Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[GOC-FB-COR] The Quinnsville University Library

Type: Medium Educational

Quinnsville had grown quickly over the last few years, and with the establishment of the University of Quinnsville in 619, the students were already crowded on the campus.

50495715723_17b8f9400e_z.jpg

Fortunately, a grant by a mysterious benefactor had allowed them to build a new library to help ease some of the campus's crowding issues. Today however, someone had illegally parked a small horse drawn cart in front of the main entrance.

50496577847_b4bcf26e0f_z.jpg

As Campus security ticketed the cart, an official Corrish Messenger walked towards the library...

50496422116_186c8157ab_z.jpg

"So after a party last year, I tell Mayor Brickwood that the library in the main building was too small. Like, you could barely haul kegs through some of the doors. Sure you could get them through the main doors, but like, into the library? It was just too tight a corridor." Said the Count to his loyal accountant Darby.

50495715193_4098fa0561_z.jpg

"And I tell him that the WTC could fix the problem with a WTC-Brand hammer, and about 15 minutes. But apparently, the "construction" zoning "laws" in this 'town' prohibit it."  Continued the Count, gesturing wildly.

"Just please tell me why we're in Quinnsville." Said Darby, understandably exasperated.

"Look over there." Said the Count, pointing to a carved sandstone head.

50495715103_67147fa544_z.jpg

"So I tell him that if we can't make the library doors bigger, than we just need a separate library to hold keg parties in." Said the Count.  "And he gets annoyed, and starts going off about how that's not at all what university libraries are for." Continued the Count. "Anyways, I say, 'Sir,. You need a party library, I'll buy, do you want a red one or a grey one? He kinda scowls at me, but I took that as permission to fund the construction of a new, better, library with appropriate doors for moving large bottles through. Oh, and I picked grey."

Darby looked at a small bust of an unidentifiable head.

"They did get my hair wrong." Said the Count, no less enthused. "But true art resists interpretation."

"Someone chipped the 'o' off on your title, Count" said Darby, dryly.

50496577187_9c072f0ef2_z.jpg

The two were interrupted by a formal messenger. "Count Mesabi of Debonshire, you have a formal correspondence from the Crown of Corrington."

"Thank you gentlemen. The Queen thanks you for your service." Said the Count in a suspiciously formal tone. "Darby, we must get going, we are needed in a formal capacity."

50496577037_8cd7256924_z.jpg

Without a moments hesitation, the Count power-walked outside, leaving Darby and the messengers behind.

"Count, what's going on?" yelled Darby, hurrying after him.

50495714518_6584282da8_z.jpg

"We have work to do!" the Count said, mounted the horse, and untied it from the post.

50495714288_00043df458_z.jpg

Darby hurried after him. "The last time we had 'work' to do, I was on a boat in the south for over a year!" he muttered.

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build! I've been meaning to do an educational build in Quinnsville since @lm71blackbird put out that amazing university build about a year ago, but I never got around to it until now. The build went through a few iterations. Originally the second floor was far more plain, and was essentially white paneling. Fortunately, @Ayrlego gave me some great ideas, including setting the paneling in half a tile, which really made it pop in my opinion.

This build is a GOC build, task 5. @Bregir, @Ayrlego , @Captain Dee , @SilentWolf

As for the story, no harm intended towards Quinnsville, I always like seeing your settlement grow LM71, and I enjoy being a part of it. Please understand any misnaming, is just me having the Count be rude IC. What is in the Count's mysterious note from the crown? We'll see! :pir-grin: (hint, I love Corrington!)

Shots without figures

Neat! Looks like a proper library with the high ceilings and the arches and stuff. The book cases are well-made. Maybe you could've stuffed some more books in there to give it an even more "full" appearance?

I don't know if it's intentional, but I also like the way the light grey color of the facade blends with the grey-ish lighting on your backgrop paper. At first glance it makes the facade seem like it vertically goes on forever, making it seem a lot taller.

I feel this is one of your better builds, @Mesabi. It just looks really clean and polished. The story made me chuckle, specifically the part where Darby points out that they scratched out the 'o' in the Count's title :grin:.

Beautiful. You took my improvements in, I see. It's really nice and I love the indented doorway. Great work!

Nice library I like the construction. The floor inside the building looks nice and is a good idea because you can put the minifigures on it. I would build the balusters on the second floor a little higher. If someone stumbles, they'll fall down.

The extra details really brought this to life Mesabi - it looks great! The façade itself turned out well, I think the offset definitely helped, but also the additional details such as the SNOT tiles, lanterns and crests. The thing that really stands out here compared to some of your previous work is the attention to detail across the whole build. The ground outside is a nice mixture of tiles and plates and the gardens add enough green to help the build 'pop'! The inside may be a little sparse, but I think it works well to tell the story and the statue with the scratched out 'O' was hilarious! Again, the all round attention to detail really propels this to a higher level. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

19 hours ago, Khorne said:

Neat! Looks like a proper library with the high ceilings and the arches and stuff.

Thanks, I'm glad you think it turned out well.

The book cases are well-made.

I keep getting complemented on these book cases, but they are in no way mine! :pir-look: They're from the Dr. Strange set, which I modified with different book colours, and made free standing.

Maybe you could've stuffed some more books in there to give it an even more "full" appearance?

What I should have done, is torn up the tiling around the edges of the build, and put in more bookshelves. The flooring, and the layout of the build weren't very cohesive to scatter, so I figured the lesser of the two evils was to have a 'neater' appearance, with fewer bookshelves, then making it look like I had crammed in a ton of scatter and shelving.

I don't know if it's intentional, but I also like the way the light grey color of the facade blends with the grey-ish lighting on your backgrop paper. At first glance it makes the facade seem like it vertically goes on forever, making it seem a lot taller.

I feel this is one of your better builds, @Mesabi. It just looks really clean and polished. The story made me chuckle, specifically the part where Darby points out that they scratched out the 'o' in the Count's title :grin:.

It wasn't intentional, I'm just glad the photography turned out ok! I'm glad it looks well though.

I'm glad you liked both the build and story, thank you! :pir-blush:

12 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Wonderful build mesabi! Entertaining story and a great addition to the University. :thumbup:

Thanks Blackbird! I enjoyed building it, and I'm glad your university gave me a story hook. 

11 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Beautiful. You took my improvements in, I see. It's really nice and I love the indented doorway. Great work!

Thank you! I saw your comments on flickr, and I appreciate the feedback. Originally I was planning on doing 2 large banners down on the side, and a large window on a 3rd floor, but I think this looks better.

10 hours ago, NOD said:

Nice library I like the construction. The floor inside the building looks nice and is a good idea because you can put the minifigures on it.

Thank you NOD! I am always of the opinion, that every building should have some sort of interior. (perhaps my only critique of @Ayrlego :pir_laugh2:) So I build quite a few facade builds, as I've found it is quite hard to do a proportionally 'correct' build with an interior and exterior.

11 hours ago, NOD said:

I would build the balusters on the second floor a little higher. If someone stumbles, they'll fall down.

That's a feature, not a bug. Do you know how hard it is to get rid of tenured professors? :pir-laugh:

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

The extra details really brought this to life Mesabi - it looks great! The façade itself turned out well, I think the offset definitely helped, but also the additional details such as the SNOT tiles, lanterns and crests. The thing that really stands out here compared to some of your previous work is the attention to detail across the whole build. The ground outside is a nice mixture of tiles and plates and the gardens add enough green to help the build 'pop'! The inside may be a little sparse, but I think it works well to tell the story and the statue with the scratched out 'O' was hilarious! Again, the all round attention to detail really propels this to a higher level. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Thank you so much! I really have been trying to make sure that every build is the best it can be, and I'm glad that it shows. I agree with the comment on the interior, but I really had trouble making the scatter look decent in this build. I'm glad you like the story as well!

Nice job on the facade and the alternating dark blue and grey for the interior floor.  I'm only a little bit curious as to where you got so many dark blue 2x2 jumpers. :pir-grin:

Nice build and appropriate Mesabi story. :pir-grin: That facade is stately and I really appreciate the effort you've put into polishing your builds. And the extra work on the front makes a visible difference. Approved for the Glory of Corrington. :thumbup:

On 10/17/2020 at 3:38 AM, Mesabi said:

"Someone chipped the 'o' off on your title, Count" said Darby, dryly.

:oh: :iamded_lol:

On 10/18/2020 at 5:01 AM, Fraunces said:

Most has been said already , so I'll keep it simple: fun story, and a good build :pir_laugh2:

Thank you!

On 10/22/2020 at 5:12 PM, Kai NRG said:

Nice job on the facade and the alternating dark blue and grey for the interior floor.  I'm only a little bit curious as to where you got so many dark blue 2x2 jumpers. :pir-grin:

Thanks! Checkered floors with jumpers is one of my favorite things to do. As for the Jumpers, bricklinked them in bulk! :pir_laugh2:

13 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Nice build and appropriate Mesabi story. :pir-grin: That facade is stately and I really appreciate the effort you've put into polishing your builds. And the extra work on the front makes a visible difference. Approved for the Glory of Corrington. :thumbup:

Thanks Captain Dee!