Hi all, I have created a video of some generic torque and power insights in relation to trying to create a high performing 2 speed automatic gearbox for a vehicle. The most interesting insight for me was the realization of an optimal operating point for electric motors to achieve maximum output power from the motor. I also derive the power distribution of a split path torque transfer design, and demostrate some experimental results using it. Hope you find it interesting.

Good solid o level (uk exam taken at 16..) physics! But then applied to Lego... i've always been sure that my mechanical competence as an adult has it roots in technic as a kid. I ride bikes and rebuild my own engines when needed, and obviously ALL maintenance.. i'd never dream of using a garage for anything less serious than rebuilding a cylinder head... I hear on the radio that adults take pushbikes to shops to have a puncture mended. A puncture?! i was mending them myself from the age of 6... I think this is due to computer games and social media obsession, rather than playing with technic lego and fixing go carts and push bikes.. 

Anyway, i digress. Lego is the answer to everything (its not 42 after all..), and is genuine engineering. Brilliant video and explanation as always.

ps. i've got a big tractor moc on the go at the minute, and automatic hi/low gearbox would be the icing on the cake for it... no pressure, but if you could resolve the current issues and release plans for a compact version, that would be lovely!!:roflmao: Overwise i can see me joining you down the rabbit-hole of trying to find one...!!!

Fascinating video! I am glad I found the patience to watch it. Like you said, the coolest thing is finding the maximum possible power output for a Lego motor. Right now I am working on building a massive pickup truck with an 8-speed automatic gearbox. It has fully electronic control, with a Powered Up hub controlling both drive and shifting, and so I essentially have full control over when the shift points will be. Knowing this, I can fine-tune it to offer me the peak power! Sadly, I don't know if there are any spec charts for PU XL motors yet...

Anyways, if nothing else, I discovered the real reason I need to study Calculus: To improve my Technic models!

3 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Good solid o level (uk exam taken at 16..) physics! But then applied to Lego... i've always been sure that my mechanical competence as an adult has it roots in technic as a kid. I ride bikes and rebuild my own engines when needed, and obviously ALL maintenance.. i'd never dream of using a garage for anything less serious than rebuilding a cylinder head... I hear on the radio that adults take pushbikes to shops to have a puncture mended. A puncture?! i was mending them myself from the age of 6... I think this is due to computer games and social media obsession, rather than playing with technic lego and fixing go carts and push bikes.. 

Anyway, i digress. Lego is the answer to everything (its not 42 after all..), and is genuine engineering. Brilliant video and explanation as always.

ps. i've got a big tractor moc on the go at the minute, and automatic hi/low gearbox would be the icing on the cake for it... no pressure, but if you could resolve the current issues and release plans for a compact version, that would be lovely!!:roflmao: Overwise i can see me joining you down the rabbit-hole of trying to find one...!!!

One less sophisticated, but very tough (suitable for a tractor, I suppose) 2-speed automatic can be found here: