Sign in to follow this  
2GodBDGlory

Broken V2 Receiver Advice

I was wondering if I could get any advice on ways I could fix a V2 receiver of mine.

I got it from a used 9398 Crawler a few years ago, and ever since I got it, it has had a couple of serious "quirks." The first, and most obvious, one is that the red output only runs Servo motors and LEDs, but no other motors. This is annoying, but since my MOCs usually have at least one Servo, I can work around it. The second problem is that if the drive motor is put under too much stress, the motor slows down as if it had a brake being applied to it, and the receiver starts to emit a squealing sound. If I stop sending IR signals and wait a second or two, the system resets, and I can drive again until the receiver gives up again. Right now I have it in a Quad Bike model with a single Buggy motor for drive, powered from a PF rechargeable box, and it will drive mostly fine on a hard floor, but only for a few seconds on carpet. I have taken the receiver apart and had a look inside, and tried to clean a few things up, but there is no improvement.

If anyone has any advice about the cause of this problem, I would appreciate it. I have a soldering iron, and I'm not afraid to use it.

The only thing you can fix is pushing the wires in the idc connectors.
for the rest it's smd electronics that are hard to replace with standard tools.

Or you sure it's the V2 receiver and not the power supply.
I have one batterybox that also does funny things when the power consumption is to big.
Reading your story the motor uses more amperes when driving on a carpet.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, JaBaCaDaBra said:

The only thing you can fix is pushing the wires in the idc connectors.
for the rest it's smd electronics that are hard to replace with standard tools.

Okay, that makes sense

22 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Order a new one off Bricklink.

I may have to, thankfully, prices have dropped since I last checked a year or two ago.

22 hours ago, MikeTwo9398 said:

Or you sure it's the V2 receiver and not the power supply.
I have one batterybox that also does funny things when the power consumption is to big.
Reading your story the motor uses more amperes when driving on a carpet.

I think it does this with all batteries, but I am not sure. I can check

Thanks for the advice!

Are there any capacitors visible on the board? They don't last forever.

Otherwise maybe the fuse is failing? I know there is one, but nothing more than that.

I think that there are capacitors (If I remember correctly from grade 10 science, they are the cylindrical components with two leads on the one end?), and I could possibly replace those with ones from a broken V1 receiver I have. They have a different appearance, though, so they may be different between the two versions.

It's possible to test the capacitors with a basic multimeter. Not something I'm an expert in, but YouTube taught me it can be done.

7 minutes ago, amorti said:

It's possible to test the capacitors with a basic multimeter.

No you can't test caps with a dmm
That is, only a rough guess but you won't find leaks, for that you need an  specilised instrument called ESR meter.
A cap may look good with a dmm but fail in circuit.

Just to mention a completely different alternative: you could roll your own with a microcontroller (say the ESP32) and some motor controller (say the TB6612FNG). I've only started dabbling in making with this stuff (@jabacadabra seems like they'd know much more), but was surprised at how accessible it is, relatively. It's taking this game to a different direction, which some might enjoy and some probably not; am mentioning it just in case you might find it fun.