Sign in to follow this  
Elephant Knight

HMS Redoubtable WIP

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello Gents of Fortune,

I have started working on what is going to be my largest sailing vessel. It's going to be a triple-decker, with a 100+ guns.

(My brother built a 90 Gun ship last year, and I need to top it. I'm the one who is know for building boats, after all.)

So here is the beginnings so far:

50419275548_48f7f685c4.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50419968371_c2acb15e4c.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50420134727_601a661e34.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

It's my first foray into building such a large ship without using the prefab hulls in any way. Bow is looking fairly good, but what do you all think? I'm going for 10210 Imperial Flagship colours, in case you didn't notice :pir-wink:

EKnight

Edited by Elephant Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

Hello Gents of Fortune,

I have started working on what is going to be my largest sailing vessel. It's going to be a triple-decker, with a 100+ guns.

(My brother built a 90 Gun ship last year, and I need to top it. I'm the one who is know for building boats, after all.)

So here is the beginnings so far:

50419275548_48f7f685c4.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50419968371_c2acb15e4c.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP

50420134727_601a661e34.jpgHMS Redoubtable WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

It's my first foray into building such a large ship without using the prefab hulls in any way. Bow is looking fairly good, but what do you all think? I'm going for 10210 Imperial Flagship colours, in case you didn't notice :pir-wink:

EKnight

Totally awesome so far, can't wait to see more! (by the way, that bow is awesome! It has an awesome prefab style. It'll work really well I think.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice that you build the bow with that technique, had thought about that as well but I always struggled on how to connect it nicely to the sides so that looks quite good with only a very small gap! Congrats on that! Hope we will get more updates on the WIP here, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some progress done, but now waiting on bricklink orders before I can really go much further.

50446979127_09365f7288.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446104278_2374b370c6.jpgHMS Redoubtable

It gets quite wide at the middle, at least compared to what I have done previously. Not being constrained by the prefab hulls, and all that. Tose were just too small for this project. And here are some blown up shots to get a sense on how I constructed the bow.

50446104033_44731947ce.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446978497_e49fa08448.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446103603_a1c8c14a65.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446795431_d88984573b.jpgHMS Redoubtable

50446102978_517d6ed3f7.jpgHMS Redoubtable

EKnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good so far, but I think it is a bit short. Could you show us the Hull next to a ship of prefabs,so we know how long it is next to it. 

I'm Also not sure about the tiles area here.

HMS Redoubtable

On the lower bow gun deck. I suppose you'll be doing a BSB 2020 bow curve, with the curved tiles there?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The picture do make it seem a short, yeah. Doesn't look as short IRL. As it is, The hull is just over 100 studs long, with about 6 or so studs from the front sticking out. it's 26 studs at the widest point. The stern is likely to slope out a bit, but not much. I'm hoping it wont look as short and wide one the sides are built up, as they are going to be sloping in quite a bit.

If by tiles you mean the cheese slopes, yeah, that is my plan exactly.

EKnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

The picture do make it seem a short, yeah. Doesn't look as short IRL. As it is, The hull is just over 100 studs long, with about 6 or so studs from the front sticking out. it's 26 studs at the widest point. The stern is likely to slope out a bit, but not much. I'm hoping it wont look as short and wide one the sides are built up, as they are going to be sloping in quite a bit.

If by tiles you mean the cheese slopes, yeah, that is my plan exactly.

EKnight

She's certainly the right length, your right. I mean this piece, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=27925#T=C

Which I see you've used at the bow. Will it be used on other parts too? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

She's certainly the right length, your right. I mean this piece, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=27925#T=C

Which I see you've used at the bow. Will it be used on other parts too? 

 

Yes, I see what you mean. I do have a place holder dark red at the bow, waiting for a tan to come in from Bricklink.The stern is likely to use it as well, maybe the longer one, like the Barracuda Bay BSB. Not sure yet exactly how it's going to look at the stern as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.