Sign in to follow this  
Mummeldjur

Question about vintage photo

I have a question about this image, does anyone here know where it comes from? Was it ever part of a catalouge or a poster? I would really like to get a high res version of it in some form. Would love to hear if you know something!

legoland-range-1970.jpg

Moving to the appropriate area so you can get more eyes on this. I hope you can find some info, really cool photo!

I think it's a photo of old sets placed together.

10 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I think it's a photo of old sets placed together.

Yes obviously.  :laugh:

It's in the style of the old catalogs, before your time, this is how things were displayed in catalogs. There wasn't all the CG that's used these days. That's why the question is about if anyone remembers seeing it in an old catalog and what catalog it might have come from.

I looked at the Brickset catalogues, none have this particular diorama, but found some details:

Certainly is from the year 1979 or 1980, based on the Snackbar set that came out in 1979, and the yellow Fire Station (374)  was replaced with a red one in 1981 (6382).

Must be from Europe as well, as US had a different red Fire Station (580)

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Certainly is from the year 1979 or 1980, based on the Snackbar set that came out in 1979, and the yellow Fire Station (374)  was replaced with a red one in 1981 (6382).

Must be from Europe as well, as US had a different red Fire Station (580)

Correct - this is from the 1979 UK catalogs.  What's interesting is that yours appears to be an in-process photo (pre-press) of the layout before they put in the green rolling hill backgrounds and bright blue sky.  You can see that it's definitely the photograph used for those 1979 materials if you look at the first & last page of this UK catalogue (they'd have been the front and back cover together, obviously), and the main fold-out image on this one as well.

Where did you find this particular photo?  Any more from what appears to be the product photography shoots?

It is amazing how much photo manipulation (pre-photoshop) they did back then. It looks like they used piles of sand for the green hills, although I cannot work out what they were intending with the trees that they half buried. These look just wrong in the final image.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

I cannot work out what they were intending with the trees that they half buried.

I think they were hoping to make it look like hillside bushes, but only the designer would know for sure. 

Thanks for all the replies! The image is part of a slideshow in an online article telling the story of the lego company. Interesting to see the edited version in the catalogs! Wonder if i should try to contact the author or something... 

The LEGO Group has been "modifying" photographic images to make colorful LEGO images all the way back to 1953.

Here is an early 1953 LEGO photograph showing Godtfred Kirk Christiansen's 3 children... Kjeld, Gunhild, and young Hanne.

5255805253_64bc564dfc_o.jpg

This 1953 image was colorized and cropped for the basic set box tops of 1953-55 (of Denmark, Norway and Sweden)....

10322883705_473e70bd1c_o.jpg

TLG has been doing this type of artwork changes during the early years of LEGO.  For those of you who have my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide... (computer desktop download), there is an entire chapter devoted to modified artwork.  (Note:  for those of you waiting for your free upgrade to 2020, I will have it ready in 1st quarter 2021... with over 500 higher resolution older images, as well as thousands of images to cover the years 2000-2020.)

14 hours ago, Mummeldjur said:

Thanks for all the replies! The image is part of a slideshow in an online article telling the story of the lego company. Interesting to see the edited version in the catalogs! Wonder if i should try to contact the author or something... 

Just out of curiosity... is there a link to that slideshow on the LEGO company?   Thanks!! :classic: