Elephant Knight

[MOC] HMS Redoubtable COMPLETED!

The HMS Redoubtable is ready to sail the seas, and hunt down Pirates, Blue coats, and anyone not flying the red stripes! 

51516242341_20baf2d248.jpgHMS Redoubtable 

112 gun, first rate ship of the line for the Imperial Guards. A true Imperial flagship if there ever was one.

51516473178_647a5cb15c_z.jpgHMS Redoubtable 

Almost 11 months to build. Mind you, there was a move and a wedding to disrupt it, but still, a long time. First ever First Rate ship. first ever three gun deck ship. Second ship based on the 10210 colour scheme. Overall a success. I'm happy with almost every aspect of this. A couple minor things may need some tweaking.

51516474268_81f0253a64.jpgHMS Redoubtable 

Total length of the ship is 50 1/2 inches long, or about 162 studs long. Height is 39 1/2 inches tall. So it's my longest boat, but not my tallest. Certainly the one with the most guns.

51515444207_9ec3d5fdcf.jpgHMS Redoubtable 

51517165550_e7b1f0070e.jpgHMS Redoubtable

51515443802_3bc4381497.jpgHMS Redoubtable 

51516242566_7af642f145.jpgHMS Redoubtable 

Let me know what you think of the finished product! If you don't like it, I'll send a full broadside you way:cannon::pir-grin:

EKnight

ORIGINAL POST:

Hello Gents of Fortune,

I have started working on what is going to be my largest sailing vessel. It's going to be a triple-decker, with a 100+ guns.

(My brother built a 90 Gun ship last year, and I need to top it. I'm the one who is know for building boats, after all.)

So here is the beginnings so far:

50419275548_48f7f685c4.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50419968371_c2acb15e4c.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50420134727_601a661e34.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

It's my first foray into building such a large ship without using the prefab hulls in any way. Bow is looking fairly good, but what do you all think? I'm going for 10210 Imperial Flagship colours, in case you didn't notice :pir-wink:

EKnight

6 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

Hello Gents of Fortune,

I have started working on what is going to be my largest sailing vessel. It's going to be a triple-decker, with a 100+ guns.

(My brother built a 90 Gun ship last year, and I need to top it. I'm the one who is know for building boats, after all.)

So here is the beginnings so far:

50419275548_48f7f685c4.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50419968371_c2acb15e4c.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50420134727_601a661e34.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

It's my first foray into building such a large ship without using the prefab hulls in any way. Bow is looking fairly good, but what do you all think? I'm going for 10210 Imperial Flagship colours, in case you didn't notice :pir-wink:

EKnight

Totally awesome so far, can't wait to see more! (by the way, that bow is awesome! It has an awesome prefab style. It'll work really well I think.) 

Really nice that you build the bow with that technique, had thought about that as well but I always struggled on how to connect it nicely to the sides so that looks quite good with only a very small gap! Congrats on that! Hope we will get more updates on the WIP here, too.

Got some progress done, but now waiting on bricklink orders before I can really go much further.

50446979127_09365f7288.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446104278_2374b370c6.jpgHMS Redoubtable

It gets quite wide at the middle, at least compared to what I have done previously. Not being constrained by the prefab hulls, and all that. Tose were just too small for this project. And here are some blown up shots to get a sense on how I constructed the bow.

50446104033_44731947ce.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446978497_e49fa08448.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446103603_a1c8c14a65.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446795431_d88984573b.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446102978_517d6ed3f7.jpgHMS Redoubtable

EKnight

Looking good so far, but I think it is a bit short. Could you show us the Hull next to a ship of prefabs,so we know how long it is next to it. 

I'm Also not sure about the tiles area here.

HMS Redoubtable

On the lower bow gun deck. I suppose you'll be doing a BSB 2020 bow curve, with the curved tiles there?

The picture do make it seem a short, yeah. Doesn't look as short IRL. As it is, The hull is just over 100 studs long, with about 6 or so studs from the front sticking out. it's 26 studs at the widest point. The stern is likely to slope out a bit, but not much. I'm hoping it wont look as short and wide one the sides are built up, as they are going to be sloping in quite a bit.

If by tiles you mean the cheese slopes, yeah, that is my plan exactly.

EKnight

2 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

The picture do make it seem a short, yeah. Doesn't look as short IRL. As it is, The hull is just over 100 studs long, with about 6 or so studs from the front sticking out. it's 26 studs at the widest point. The stern is likely to slope out a bit, but not much. I'm hoping it wont look as short and wide one the sides are built up, as they are going to be sloping in quite a bit.

If by tiles you mean the cheese slopes, yeah, that is my plan exactly.

EKnight

She's certainly the right length, your right. I mean this piece, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=27925#T=C

Which I see you've used at the bow. Will it be used on other parts too? 

18 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

She's certainly the right length, your right. I mean this piece, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=27925#T=C

Which I see you've used at the bow. Will it be used on other parts too? 

Yes, I see what you mean. I do have a place holder dark red at the bow, waiting for a tan to come in from Bricklink.The stern is likely to use it as well, maybe the longer one, like the Barracuda Bay BSB. Not sure yet exactly how it's going to look at the stern as of yet.

Well, it's only been about 9 months, but I finally have been able to work on the Redoubtable again!

51293836090_eae92b6ed1.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

51293546589_caf9c8d351.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

I had been holding off building for various reasons. Firstly, because I was waiting on cannons to come in with Lugbulk. I'm not having any interior on the boat, but still want/need all the cannons. Then I was in the middle of a slow move, getting married, and now, finally, have free time again after getting settled.

EKnight

How daft must've I been to miss her the first time. Really, really amazing work. That brick-built bow solution is a lot better than what I had come up with, I might borrow few sketches of it if ye don't mind. :pir-wink:

So far so good. :pir-thumb:

Been a good weekend so far. starting to hit some snags, mostly that of waiting for Bricklink orders to arrive, but also having some cabin fever, I mean, cabin troubles. I think it's looking a bit too short and wide. I'm going for a HMS Victory look as much as possible

51305521935_6303297b46.jpgRedoubtable WIP 

51305522000_22466740d0.jpgRedoubtable WIP

51304513916_9ddd1f1ef6.jpgRedoubtable WIP 

51305232719_061d43150e.jpgRedoubtable WIP

Any thoughts on how to improve the cabin, or should I just carry on with what I have?

Got another update for you all. The hull is almost completely done at this point, just need a Bricklink order or two to arrive before I can finish it. Need those same Bricklink orders to start on the masts, so progress is at a bit of a halt then.

51353933088_1b2db1bc31.jpgRedoubtable WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

51354447249_d95ed19be1.jpgRedoubtable WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

It's pretty much exactly 4 feet long at this point, not including the flag at the end.

EKnight

An impressive sight to be sure.
And that's a nice technique to keep the bowlines on the galleon in check (the black flextubes).

This build is really something. MOCs of this scale are somewhat of a rarity i imagine. I'm really enjoying the three level design with actual cannons, they make the ship a rather imposing sight. Looking forward to seeing it with all masts finished.

10 hours ago, Alix said:

This build is really something. MOCs of this scale are somewhat of a rarity i imagine. I'm really enjoying the three level design with actual cannons, they make the ship a rather imposing sight. Looking forward to seeing it with all masts finished.

Thanks. I had originally planned to to have the third deck use my own, smaller designed cannons, but then I realized I pretty much had enough real cannons to do the job, I thought, heck, why not? And yes, it does have cannons on both the port and starboard sides.

EKnight

By Joe! This has turned out into a fine vessel, might I say so meself. An inspiring job ye have done here, all that detail and the sheer size of her. Truly wow! :pir-love:

Impressive ship! It was very interesting to see the different construction phases.