Hello,

I've being playing Lego (technic) for a while. Although I started when I was a kid, and motors where truly rare, I can see that nowadays motors and controllers are way more frequent. Indeed, I'm surprised with the potential of powered up motors and hub. Further, I'm getting curious about Mindstorms, but I would like to pose the question here before moving forward:

Besides the hardware (i.e. the sensors), what you can do with Mindstorms (EV3) but not with PU?

H.

PU system can't share your program with other person. Only spike app has those function but it is still very hard to find and don't compatibility with other PU hubs.

Hi,

with PU you can share programs with others via LEGO LIFE.

From what you get from LEGO the main difference is the programming languages.

Only mindstorms/Spike offer complex programming languages and help/description for the functions.

Many thanks!

All of this came because i had an offer (100  Euros for a complete EV3 kit) and i considered it. I also digged a little about what's spike prime, EV3 and the newcoming EV4. I think that, for now, i will exploit the possibilities from the PU HUB and the basic programing. Depending on how i go, i will jump into EV4, Spike PRIME....

Indeed, i am wondering what are the major differences between the -kind-of-old- EV3/NXT and the Spike PRIME. And, of course, still a lot of guessing about the EV4. :)

H. 

Hi,

there is no "EV4". It is called "Mindstorms Robot Inventor", and you'll find it here.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news/2020/june/lego-mindstorms-robot-inventor/

And the hardware is same as in the Spike Prime Set. Programming is Scratch or Python, for both.
Spike is the Education set, Robot Inventor in the standard program

6 hours ago, msk6003 said:

PU system can't share your program with other person.

I read somewhere that there is a way to share but it's not easy.
You need to find the map on your device where the "programdata" is stored and copy that to another device.
I've not yet tried this but I suppose some people here will know more about this.

4 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

There a two ways, and both are very simple.

As I wrote above, you can easily use LEGO LIFE to share programs between users.

4 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

You need to find the map on your device where the "programdata" is stored and copy that to another device.

Yes.  Its just copying a folder with text-files.

The path where you find it is:
this Computer/tabletname/Tablet/Android/data/com.lego.common.poweredup/files/Activities

Simply copy it from one device to another.

But: Android only, no iOS

Edited by Lok24

4 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

I've not yet tried this but I suppose some people here will know more about this.

4 hours ago, Lok24 said:

There a two ways, and both are very simple.

As I wrote above, you can easily use LEGO LIFE to share programs between users.

Yes.  Its just copying a folder with text-files.

The path where you find it is:
this Computer/tabletname/Tablet/Android/data/com.lego.common.poweredup/files/Activities

Simply copy it from one device to another.

But: Android only, no iOS

I use Iphone so impossable

Just now, msk6003 said:

I use Iphone so impossable

Only the copying via file system is Android only, you should use LEGO LIFE instead.