Sign in to follow this  
Munchkin255

[Looking for help] Technic switch and drive outputs

I am trying to build a mechanism where a single motor can switch between different outputs and drive them one at a time.

In the video below I have built my own idea of a possible design, but I am thinking, that it might be possible to build a more elegant design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrPpN9M21Y4

Can anyone please share with me any great ideas to solve this task.

Thanks / Carsten

Edited by Munchkin255
Tried to fix Youtube embedded video - didn’t succeed

Use a one-way clutch to spin wave selectors when motor is rotating in one direction. And use another one-way clutch to spin the selected output.

I have a fairly compact distribution box that can spin however many axles you wish to add in either direction without changing the motor direction. It uses gear selectors so you can keep adding more outputs until friction and backlash get the better of you. I’ll put some pics up if you’re interested.

Having watched your video you could do a circle of planetary gears and an off set gear in the centre that contacted the planet gears in sequence as it spins.

50453532413_7e746e7af8_b.jpg

I got curious about this and made this. When you spin the knob wheel it rotates the 24 tooth cog around the stationery 8, the outputs are the yellow spacers. You can change the hearing by swapping the order and size of the chain of three gears. At the moment each output does a full turn with every strike of the 24 tooth gear.

The one below makes a 3/4 turn of each output but has a much smoother action and fewer snags by just using an offset gear on the central shaft.

50454302026_7714dd0910_b.jpg

Edited by MinusAndy

Thank you both for your replies and good ideas.

What I am trying to achieve is to drive something like a gripper and arm with just one motor. This should allow for the gripper to move up and down - and to open and close.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, Zerobricks said:

Use a one-way clutch to spin wave selectors when motor is rotating in one direction. And use another one-way clutch to spin the selected output.

I think this is a great idea. I could build a selector with four outputs. My initial build has shown some disadvantages:

- Many moving parts
- Since the selector cannot reverse It will need to operate without any hard stops, so that it can turn indefinitely, this can make it difficult to know when to stop the selector.
- Quite bulky design

17 hours ago, MinusAndy said:

I got curious about this and made this. When you spin the knob wheel it rotates the 24 tooth cog around the stationery 8, the outputs are the yellow spacers. You can change the hearing by swapping the order and size of the chain of three gears. At the moment each output does a full turn with every strike of the 24 tooth gear.

Also a great idea. I never figured out myself to use offset gears. I think I will explorer planetary design a little more.

Cheers Carsten