rm8

[MOC] Toyota Trueno AE86 with custom proportional RADIO

Hi,
This is my new Toyota Sprinter Trueno AE86 Time Attack machine that was built out for challenge with my LEGO-mate and his Nissan SX180 with the same config.
Performance is high because of custom remote control and power system. Buying parts and building will cost a lot more than buying proper RC Touring/drift car for play needs.

- RC-Brick adapter to control LEGO motors with RC proportional RADIO remote. Custom, limited production by russian enthusiast. Can handle up to 4 buggy motors, but usually such consumption melt platic connectors...
- 3S LiPo battery with voltage stabilized on 11,4V
Motors are original LEGO
- 2x LEGO Buggy motors for rear wheel drive
- 1x LEGO PF Servo motor for steering

IdnRgkZGrNM.jpg

NtiDy2ZDwNw.jpg

RC adapter is prototype, but group of our fans working on better version, that you can purchase later. I will let you know.

Model has front independent suspension based on 8475 RC Racers steering and suspension module. That module is self centering with heavy duty suspenison arms and big steering angle.
Rear suspension is live axle with drive motors installed on axle.
Body is not 1-piece removable, but separate panels connected to cage frame chassis.

YVg9giERV94.jpg

P610giTzub8.jpg

wFfVpdEsi0c.jpg

ZPBlYuvHpYA.jpg

I4wScLatbKA.jpg

More photos https://vk.com/album177639081_275561985

In the next episodes I will show you more content with another car - Nissan SX180 as contender (author is not me, https://www.instagram.com/gears_of_doctor/) , and detailed reivew (on russian language, but subtitiles translation possible)

qJuwWHtv5IA.jpg

That's awesome, no other word for it!

I'd definitely be interested in the RC solution for models like Greyhound, Koncept Mantis. I guess it's two channel so you'd stick to models like this without extra functions. Wonder how much it will sell for? If it can give plenty of juice to 2x buggy motors, seems like it will replace 2x Buwizz, so it doesn't need to be cheap.

Hell yeah, this is exactly up my alley! Are you doing some kind of jdm car competition?

Is the 86's widebody kit based on any real kit? 

The blue 180 is amazing, cant wait to see more! The visible intercooler piping, massive rear wing and of course some TE37's... :wub: 

You've been modifying bricks in some places tho right?

I am thinking about building a Nissan 180 drift car in 1:8 scale, such an amazing car :pir-love:

Cool!

I see that you used the steering module from the old RC sets, along with a PF Servo! That is a very unusual part usage these days, but it appears effective!

As for the radio-control, I have a little experience with that sort of thing. My brother got a Foxx S911 RC truck a while back, and, despite a relatively low cost, it can allegedly hit 50 km/h! I was looking for some higher performance Lego stuff, so I spent about $50 CAD (more like $35 USD) to buy the complete electrical system from that truck from some replacement part outlet, and then modded the stuff to put it in Lego models. The main problem is that the original motor has way too high RPMs, so it will always destroy the first axle I attach to it, before I have a change to gear it down. Because of this, I am thinking of running my two Chinese Buggy motors off of that RC system (at 9.6V), with the original Servo, sometime.

I have tried that, but it is mostly just a very bulky solution, that couldn't really fit in the light, compact models I wanted to use it in.

23 hours ago, amorti said:

That's awesome, no other word for it!

I'd definitely be interested in the RC solution for models like Greyhound, Koncept Mantis. I guess it's two channel so you'd stick to models like this without extra functions. Wonder how much it will sell for? If it can give plenty of juice to 2x buggy motors, seems like it will replace 2x Buwizz, so it doesn't need to be cheap.

thnak you.

This solution was already tested with Greyhound

23 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Hell yeah, this is exactly up my alley! Are you doing some kind of jdm car competition?

Is the 86's widebody kit based on any real kit? 

The blue 180 is amazing, cant wait to see more! The visible intercooler piping, massive rear wing and of course some TE37's... :wub: 

You've been modifying bricks in some places tho right?

I am thinking about building a Nissan 180 drift car in 1:8 scale, such an amazing car :pir-love:

Hello, yes. We live in neigbourg cities (300 km) and decided to try some kind of competition. Well, it was cool, so we will repeat it again, since I have no time for testing my model, so I have problem with self centering (weared steering module) so challenge was not fair.

I was inspired by Toyota Ae86 TRD bodykit, but I was short in time, so I build it by my own. In fact, only fenders are similar.

3863_1.jpg

Which modified parts do you mean? I have no modified parts in Toyota, but Nissan may be...

Levin Ae111 was my first car. Silvia S15 is most beautiful car in my list, but too complex shapes...was close to buy it...but instead I met my wife?.

may be one day I can built it, cause there is no stock S15 left on our market, only "racers" and expensive showcars

19 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Awesome build!

thank you

14 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Cool!

I see that you used the steering module from the old RC sets, along with a PF Servo! That is a very unusual part usage these days, but it appears effective!

As for the radio-control, I have a little experience with that sort of thing. My brother got a Foxx S911 RC truck a while back, and, despite a relatively low cost, it can allegedly hit 50 km/h! I was looking for some higher performance Lego stuff, so I spent about $50 CAD (more like $35 USD) to buy the complete electrical system from that truck from some replacement part outlet, and then modded the stuff to put it in Lego models. The main problem is that the original motor has way too high RPMs, so it will always destroy the first axle I attach to it, before I have a change to gear it down. Because of this, I am thinking of running my two Chinese Buggy motors off of that RC system (at 9.6V), with the original Servo, sometime.

Chinese BM are good for its price, but you need to know something - I know many pepole who burned them, as I know when voltage was little bit higher than 9V.  Better let @desert752 say some words about them - he maded compare tests.

with RC Brick goal was to improve control of LEGO cars and make possible to use cheaper LiPO power sources and more Amperage power for multi-motor models.

All existing touchscreen controllers (buwizz sbrick) are not-good for fast model even with joysticks connected...

11 hours ago, rm8 said:

?

Chinese BM are good for its price, but you need to know something - I know many pepole who burned them, as I know when voltage was little bit higher than 9V.  Better let @desert752 say some words about them - he maded compare tests.

with RC Brick goal was to improve control of LEGO cars and make possible to use cheaper LiPO power sources and more Amperage power for multi-motor models.

All existing touchscreen controllers (buwizz sbrick) are not-good for fast model even with joysticks connected...

Do you think my RC setup would modulate speed by varying the voltage? If so, I could block the trigger to prevent it from exceeding 9V.

Awesome model and performance, love those drifts too! The use of the RC buggy steering unit is inspired, never even occured to me it could be used with a servo even though I own one.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, Gray Gear said:

The blue 180 is amazing, cant wait to see more!

Seconded!

little update

Whole video is long and in russian Language. Of course you can try read autotranslated subtitiles to know some insides about building such cars, troubles we had

"GEAR SIGN"=>SUBTITILES=>RUSSIAN (auto generated) Then again "GEAR SIGN"=>SUBTITILES=>TRNSLATE=>choose langauge

If you want just action, watch time 0:47 PAIR RICE RACE

next video will be about Nissan SX180 only, including blue drift version with "Black L motors"

in case you want more photos of Nissan