Sariel

Glomar Explorer: a floating, working 3 meters long LEGO ship

Here's a wee little project I've spent the last 12 months on. Yes, it's a 3+ meters long LEGO ship that floats (without a drop of glue), moves and recovers sunken submarines, occasionally ripping them apart in the process. There's really too much to describe here so allow me to present you with a video covering all the details:

And you finished ORP Orzel at the same time...

Nice!

No really, great boat, amazing build.

The submarine looks fantastic.

Edit: After watching the complete video:

I admire your dedication and creativity every single build, but this thing is on another level.

Functions are great, and getting it floating and modulair is an amazing feature.

Well done!

Edited by captainmib

Wow! Very impressive build and research. Some extra :thumbup: for entertaining all those dogs so well :laugh:

This is the most impressive thing I've ever seen built with LEGO*huh*. Also loved the the backstory behind this ship. 

That is very impressive! The size is unbelievable, and it looks like it must have been very tedious to build. The audacity of both your project and the historic one are commendable.

I haven't been on here in years but saw the video on Youtube! This is an incredible project, well done Sariel!

Your Lego career is filled with many outstanding projects.  This indeed may top them all.  The engineering is outstanding.  I actually watched the whole video, which pretty much says it all. 

Brilliant little project. I'd never heard of the Glomar Explorer story before, that is cold war craziness at it's best. You did the story right with this model.

I really like how the mechanism for working the grab seems simple until you remember no motors under water and only two cables to the cradle. Clever and understated.

Very impressive build, but I think the significance of it all is only realised when you see the story behind it all.  We do appreciate your dedication to such a project.