Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

[BTV1-OL] Kingsport Peekaboo

Having secured the beaches, the brave men of Oléon pressed further into Terraversa to spread their gift of freedom. Amongst those spearheading the assault into Kingsport itself were some regiments of Naval Infantry. Structurally a part of the Navy, these men often find themselves taking part in such sea-to-land offensives The hand-to-hand capabilities they have honed during close quarter boarding parties at sea are useful skills to deploy when the fighting slogs down to dreadful house-to-house combat.

Combined with the sharpshooting and anti-partisan prowess of the Guelphian Tirailleurs, they are a lethal combination sent to deal with the Terraversan resistance. The fighting in Kingsport was intense and while it had not been bombarded by the Navy, there was still buildings that sadly suffered plenty of damage, be it from a stray cannonball or just bearing the marks of war.

In order to stay safe from sharpshooters, Oléonese soldiers tried to advance as much as possible through the houses of Kingsport themselves, fighting for each room and corner, clearing a path towards the palace and finally freedom for Terraversa.

50495339807_cd2de0ca4b_c.jpg

However, sometimes men still ventured outside in support of the interior fighting. A small combined task force hugs the sides of the streets creeping closer to the neighboring house, bomb in hand, in order to take the enemy in a pincer movement.

50495339837_69f2eddf2c_c.jpg

This is not always without danger, for the Terraversan are lurking.

50495182396_90da4c1900_c.jpg

Despite the resistance of the Terraversan militias - in this case, stragglers from the Lone Star Militia that have fallen back from the beach - Oléon will prevail!

50495339927_683e2d8f10_c.jpg

Pour le Roi, pour Oléon!

-----

Full build:

Front side

50495182511_ee92281315_c.jpg

Back side

50495339877_f984c1f690_c.jpg

I hope you like it! Since you liked the effects on the beach scene, I added some here as well. This is also my first try at a studs-out base. It looks really simple to the ones Ayrlego et al put out, but I do think it already adds something extra than "just" a baseplate as bottom. I rather like it and will try better versions in the future.

The minifigs were also a hard part to add, as I wanted to convey action but I also didn't want everything to be too crowded. Maybe there are a bit too few now, I don't know... It was harding finding a balance between clutter, minifigs and still telling a clear visual story.

Anyway, GO OLEON! :grin:

Nice build!

Have you considered adding a back to the house?

23 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Nice build!

Have you considered adding a back to the house?

Thanks!

I would've loved to do so, but I sadly don't have the bricks for that. It would also make photography more difficult. I could fix that by making the full house fold open, but then I'd need even more bricks for that :tongue:.

That is an awesome build. The effects really add to the drama. I don’t know if it was intensional but the faces of those minifigures is spot on.   :thumbup:

That. ramrod. is. brilliant!  Excellent job with the ruined/war-torn buildings as well (sweet bullet holes), and the presentation is top-notch as usual!  I really like your Terraversan uniforms/colors, and the studs out base approach works perfectly with the collapsing environment.  Keep these invasion/counter invasion builds up, y'all! :excited:

10 hours ago, merc said:

That is an awesome build. The effects really add to the drama. I don’t know if it was intensional but the faces of those minifigures is spot on.   :thumbup:

Thanks, merc! Yup, the faces were definitely intentionally chosen to add to the scene.

5 hours ago, Garmadon said:

That. ramrod. is. brilliant!  Excellent job with the ruined/war-torn buildings as well (sweet bullet holes), and the presentation is top-notch as usual!  I really like your Terraversan uniforms/colors, and the studs out base approach works perfectly with the collapsing environment.  Keep these invasion/counter invasion builds up, y'all! :excited:

Thanks! I've used the ramrod technique before in other MOCs. It looks really good. I used the sand green torsos in my previous MOC to distinguish the Terraversans from the bluecoats and decided to continue using them here. It creates a helpful visual divide between friend or foe.

Very nice build! It illustrates well the tactic used by the OL troops, making holes on wall to progress from house to house, and the combination of naval riflemen and tirailleurs will prove its effectiveness in the combat. The action shots look really good too, the smoking and exploding effect is just impressioning.

Looks excellent Khorne, I love the tension in the scene and the wear of the buildings. The use of bricks with built in holes really shows off the damage that Oleon's warmongering has done to an innocent nation of self defined peoples has happened in the battle so far.

All in all the scene looks excellent, and is a fantastic contribution to the story at hand!

Super special effects with the smoke, sparks at the ignition lock of the musket and the muzzle flash. I like the building too. Especially from the inside, I like the beams that support the second floor.

7 hours ago, Bodi said:

Very nice build! It illustrates well the tactic used by the OL troops, making holes on wall to progress from house to house, and the combination of naval riflemen and tirailleurs will prove its effectiveness in the combat. The action shots look really good too, the smoking and exploding effect is just impressioning.

Thanks! I was definitely inspired by your ruined city build as well.

6 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Looks excellent Khorne, I love the tension in the scene and the wear of the buildings. The use of bricks with built in holes really shows off the damage that Oleon's warmongering has done to an innocent nation of self defined peoples has happened in the battle so far.

All in all the scene looks excellent, and is a fantastic contribution to the story at hand!

*Oleon's mission of peace and liberty :poke:

5 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Very nice build, you can really feel the atmosphere!

2 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Great build! Love those effects!

Thanks guys!

26 minutes ago, NOD said:

Super special effects with the smoke, sparks at the ignition lock of the musket and the muzzle flash. I like the building too. Especially from the inside, I like the beams that support the second floor.

Thanks, NOD! The beams actually serve a practical purpose too, because they actually hold up the floor: it's attached to the beams. I like the look of building extra floors like that.

Great combat scene Khorne - my favourite shot has to be the Naval infantryman about to throw the grenade. I really like the lamp post outside as well (faved on Flickr to steal borrow sometime!)

On 10/18/2020 at 2:33 AM, Ayrlego said:

Great combat scene Khorne - my favourite shot has to be the Naval infantryman about to throw the grenade. I really like the lamp post outside as well (faved on Flickr to steal borrow sometime!)

Thanks! That shot is one of my favorites as well. The lamp post is a recycled design from a previous MOC. Since I don't own any of the prefab ones, I have to brickbuild mine.

Excellent build!

Am I correct in assuming that you are committing all troops in Kings Port to attack Oldis' forces there?

(the rules state you must clearly specify the location of the attack and the troops engaged. "All" will surfice for the latter ;) )

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Am I correct in assuming that you are committing all troops in Kings Port to attack Oldis' forces there?

(the rules state you must clearly specify the location of the attack and the troops engaged. "All" will surfice for the latter ;) )

Yes, we are committing all troops (including any reinforcements we get from the free builds). 

I saw the WIP of the build but the overall result is simply impressive! The ruinded buildings, the minifig posing, the effects... everything is perfect. Moreover, if I see well, both the room and the road are only 8 studs wide each... but it really seems a huge battle scene!

9 hours ago, Bregir said:

Excellent build!

Just a little comment (I’m not sure if it matters for the combat rules). We are committing all our forces in the battle, but King’s Port is a large city, so not all our forces are advancing room after room dragging cannons and horses... as we showed in our builds, we are advancing mainly from South and West with light infantry supported by small cannons, while our heavy artillery is around the city, ready to destroy fortified buildings. We have a smaller force trying to pass the river from North and preventing reinforcements from Pamu. Last but not least, we sent forward a small unit of the Order to secure the Quiver Sanctuary and the monks/priests living there 

As always, I really love your builds and innovative ideas! Your minifigs are as always spot on too. (I nearly missed that super-moc btw!)

That's maybe the most out of basically a one-stud-wide-wall-MOC regarding photography and presentation I have seen. Using both sides and many angles, adding the post production effects, the great minifig posing and so on.

Don't get me wrong: The wall is really well MOCed, great facade and texturing. But the amounf of pics and presentation you managed to extract from this is stunning.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:41 PM, Keymonus said:

I saw the WIP of the build but the overall result is simply impressive! The ruinded buildings, the minifig posing, the effects... everything is perfect. Moreover, if I see well, both the room and the road are only 8 studs wide each... but it really seems a huge battle scene!

Yeah, all-in-all the build isn't that big, but I feel you can also tell a good story with a small build. A large MOC can sometimes feel too empty.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:18 PM, blackdeathgr said:

As always, I really love your builds and innovative ideas! Your minifigs are as always spot on too. (I nearly missed that super-moc btw!)

Thanks man!

On 10/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, Elostirion said:

That's maybe the most out of basically a one-stud-wide-wall-MOC regarding photography and presentation I have seen. Using both sides and many angles, adding the post production effects, the great minifig posing and so on.

Don't get me wrong: The wall is really well MOCed, great facade and texturing. But the amounf of pics and presentation you managed to extract from this is stunning.

Hah, yes, you're right: it's basically just a wall if you put it like that :laugh: . I did try to get the most of it and elevate the build via presentation. Glad is was liked and didn't go unnoticed. I'd love to make large MOCs, but I think the quality would suffer because I don't have a large enough collection and the builds would maybe become too bland.