Sign in to follow this  
CapOnBOBS

[OKT-Artisan] Inside the Fest Tent

Of course the highlight of both the spring and the fall festivals has always been the fest tents! 

OKT_Fest1

Reminiscent of the cavernous but jam packed beer halls of old world cities, the tents traditionally had been temporary structures to house the massive inflow of pilgrims for Spring Fest and October Fest. Today, the fest tents remain up year round, semi-permanent structures becoming more permanent every year. 

OKT_Fest2

Of course, "the beer flows like wine!" Once the band starts up some shanties and folk tunes, the guests stand up on their benches to sway and sing along.

OKT_Fest3

"Hey hey, up she rises, hey hey, up she rises, early in the morning...!"

OKT_Fest4

The true heroes (heroines) of the fest tents are the wenches and serving girls. Deftly navigating a forest of swaying legs of tipsy sailors precariously perched on rickety benches, the balance their cargo, sometimes 3 to 4 liters in a hand, to keep the tent well lubricated.

OKT_Fest5

Beer is clearly the beverage of choice, but then again, a fish has to swim, and a pirate has to drink rum. 

OKT_Fest7

There are no enemies in the fest tent. From the far corners of the Brick Seas come mariners, soldiers, traders, sea rats but all are brethren once the kegs are tapped and the music begins. 

OKT_Fest6

Long wooden tables and benches crammed in like fish in a barrel... Singing, spilling beers, stomping on benches, serving girls darting between guests, flowers, colorful canvas, flags, guitars...

OKT_Fest10

"What shall we do with a drunken sailor?"

OKT_Fest9

(I have to say, when I started thinking about this, I just thought it would be a cute idea. But, as a #Murican living in Southern Germany with the last two fests cancelled and no sign of any of us being able to enjoy anything like this anytime soon. This build turned into a tiny little labor of love with some serious nostalgia. Pro Tip: Cool to stand on benches, totally not cool to stand on tables.)

Edited by CapOnBOBS
re-reading category descriptions, changed to Commerce

Happy atmosphere in the fest tent. Good idea to use the sail from the Armada Flagship as a tent roof.

Some great classic minifigs used here and together with the old school flowers this has a nice classic feel. The atmosphere of a crowed beer tent is captured well. Nice Oktoberfest entry and welcome to BoBS!

PS. If you are licensing this it should be an artisan - not commerce.

Something I had trouble getting my head around when I first started as well, but taverns and bars are artisan properties, not commerce.

So many great things about this build. The use of the sail as a tent, the lively crowd, and the cloth you placed the build on works really well to enhance the overall atmosphere of the build. A very strong entry, and well done. 

Looks excellent @CapOnBOBS! Excellent use of the sail, and great job packing all the minifigs into such a small space. The build turned out great, and I'm happy to see another great builder on the Brick Seas!

16 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

So many great things about this build. The use of the sail as a tent, the lively crowd, and the cloth you placed the build on works really well to enhance the overall atmosphere of the build. A very strong entry, and well done. 

An actual fest shirt I bought in Bavaria 2 years ago :pir-huzzah2:

Another fine addition to Oktoberfest. Once again, this build really captures the spirit of the event. You can notice you were a participant, because the atmosphere and setting are perfect. The addition of the red/white shirt as backdrop is just the cherry on the cake.

Good to see people have time to spend on festival activities.:pir-huzzah2: Great use of the sail piece.