work, it is a great locomotive, very difficult to recreate due to its aerodynamic body - I love the way you integrated the white lines in the body, avoiding stickers! Great job! :thumbup::wub: