Deinonychus

Review: 7886 Batman - The Batcycle: Harley Quinn's Hammer Truck

43600006.jpg

Harley & Mistah J.

I want to preface my review by admitting that I’m an unrepentant Harley Quinn fanboy. I’ve been enamored with the character since she first appeared in Batman: The Animated Series back in the 90’s, and I’ve since followed her misadventures through her introduction into the regular Batman series during No Man’s Land, into her own series, and even on the short-lived and not-so-good Birds of Prey TV show. So please excuse any pro-Harley bias.deino2.gif

43600009.jpg

So, down to business. The 267 piece set retails for $30 US ($35 at Toys R Us) and builds up very fast and easy. It consists of Batman’s Bat Cycle, Harley’s Hammer Truck, and brand new Batman and Harley Quinn Minifigs. There is also no lack of weapons. In addition to the usual bag of Bat-accessories and guns, the set also comes with a pair of gray revolvers.

43600008.jpg

Batman in this set has the new “armor” torso print and the hips are the same color as the legs, hinting that this is supposed to represent the movie style Batsuits more so then the traditional comic book “underwear over tights” look. Harley Quinn is a very cool looking Minifig, and I haven’t grinned so much at a new Batman character figure since my first Batman Minifig a couple years ago. The figure is very true to the character, and the torso has been accented with a few shape lines to try and distinguish her as a female despite the boxy body. Harley’s jester cap is an interesting new piece. It seems (to me at least) to be made of a slightly different grade of plastic then we’re used to. It’s molded in red and painted with black and white, and it comes packed in its own separate little baggie. I expect that this piece may have cost LEGO a little more then usual to produce.

pow.jpg

Harley also has a buildable accessory, a giant mallet. Sure, she can’t stand up all that well unless it’s held in specific ways, but it’s neat and most importantly, it’s funny. It’s especially fun for smacking the everloving crap out of other Minifigs with.

43600013.jpg

The Bat Cycle is in bag number one and is a very fast build. This isn’t some little Japanese sport bike like Nightwing’s cycle. This monster is almost a car and seems to pack just the right amount of intimidation for the Caped Crusader to exploit.

43600011.jpg

Thanks to the thick tires (two in front, one in back) it stands up just fine on its own and rolls very well. The huge exhaust pipes are a nice touch and give the thing a look of engine power. The only real flaw is the inclusion of the flick-fire missiles mounted on the sides. But, as with any LEGO model, they can be easily left out without hurting the look of the vehicle.

43600012.jpg

43600014.jpg

The hammer truck is the bulk of this set and a lot more fun then it looks. Of the monster truck persuasion, the vehicle is designed and built with a surprising level of solidity. The axle mounts are particularly impressive. The big wheels and tires just beg you to drive this thing right over the Bat Cycle (or Batman).

43600018.jpg

The mega-mallet gimmick is also a surprise. Not so much for its technical complexity, there isn’t any really, but for the fact that once you start turning the knob at the rear to swing the mallet back and forth, it’s really a lot of fun.

43600015.jpg

There are some low points to the truck design. Again the flick-fire missiles are tacked on and there’s a cargo crate/bed set into the back for Harley’s loot of jewels. The crate would have looked a lot better molded in black. In brown it breaks up the look of the truck a little.

43600016.jpg

Speaking of which, the look of the truck is very pleasing. The red and black Harley Quinn color scheme works really well on the vehicle. There are a few stickers here, and unfortunately, the diamond patterned ones are applied over multiple bricks. The rest, however, are great. Not only does she have an “I Love Joker” bumper sticker, but she has a Joker playing card taped to her dash, I guess serving as a picture of her beloved Puddin’.

43600017.jpg

There is also a sticker for activation of the hammer, which boldly shouts HIT ME!

This is a fun set. A neat new Batman vehicle and a big truck with lots of playability. The Harley Minifig is a must-have for any Bat-Fan and, if you only get one of the Batman sets this year, I’d recommend this one.

The price versus piece-count on this set is a little bit of a deterrent though. This might not be the best set for collectors on a budget or people looking for something completely new and innovative, but anyone buying this for a child can rest assured that the kid will get your money’s worth out of the set through its play value.

When added together and averaged out, the pros and cons of this set combine to give it a score of deino2.gifdeino2.gifdeino2.gifdeino2.gif out of 5. Even if Harley herself is a clean 6 out of 5 :wink:

Why must you taunt us?!

Just kidding, can't wait for the review and to see a detailed view of Ms. Harley Quinn! :laugh:

Ryan

What a showman!, Guess you have to get in before someone else does the review! :tongue: Looking forward to the review....

Looking forward to the review, this looks to be the best of the new Batsets. Funnily enough, it took me a while to realise Ms Quinn whacking Deino was not on the boxart :laugh:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Guess you have to get in before someone else does the review! :tongue:

You got it!

More then a few times I've gotten halfway through the whole photo, editing, and writing process only to see someone else post something before I'm fully done. So I've learned to call dibs :wink:

Darn I was going to review this set. I gues my review will be second.

I look forward to seeing the review.

Novelty sized hammer ON!

Thanks Deino! *huh* BTW, I told my psychiatrist to send you the bill.... :sweet:

Looking forward to the review, this looks to be the best of the new Batsets.

*gasp* Are you kidding me? :oh3:

Honestly, I hate this set. The batbike looks far too blocky, and that Hammer Truck looks super shoddy and thrown together. The only real reason I'd get it at all would be for the Harely Quinn figure - but I'd probably just get her separately on Bricklink. :thumbdown:

Besides, the Tumbler and Robin's Jetski sets look far better to me. They actually seem to have great vehicle designs. No new villian figures, I know, but still some great old ones. :classic:

Er, wait a minute... oh yeah, hope your review gives the real scoop on this kit, Deino. :wink:

*gasp* Are you kidding me? :oh3:

Honestly, I hate this set. The batbike looks far too blocky, and that Hammer Truck looks super shoddy and thrown together. The only real reason I'd get it at all would be for the Harely Quinn figure - but I'd probably just get her separately on Bricklink. :thumbdown:

Besides, the Tumbler and Robin's Jetski sets look far better to me. They actually seem to have great vehicle designs. No new villian figures, I know, but still some great old ones. :classic:

Er, wait a minute... oh yeah, hope your review gives the real scoop on this kit, Deino. :wink:

The batbike may look blocky, but the Hammer Truck is by no means thrown together. Read the instructions, it actually has a great assembly. Add into the fact it has Harley, great wheels, a modable Batbike, awesome stickers and awesome pieces and I'd say this was a win. The Penguin is a bit of a repeat and the Tumbler is too big for me. Either way, it's a great set, Batman 08 wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, which is great.

Thanks all, i hope my HQ wil arive today, and Deinonychus i don't wanna do stupid to you but must i do also a review of the HQ set, i want to do that also a review of HQ without the blurry pics.

Who Want's The Second Riddle?

Harley, the fig, is amazing. Love that hat. :tongue:

Batcycle, meh...ok.

Truck: Flick fire missiles!!?!?? Lego have you no sanity! Sure they're great but you're putting them on every single action set!! :sceptic::hmpf_bad::sadnew:

Hammer thingy; win. Nice truck!

Great review!

A very nice review, thanks Deinonychus.

That Batcycle looks pretty neat.... like a Hells Bats Angels version of that tumbler, a really nifty idea.

The truck looks simply sweet, a smooth design and, this time, TLC´s new habit of vehicle oversizing just works very fine.

A wonderful and very comical vehicle indeed!

And Harley.... oh my, this bill I´ll have to pay for myself.... :cry_happy:

Truck: Flick fire missiles!!?!?? Lego have you no sanity! Sure they're great but you're putting them on every single action set!! :sceptic::hmpf_bad::sadnew:

Yeah.... this starts to become a little annoying. These things simply don´t work in a that much satisfying way.... when I was a child all I

needed to play with my MFs were some old fashioned Classic Space blasters.... zoom zoom, zzzaaap.... honestly, do they

really think that this tiny rockets deliver that much fun?? Just imagine on! :thumbup:

"So, down to business. The 267 piece set retails for $30 US"

What? But it's £30 in the UK! Why, Lego, why?

The '08 Batman sets look like a step up from the somewhat lackluster '07 sets. This looks like a very fun set with a whimsical sense of style very fitting with Harley Quinn's character. The price isn't great, but I guess you gotta pay for that Batman logo.

On the downside ... I am so over the good buy vehicle vs. bad guy vehicle concept. I really wish TLC would get over this. You see it throughout the product line -- Batman, Castle, Mission to Mars, etc.

Thanks for that great and creative review! ) :thumbup:

Could you, plese make a picture of HQ's back? )

Goiod day, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

Thanks for the review, great set, definitely the first of the Batman sets I'll be getting. I love the truck and the Batbike isn't as bad as I thought it was, a win for me.

This set looks really fun! :laugh: The figs are sweet, can't wait to see that Jester in the flesh. Of course, the Jester I'm talking about is the castle one but that doesn't mean Harley isn't a sweet fig! Thanks for that awesome review, Deinonychus!

~Peace

Thanks for the review Deinonychus!

This is an awesome set, It may just be my first Batman set :laugh: