Hello everyone,

I want to present you my first published MOC, a replica of the Mercedes-Benz Zetros 4X4. This model is fully RC and has the following features:

• All wheel drive
  • Differentials on all axles - front, central and rear diff-lock
  • Live axle suspension
  • Remote controlled pneumatic crane
  • Outriggers
  • Detailed 6 cylinder inline engine
  • Open able doors and bonnet
  • Trailer hitch

The truck is powered by 3x Buwizz, so it has a lot of power, but it is also very heavy, so it is not very usefully in difficult terrain.

DSC03677.JPG

DSC03670.JPG

DSC03682.JPG

DSC03688.JPG

DSC03684.JPG

You can find more pictures on: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Lukes_Brick_Studio/mercedes-benz-zetros-4x4

You can find the instructions on: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-53739/Lukes_Brick_Studio/mercedes-benz-zetros-4x4/#details

Comments, suggestions and questions are always appreciated.

It looks very good indeed! Maybe you could use the planetary hubs from 42099 to give it more climbing power?

Great model!

Perhaps you could use yellow on the front part of the truck to make it look even better.

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

It looks very good indeed! Maybe you could use the planetary hubs from 42099 to give it more climbing power?

Agree, since real Zetros has planetary hub reduction and not portal axles :wink:

BTW very cool Zetros (1833 model)

Nice model. Could you give us some more insights into the specs? How many motors etc.?

For the topic climbing power: You're using the small 12 teeth gears as first geering after the motors. They're maybe much to week for the power of the XLs.

Thank you, for all nice comments. 

10 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

The idea with the planetary hubs from 42099 is great. I am already thinking of build another improved 6X6 version, without a crane (focus more on driving) with the planetary hubs.

8 hours ago, jrx said:

Nice model. Could you give us some more insights into the specs? How many motors etc.?

For the topic climbing power: You're using the small 12 teeth gears as first geering after the motors. They're maybe much to week for the power of the XLs.

I agree to that, maybe the 12 teeth gear could be to weak for the power of the motors.

More facts to the model:

• Length: 68 cm ; height: 28 cm ; width: 20 cm ; weight 3,8 kg
  • Driving: 4x XL-Motors
  • Steering: 1x L-Motor
  • Pump: 1x L-Motor
  • Pneumatic valves: 4x L-Motors for the pneumatic of the crane and the outriggers and 1x M-Motor for the pneumatic of the diff-locks
  • Crane rotation: 1x L-Motor - The crane can rotate 180° degrees, the rotation is limited by the pneumatic tubes.
  • Outriggers: 1x M-Motor
  • Powered by 3x Buwizz

In total: The model uses 13 Motors.

Edited by Lukes_Brick_Studio

Thank you for the details.

1 hour ago, Lukes_Brick_Studio said:

I agree to that, maybe the 12 teeth gear could be to weak for the power of the motors.

I had similar problems when building my Zetros 2733. I also used XL motors but they were too strong for the gearing. So I switched to the buggy motors. Here's a video showing the first prototypes

4 minutes ago, Lukes_Brick_Studio said:

Wow, that power is insane. I actually noticed your amazing Zetros 6X6 model, but I did´t know that it is that powerful. Really impressive!

Thank you! Was hard and long trial and error to get there. But it's not as performant as in those video. The final truck managed still around 50 degree slope. 

On 10/9/2020 at 2:36 PM, jrx said:

I suppose that with XL motor 8-24 gearing is optimal due to higher torque... I've noticed that you used XL motors directly mounted on axle in one of your Zetros.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, I_Igor said:

I've noticed that you used XL motors directly mounted on axle in one of your Zetros.

That's right. Each XL is driving one wheel via 90 degree corner over knob wheels and planetary gears . Gear ratio is as suggested by yours 8 to 24 (or 1 to 4).

6 hours ago, jrx said:

That's right. Each XL is driving one wheel via 90 degree corner over knob wheels and planetary gears . Gear ratio is as suggested by yours 8 to 24 (or 1 to 4).

Thanks buddy; I think you have type error - it should state in brackets (or 1 to 3) :wink:

(nr. 4 is very close to nr. 3); 

On 10/12/2020 at 5:35 AM, I_Igor said:

it should state in brackets (or 1 to 3) :wink:

No, that's the right ratio. If you go from 8teeth gearwheel onto 24teeth it's 1:3, but in planetary gears it's different. The ratio depends on which part auf the construction is fixed. If the outer ring (ring gear) is fixed the ratio is 1:4. If the carrier is fixed it's 1:3.

8 minutes ago, jrx said:

No, that's the right ratio. If you go from 8teeth gearwheel onto 24teeth it's 1:3, but in planetary gears it's different. The ratio depends on which part auf the construction is fixed. If the outer ring (ring gear) is fixed the ratio is 1:4. If the carrier is fixed it's 1:3.

so basically I I use differential from Unimog 8110 set (without portal axle huba) then best way is to have XL motor down-gearing from 8 tooth to 24 tooth on shaft that goes to differential...(considering to rebuild my Fastrac in near future to use 2 XL motor instead of 2 L motors, but after I finish hood :grin:)

Wow! That's one awesome truck!

I like the way you packaged everything and little details, like using cylinders over the half shaft a else to look more realistic. I need to get me the air valves with the axle through. The regular valves are painful to operate with any motor....