A-Frame Cabin

An architectural icon from 1950 to about 1975, the A-frame is one of my favourite rural homes ever, a triangle-design built for lounging on outdoor decks and staring at nature.
I built this cabin inspired, in part, by Harlan Hubbard's book Payne Hollow, about living a simpler life in a hand-built home. The author is considered by many a modern-day Thoreau.

Two brothers, Dan and Ethan, burned out on modern working believed that stripping away modern comforts and living more simply in nature would lead to a more spiritually an creatively fulfilling life. They looked for a cabin in the woods and finally found out this old wooden A-Frame Cabin. They fixed up it and now they live there happily.

It's not my first cabin in the woods but it was very funny building the "A" structure and trying to add many weird details. I also played with the light to let the scene as deep as possible. 
To build the basement I ripped off the clever hammers technique by Letranger Absurde.

Below few pictures

50437400796_54d3b1f239_b.jpg

IMG_3722_3000-scaled.jpg

IMG_3724_2500.jpg

IMG_3729_2000-scaled.jpg

IMG_3732_3000-scaled.jpg

Hope you like it!

Very nice!  You have a lot of great techniques here: the hammers as large stones on the porch, the not-fully-engaged roof tiles, the beautiful fall colors, the big fig arms as dirt at the corner... very well done.  The door to the cabin with the slingshot handle and iron hinges is great.  The woodpile looks good, with the potential exception of the cookies.  I see what you were going for but I can't see anything but a giant log of frozen cookie dough stuck in with the logs! :laugh:  The color choices here are great, and you've managed to incorporate a lot of rare and unusual parts, particularly minifig parts, quite well.  Does the cabin have an interior?  Thanks for sharing!

Great :) 

and all those memories it brings...

I really like the area where wood is stored. And think they should fix it up a bit, it starts to fall apart ;)

22 hours ago, Grover said:

Very nice!  You have a lot of great techniques here: the hammers as large stones on the porch, the not-fully-engaged roof tiles, the beautiful fall colors, the big fig arms as dirt at the corner... very well done.  The door to the cabin with the slingshot handle and iron hinges is great.  The woodpile looks good, with the potential exception of the cookies.  I see what you were going for but I can't see anything but a giant log of frozen cookie dough stuck in with the logs! :laugh:  The color choices here are great, and you've managed to incorporate a lot of rare and unusual parts, particularly minifig parts, quite well.  Does the cabin have an interior?  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks @Grover for all your remarks, and I'm sorry for the cookies...:wink:
There 's no interior at the moment, maybe I'll build something in the future.
Thanks for stopping by!

9 hours ago, Mestari said:

Great :) 

and all those memories it brings...

I really like the area where wood is stored. And think they should fix it up a bit, it starts to fall apart ;)

Thanks @Mestari! Ok, they'll fix the woodshed ;)

8 hours ago, menele said:

Cool

Thanks @menele :thumbup:

6 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

Thank you very much @JintaiZ :classic:

Edited by Norton74

Oh wow great build! I love the brick wall technique, as well as every small details you've added to enhance the cabin! 

I like the brick base with the hammer technique.  The A-frame itself is nicely done, I like the roof and the way you set the tiles.  Nice color choices for the build and the landscaping and extra details like the wood pieces is a nice touch.  Nice job.  

12 hours ago, tomclair said:

Oh wow great build! I love the brick wall technique, as well as every small details you've added to enhance the cabin! 

Thank you very much @tomclair :classic:

5 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I like the brick base with the hammer technique.  The A-frame itself is nicely done, I like the roof and the way you set the tiles.  Nice color choices for the build and the landscaping and extra details like the wood pieces is a nice touch.  Nice job.  

Thank you, glad you like the details and the whole diorama :classic: :thumbup: :wink:

So many impressive details ...it could only be you! :laugh:
I remember a house exactly like this when I went to the Dolomites as a child. Seeing this MOC reminds me of that house as if I saw it now! *oh2*
I like the use of hammers for the plinth and the detail of the ruined stairs! :wub:

On 10/16/2020 at 11:57 AM, (Luc)ky Luke said:

Beautiful!

On 10/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, Myst said:

Awesome build!

Thank you very much!

On 10/17/2020 at 10:40 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

So many impressive details ...it could only be you! :laugh:
I remember a house exactly like this when I went to the Dolomites as a child. Seeing this MOC reminds me of that house as if I saw it now! *oh2*
I like the use of hammers for the plinth and the detail of the ruined stairs! :wub:

Thanks a bunch for your kind words. And glad it reminds your childhood memories to the Dolomites :classic:

On 10/18/2020 at 6:54 PM, Tim_AZ said:

This is probably my favorite build so far this year.  Great job.

Happy to hear that, thank ypou very much!

Such a lovely build, reminds me of childhood vacations. This build has so much character in the colors and techniques used.

Great job! :pir-love:

On 10/24/2020 at 6:27 AM, Gregdabrat said:

Wow! That doesn't even look Lego! Nice building techniques

Thank you very much:thumbup:

On 10/24/2020 at 3:16 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Oh this is freaking awesome. Is there an interior?

Thanks! Sorry, no interior :(

22 hours ago, Sarophas said:

Such a lovely build, reminds me of childhood vacations. This build has so much character in the colors and techniques used.

Great job! :pir-love:

Thanks a bunch! Glad it reminds your childhood vacations :)

The A-Frame Cabin is now on LEGO IDEAS!

If you like the bizarre A-Frame Cabin please consider to give it a chance of becoming an actual LEGO IDEAS set.
Click the link below to jump into the the LEGO Ideas project page:

A-Frame Cabin on LEGO IDEAS

Thank you all for your support, comment and shares, very appreciated!

IMG_3701_2000.jpg

A-FrAme Cabin fully detailed interiors are out now!

Support on LEGO IDEAS!

The past weekend I’ve worked hard to complete the A-Frame interiors and now they are ready!
The A-Frame/C features a complete interiors with two floors: the upper one with the bedroom; and the ground floor with the living room and kitchen.
The whole interior is chock full of details that make the set very playable. You can easily open the two roofs to access inside and play with the utensils and surprising accessorie including table and chairs, a wood stove and many more. And it’s so enjoyable!

Do you like the A-FrAme Cabin? With your support, hopefully we can turn it into an actual LEGO Ideas set, please support clicking the link below

http://bit.ly/A-frame-by-Norton74

IMG_4268_2500.jpg

IMG_4283_3000_darker-scaled.jpg

IMG_4273_2500.jpg

IMG_4281_2500.jpg

Nice looking.
Now I wonder how a cabin like this would have looked on the inside in the 18th-19th century

13 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

Great build, no surprise it really took off.
Anyway, I love the new interior features =)

Thank you very much! We passed the 9.000 supports few hours ago...

Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Nice looking.
Now I wonder how a cabin like this would have looked on the inside in the 18th-19th century

Thank you very much!
That's a very good point...

10.000 THANKS!

A few days ago my A-FrAme Cabin achieved the coveted 10,000 votes on LEGO IDEAS: it's unbelievable!
I've worked hard these 42 days to promote the project and I am delighted to have achieved the goal.
I thank everyone who helped me in this incredible adventure. I don't know how it will end up but I am already very happy and satisfied with it.
Thank you all, you're awesome!

IMG_4311_2000_IG-1.jpg

My A-FrAme Cabin is the next official LEGO IDEAS set and...I still can't believe it!

It's been more than 24 hours now since the news that my A-FrAme Cabin will be the next LEGO IDEAS set and I still can't believe it...Yet it's all true!
Maybe you have already read the post somewhere but I still want to thank all those who voted and shared the project and all of you who have been following and supporting me for years!
And now we just have to wait for the A-FrAme Cabin to hit the shelves of the LEGO STORE...what an incredible thrill🔥
THANK YOU, you're awesome😊

51893462216_4612dd36d8_k.jpg

Edited by Norton74