Sign in to follow this  
JeffBuilds

[MOC] Shiptember: Cosmic Cruiser

Happy Belated Shiptember!

I'm mostly a Pirates Builder, but I tried branching out this year by actually making a Space-Faring vessel this year, and I feel pretty good about what I've accomplished this year!

20201003_213222.jpg

I call it "The Cosmic Cruiser." In the initial stages, I wanted to create a space ship befitting of the Lego CMF series one "Space Hero" Minifigure, and upon further thinking on it, I wanted to design a ship that looked similar to the one on the original Lego Classic Space Logo.

20201003_213240.jpg

This bird is a heavily modified LEGO Space Police Wave 3 Galactic Enforcer (Majority of play features stripped; and body widened from 8 studs wide to 10. Canonically, it was won in a Space-Police Auction.) Only unoriginal elements are the stickers on either side of the ship, and on the middle fin. All else is 100% Lego, from stock, and collection. Presently has no weapons or defenses to speak of; Might upgrade with stud-shooters or spring-loaded projectile launchers between now and next year.

20201003_213345.jpg

The Crew of the Cosmic Cruiser, Arc-Arklay (Middle; Space Hero with head swapped out for LANCE from Nexxo-Knights), Zeke, (Right; Space-Hero with elements from first printing Ninjago Rebooted Zane. He's good with machines because Cyborg) and RC to the left of the crew. He's an advanced Android shell, piloted by the Cosmic-Cruiser's Ship-Board A.I. Think a Google Smart-Speaker, capable of outrunning Alien Blockades, outmaneuvering Blacktron recon ships, and decyphering Deep-encrypted Broadcasts from Spyrus. Also, with the emotional intelligence of a small child.

So I gutted the flagship model of Space Police 3, and have some interesting Fig-Barf. Is that all? Not quite. My favorite play-feature I added to this ship is a rear boarding ramp and sliding door/airlock!

20201003_213508.jpg

(With turn signals, of course!)

20201003_213519.jpg

Ramp deployed (sliding door play-feature is held shut in "Swoosh" mode by two 1-stud clamp pieces.)

20201003_213651.jpg

And inside view of ship from the sliding door. 

20201003_213724.jpg

Another view of the ship's interior, from the opening top of the ship! inside are two crew cots and a charge station for the Android, a small preparation table with utensils, cabinets, a dedicated place for helmets, 3 special tazers/phasers for the crew, a small garage-type area, and because lack of anything else, a crude brick-built sofa/ship seating.

20201003_213851.jpg

The cockpit, with detailing, mostly printed pieces, with a couple of stickers, and a rare tiny-fig that serves as nothing more than a dashboard ornament/bobblehead (in the second revision, might make it a Blue Space-Man Tiny-Fig with a Blue Classic Space helmet to emphasize it's Bobble-Head status.)

Very happy with what I've made here, however I feel there is considerable room for improvement. The next time I revisit this model, I'd like to:

-Add some defensive counter-measures to the ship, in the form of stud-shooters or projectile launchers. While initially created with the purpose of exploring uncharted Fig-Space and running diplomatic missions, sometimes it's important to defend yourself.

-Expand on the Motor-Pool/Mechanical bay and add a smaller recon vehicle, which may result in revising the entire build, adding a second floor to house a small quad or hovercraft for away missions.

And that's my contribution to Shiptember: 2020. I'd have uploaded this on the 30th, but due to technical difficulties, I could not upload until October 3rd.