Sign in to follow this  
MaximB

[MOC] Enchanted diamond

The idea for this building came from one single part - a Paled Fence, seen in the Newest Items of a local store on bricklink. It seemed to me that the fence would be an excellent decor for a window part (under window). Drew a couple of variants, and then completely turned it upside down :)

50439365721_a04fb81eac_c.jpgEnchanted diamond by Maxim Baybakov, on Flickr

50441812922_012d97e46f_c.jpgEnchanted diamond 1 by Maxim Baybakov, on Flickr

50441632746_15a9b909bc_c.jpgEnchanted diamond 2 by Maxim Baybakov, on Flickr

50441628771_0b7d109528_c.jpgEnchanted diamond 3 by Maxim Baybakov, on Flickr

According to calculations, the roof was supposed to occupy a width of 14.14 studs.
But due to the fact that each tile 2x2 is quite a bit less than 2 studs and roof is assembled in this way, it fits into 14.

50447458632_e1e91b0c1c_c.jpgEnchanted diamond. Roof technique. by Maxim Baybakov, on Flickr

Edited by MaximB

That certainly adds a new literal meaning to studs not on top! That's pretty cool! The front face of the shop certainly pulls off an elegant diamond/ring shop, I'm struggling to figure out what those corner 'pillar' pieces are? Good use either way! The roof looks clean, the walls have a good level of texture to them too. The corner tan colouring is a nice touch, although I wonder if its too linear, and if the staggered corner might present a final touch of finesse to an otherwise already on point build

I really like it :thumbup:

@Fuppylodders the pillar pieces are 3L inserts for Technic gearbox shifters.  I noticed them right away and thought what a fabulous idea!

Some lovely techniques in this build, especially the tiled roof.  I also like the subtle half-stud offset for the top of the shopfront.  Great work. :thumbup:

On 10/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, Fuppylodders said:

That certainly adds a new literal meaning to studs not on top! That's pretty cool! The front face of the shop certainly pulls off an elegant diamond/ring shop, I'm struggling to figure out what those corner 'pillar' pieces are? Good use either way! The roof looks clean, the walls have a good level of texture to them too. The corner tan colouring is a nice touch, although I wonder if its too linear, and if the staggered corner might present a final touch of finesse to an otherwise already on point build

I really like it :thumbup:

Thank you! 
18948, technic, driving ring connector

On 10/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, LennyRhys said:

@Fuppylodders the pillar pieces are 3L inserts for Technic gearbox shifters.  I noticed them right away and thought what a fabulous idea!

Some lovely techniques in this build, especially the tiled roof.  I also like the subtle half-stud offset for the top of the shopfront.  Great work. :thumbup:

Thank you!

On 10/9/2020 at 11:27 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Superb use of the arch piece on the main wall! :wub:

The old man with dollars and the young lady is too funny! :laugh:

Thank you! $$ :)

23 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

Thank you!

Added roof technique to the first post.

The roof is amazing but so are the upside down window facades/fences and arch bricks with inset tiles. Very clean and classy SNOT-work throughout and your clever use of the thin tile lines for the sand yellow corners. Fantastic creation and use of parts and techniques for a sophisticated build.

Wow ?

So many great techniques and the minifigures are spot on! 

Thanks for posting detailed about the roof, that's always my headdace, and this helps me tremendously!

I've already commented on Flickr, but this building is simply too impressive not to comment. The first detail that attracted me was the roof. It looks perfectly realistic with the triangle and and 'diamond' tiles. Thanks for sharing also the downside of the roof. Also, the dk blue fits nicely as a roof color. 

Another great detail of the house was the ground floor. The monochrome storefront looks very interesting with the intricate details, and the items in the store pop-up more effectively. 

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of the middle floor. The detailing around the first-floor windows looks neat, but I'd prefer them wider. The second-floor windows, in my opinion, look too tall, also because of the fence on top as another detail. Perhaps, with another color behind the fence the detail would stand out differently. I don't know, just a wild guess... To get back on the topic, I really like your idea of using the fence and then building a modular around it. You did a great job all-in-all. 

Great building and a great looking roof. Fits very well to the purpose of the building, a diamond shop.
a Lot of great details too, like the pillars too, nice one.

As I said on instagram already, this is almost perfection. I keep looking at the build almost daily and am still admiring everything about it! :)

That roof is fiendishly clever! Was going to ask about it then perfect cutaway, nice

I actually don't like the fence parts much. Could have a cool modern look with an arch piece on the top as well, or flip the whole window assembly sideways..

Anyway very very good build.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:34 AM, DodgeDude5498 said:

Wow, that is extremely clean! Absolutely loaded with awesome techniques, I love it!

Thank you!

On 10/12/2020 at 10:25 AM, Legocitycustoms said:

That roof is awesome.

Thank you!

On 10/12/2020 at 11:50 PM, koalayummies said:

The roof is amazing but so are the upside down window facades/fences and arch bricks with inset tiles. Very clean and classy SNOT-work throughout and your clever use of the thin tile lines for the sand yellow corners. Fantastic creation and use of parts and techniques for a sophisticated build.

Thank you!

On 10/13/2020 at 9:49 AM, kris kelvin said:

What can I say. Great as always :)

Thank you!

On 10/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, jpx said:

Wow ?

So many great techniques and the minifigures are spot on! 

Thanks for posting detailed about the roof, that's always my headdace, and this helps me tremendously!

Thank you!

On 10/13/2020 at 4:20 PM, jalemac34 said:

Excellent work....

Thank you!

16 hours ago, Redhead1982 said:

I've already commented on Flickr, but this building is simply too impressive not to comment. The first detail that attracted me was the roof. It looks perfectly realistic with the triangle and and 'diamond' tiles. Thanks for sharing also the downside of the roof. Also, the dk blue fits nicely as a roof color. 

Another great detail of the house was the ground floor. The monochrome storefront looks very interesting with the intricate details, and the items in the store pop-up more effectively. 

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of the middle floor. The detailing around the first-floor windows looks neat, but I'd prefer them wider. The second-floor windows, in my opinion, look too tall, also because of the fence on top as another detail. Perhaps, with another color behind the fence the detail would stand out differently. I don't know, just a wild guess... To get back on the topic, I really like your idea of using the fence and then building a modular around it. You did a great job all-in-all. 

Uhh, the fence divided people into two camps :)))
Thank you!

16 hours ago, neonic said:

Great building and a great looking roof. Fits very well to the purpose of the building, a diamond shop.
a Lot of great details too, like the pillars too, nice one.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, peedeejay said:

As I said on instagram already, this is almost perfection. I keep looking at the build almost daily and am still admiring everything about it! :)

Thank you! ))

8 hours ago, Merlict said:

That roof is fiendishly clever! Was going to ask about it then perfect cutaway, nice

I actually don't like the fence parts much. Could have a cool modern look with an arch piece on the top as well, or flip the whole window assembly sideways..

Anyway very very good build.

Thank you! 

Oh gosh, it's so good. The design is simply exceptional! Every single element is used so darn effectively, it's making my head spin. :wub: Stunning model!

This is beautiful, a superb build with so many lovely details. It is the perfect look for an expensive store selling diamonds. Thanks for sharing your technique for the diamond roof!!

On 10/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, Lasse said:

Very beautiful house. I really like the roof.

Thank you!

On 10/14/2020 at 5:58 PM, ExeSandbox said:

Oh gosh, it's so good. The design is simply exceptional! Every single element is used so darn effectively, it's making my head spin. :wub: Stunning model!

Thank you!

On 10/16/2020 at 6:39 PM, Myst said:

Really nice build!  Congrats!

Thank you!

On 10/17/2020 at 1:21 AM, alsielou said:

This is beautiful, a superb build with so many lovely details. It is the perfect look for an expensive store selling diamonds. Thanks for sharing your technique for the diamond roof!!

Thank you!

Great build, with the roof & ground floor being the highlights.

Just like @Redhead1982, I'm also not that big a fand of the rest of the middle two floors. The first floor is ok, a bit simple for my personal taste, but it's executed well and looks harmonious. The second floor windows feel to tall to me, too. On the other hand, very nice snot work around and literally in the the inverted arches, thumbs up!

I also like the plate/tile combination used to achieve the stonework effect on the corners.

I'll have to spend some time studying the roof construction, just because I love when people achieve things with Lego that Lego isn't really meant to do :D. And it looks amazing!
The storefront also looks incredible, just simple & elegant.

This is great! I like the overall palette and all the little detailing is gorgeous. I've recently started getting back into completing LEGO sets since I can work from home as a writer for admission-writer.com/blog/georgetown-essay-prompts and afford all the new sets coming out, makes me wish more user-created sets were put into production.

Edited by JaimeeGarrison