I'm doing something simple this time after building two complex MOCs. Given that I'm busy with college right now, this should be a pretty manageable project for me. It'll be a simple tracked loader model with subtractor drive. I've already got the subtractor mechanism built, and it'll likely be the rear sprockets that'll be driven. The propulsion motor is a C+ XL and the steering motor is a C+ L. The C+ hub will likely sit in the front of the chassis towards the bottom (assuming it's the rear sprockets that'll be driven) and bucket elevation/tipping will be a C+ XL and C+ L, respectively. As for the bodywork, I'm planning on making it bright light orange with the pieces from the 42099 set.

If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

kglvXkw.jpg

S7u3mVx.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Great concept!

It'd be nice to see a video showing it in action, but I'm already impressed with it in the photos. I look forward to see the final result!

46 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Great concept!

It'd be nice to see a video showing it in action, but I'm already impressed with it in the photos. I look forward to see the final result!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it :classic:

UPDATE 10/14/20

I've made some progress over the weekend. The chassis is essentially complete now, with all electronics in place. The Control+ hub sits towards the front of the chassis, resulting in a lower center of gravity. The C+ XL motor towards the front will drive the two LAs elevating the bucket, and the C+ L motor towards the back will tilt it. I'm anticipating a bucket tilt mechanism similar to the 42081, as it takes little space. The tracks still need a support structure with the rollers and bogies, and after that the tracks will be ready to go on. It does drive a little fast when I tested it, but since I'm controlling it with the BuWizz app like I did with my Bergmann, it should be fine.

If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photo:

5uQNuZN.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 10/29/20

I've made some pretty good progress on this MOC over the last few days. Most notably, the track bogies and rollers and the linear actuators for bucket elevation are in place. I've also made some modifications along the way - for instance, the rear sprockets are now driven through planetary hubs. Previously it drove way too fast and had insufficient torque, and now its speed and torque are much more realistic. Because of this modification, the front sprockets (the idlers) are now also attached to wheel hubs - part 11950.

The mechanical connection to the linear actuators for bucket elevation has also been drastically changed. It is elevated two studs up as previously it was too close to the tracks, and the two LAs are no longer connected to their motor using knob gears (or bevel gears of any kind). I anticipate this setup to withstand stress much better, especially when the LAs' clutches engage. Because they are driven with a 12:20 reduction from the motor, the bucket tilt mechanism (which has yet to be built) also got a 12:20 reduction.

Overall the model now performs much better, and I anticipate getting its arm built soon.

Photos:

kRHzjvL.jpg

NK4qzaU.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 10/31/20

A little more progress on the model - most notably the arms and bucket are now in place. I did have to modify some parts to make things work, such as replacing the u-joints for the bucket elevation LAs with bevel gears as they are at a pretty steep angle when fully extended. My original plan to use a design like the 42081 also got changed to a more traditional bucket tilt mechanism as there was enough space for such a linkage to fit even with the arms lowered.

Another, more major modification is the tracks - there are now 3 sets of bogies per track as the model was having an issue with tilting forward as the bucket was raising. Now the model is much more stable than before. I also redesigned this part to make it look more realistic. At this point the functional stuff with this model are pretty much all done, and I'll be moving onto the bodywork which I plan to make using bright light orange beams/panels from the 42099 set.

This seems to be a good MOC to incorporate Brickstuff LEDs on, so I'll see if I can squeeze them in there as I build the bodywork. Their battery box could sit in the rear section while also acting as a counterweight for the bucket, and lights such as those on the cabin could be illuminated.

Photo:

P1OPvAx.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Starting to take shape. Looking forward to see your endresult.

5 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Looks very good.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Starting to take shape. Looking forward to see your endresult.

I'll be working on the bodywork soon, and then it'll be finished :classic:

Edited by JLiu15