merman

Is TLG now definitely phasing out baseplates?

2 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

New road parts ?

If you read the post, they are mock-ups on BL's part designer.

15 hours ago, MAB said:

If those parts do turn out the be correct, I wonder why they didn't go for an 8x8 module (only). It would have similar functionality and strength and without the need for the holes for the middle tile sections to remove them. 

I'd assume it's just because bigger segments are quicker to lay out and rearrange. Plus, smaller indlvidual segments would require more robust supports if you chose to elevate them (same as why you would often opt for larger plates for the upper stories or roof of a building.

On that note, something else I was thinking about with regard to these new bases… being able to elevate or incline roads more easily will probably make it a lot easier to add subterranean structures to like subways or sewers to a layout! :oh3: I wouldn't really expect to see that type of stuff in the City theme, of course, since that sort of stuff could require a considerably more advanced building level and/or higher price point than City sets often have.

While I would not want base plates to be completely phased out I do really like this new road system.  The current generation of road plates with that stupid printed sewer grate annoy me greatly.  Without that sewer grate print you could used them for highways, runways, racetracks, moon bases, and such.  Thanks to that print they are basically stuck as an inner city street.  This new system could easily solve the highway, runway, and space landing pad issue in a far better way than current base plates would ever allow.  Racetracks would depend on whether or not there is decent curve system planned.  Too bad the heli-carrier set didn't wait a year and use the new system for its flight deck instead of the grate plates.

As far as compatibility with modular buildings, well I don't think road base plates of any sort look good with those.   Unless of course you are completely rebuilding the building on to the road plates there by destroying the entire modular aspect and causing things to not line up to the next road intersection anyway.  So once you get to the point of realizing you need to do some built up roads anyway, I have been seriously considering rebuilding my buildings on regular plates just to line everything up better.  This new system would make that perfectly lined up.

Bonus points, this new road system lines up perfectly with train level crossings making the road surface even right across.

This system could make for some nice rivers, lakes and beaches too.  I honestly hope they go hog wild with this system in all sorts of crazy uses and don't just restrict themselves to mere city streets.

If they were a plate taller they would line up perfectly train tracks. I do hope they do versions of these road plates with embedded rails, especially after they do the curve plates.

Whoops! Train level crossings would be one plate taller that the new road system if they are both on the same surface.  That is still way easier to work around (or build up in this case) than the road base plates.

On 10/11/2020 at 5:05 PM, Lord Insanity said:

As far as compatibility with modular buildings, well I don't think road base plates of any sort look good with those.   Unless of course you are completely rebuilding the building on to the road plates there by destroying the entire modular aspect and causing things to not line up to the next road intersection anyway.  So once you get to the point of realizing you need to do some built up roads anyway, I have been seriously considering rebuilding my buildings on regular plates just to line everything up better.  This new system would make that perfectly lined up.

You must not pay much attention to town builders, the road plates are great for Modulars. It’s a bug reason why people are buying the road plates up before they go away. There’s no need to rebuild the buildings to make them work with the baseplates either, there’s much easier ways. Some just tile the road plates & snug them up to the Modulars, some, like myself, take the light grey tiles & move them forward then connect the two with 2x2 tiles. Keeps them together well but also makes it easy to switch stuff around. 

The only reason one would do brick built roads is for more freedom. I would love to have right/left 90* turns instead of the curve plates, but I just make due using the T-Junction plates. 

I am well aware that many town builders use road plates with modulars.  Most use the "extra wide sidewalk" approach of tiling the road plate.  I also think that looks terrible.  Obviously many like that approach but I would only use them with rebuilding directly on the road plate so the curb lines up right to the road like it should.  But then you need to deal with the offset on the corner of the intersection with custom width buildings.  It is easier to just custom build the roads and make the buildings however wide you want them.  (I am assuming heavy MODing and MOCing going on if one is building a town anyway.)  I hope they keep the road plates for sale for those that want them but I am definitely looking forward to the new system with no "dead space" to worry about.  I think in the long run it will prove to be far more versatile.

16 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

I am well aware that many town builders use road plates with modulars.  Most use the "extra wide sidewalk" approach of tiling the road plate.  I also think that looks terrible.  Obviously many like that approach but I would only use them with rebuilding directly on the road plate so the curb lines up right to the road like it should.  But then you need to deal with the offset on the corner of the intersection with custom width buildings.  It is easier to just custom build the roads and make the buildings however wide you want them.  (I am assuming heavy MODing and MOCing going on if one is building a town anyway.)  I hope they keep the road plates for sale for those that want them but I am definitely looking forward to the new system with no "dead space" to worry about.  I think in the long run it will prove to be far more versatile.

Haha yeah, very early on...like when there was only 4 Modulars, I did that. Moved the Modulars up on their baseplates to make the sidewalks cover the studded area of the road plates. That way did not last long. It was a pain. I didn’t, and still don’t, MOC because I’m a set sorter as opposed to a parts sorter, so that kinda limits my parts selection as I’d rather buy sets. I only buy parts to make little additions to my town. As I said above, I just extended the sidewalks a bit. I left the end two rows of studs for a bike lane, so my sidewalks don’t look too wide. 

I don’t hate this new system as much as when it was first announced after seeing the catalog, but I still think it’s an awful idea if they stop selling the road plates. 

I'm not liking this new road system. Why change something that isn't broke?

Personally, I have been stocking up on road plates. I recently purchased 40 of the Straight / T-Intersection combo's and plan to purchase about 25 more. God know what the secondary market price will be on these.

1 hour ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

I mean, we're talking about a system that we haven't really seen innovated on or implemented in new or creative ways since 2005. And even THAT was pretty much a low point for its creative potential. Plus, it's been eight years since nearly all themes stopped using baseplates in general, switching instead to standard-thickness plates that offer fundamentally greater versatility and creative building potential. If anything, it kind of surprises me that a similar evolution for LEGO's road system didn't come SOONER.

And anyhow, is a road system that's only suited to building flat grids of two-lane streets with predefined road markings and lane widths — no bridges, inclines, additional lanes, curbside parking, medians, subway tunnels, sewers, traffic circles, oblique-angle curves, bike lanes, speed bumps, etc — really "not broke"? 'Cuz, comparatively, the new road system seems like it would be great for building most of that stuff, even without any new molds beyond the ones we've seen. Curves are the only thing from that list that's noticeably missing from the new system, and it would presumably only take one additional new mold to correct that.

None of this is to say that there won't be anything to dislike about the new road system — I'm going to need better pics and potentially hands-on experience before I can more thoroughly appraise where it might fall short of its ideal potential, and I'm sure everybody's bound to have their own "pet peeves" in the long run, just as with road baseplates. But regardless, it's not really hard to think of reasons that LEGO might be interested in moving on from a system that hasn't really shown any new potential in over a decade.

Something tells me he doesn't need to do much like bridges, multi-lane roads and speed bumps and is content with baseplates. Remember there are some people that are okay with the simpleness of baseplates and feel that they don't need to do much with roads. I on the other hand like both and will find ways to mix and match the two.

6 hours ago, Aanchir said:

And anyhow, is a road system that's only suited to building flat grids of two-lane streets with predefined road markings and lane widths — no bridges, inclines, additional lanes, curbside parking, medians, subway tunnels, sewers, traffic circles, oblique-angle curves, bike lanes, speed bumps, etc — really "not broke"? 'Cuz, comparatively, the new road system seems like it would be great for building most of that stuff, even without any new molds beyond the ones we've seen. Curves are the only thing from that list that's noticeably missing from the new system, and it would presumably only take one additional new mold to correct that.

Plenty of people do most of that stuff. Bridges, inclines, additional lanes, curbside parking, subway tunnels(and elevated train tracks), & bike lanes. The only real limitation is road size/shape. And that’s if you don’t count cutting baseplates(:sick:). I’ve seen people get very creative & make due with the roadplates. 

10 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

Personally, I have been stocking up on road plates. I recently purchased 40 of the Straight / T-Intersection combo's and plan to purchase about 25 more. God know what the secondary market price will be on these.

If the new road system is adopted by people that used to use the baseplate roads then the market may get flooded if they sell off the old style in favour of the new.

14 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I mean, we're talking about a system that we haven't really seen innovated on or implemented in new or creative ways since 2005. And even THAT was pretty much a low point for its creative potential. Plus, it's been eight years since nearly all themes stopped using baseplates in general, switching instead to standard-thickness plates that offer fundamentally greater versatility and creative building potential. If anything, it kind of surprises me that a similar evolution for LEGO's road system didn't come SOONER.

None of this is to say that there won't be anything to dislike about the new road system — I'm going to need better pics and potentially hands-on experience before I can more thoroughly appraise where it might fall short of its ideal potential, and I'm sure everybody's bound to have their own "pet peeves" in the long run, just as with road baseplates. But regardless, it's not really hard to think of reasons that LEGO might be interested in moving on from a system that hasn't really shown any new potential in over a decade.

Maybe I'm in the minority that likes the fact that everything is based on a 32 x 32 stud standard? There is nothing stopping a builder from doing all of that you listed with the road plates we have now. You can have them float over studs and secure them in with plates. I'm doing it right now with MILS plates. My city setup uses 114 of the Straight road plates, and I should have 11 in reserve once my order arrives. I'm going to order another 25 or so and I'll be set for a while. 

I remember reading somewhere that the road plates are produced from an outside vendor for LEGO. That may be why they are moving away from using them.

11 hours ago, Inspecter said:

Something tells me he doesn't need to do much like bridges, multi-lane roads and speed bumps and is content with baseplates. Remember there are some people that are okay with the simpleness of baseplates and feel that they don't need to do much with roads. I on the other hand like both and will find ways to mix and match the two.

You can use the plates for all of them.

8 hours ago, MAB said:

If the new road system is adopted by people that used to use the baseplate roads then the market may get flooded if they sell off the old style in favour of the new.

I disagree. Scarcity creates demand. Demand increases price. Outside of that, I don't like to purchase used LEGO and retired LEGO almost doubles overnight.

Well if you can use plates for all of that I want to at least see some examples of the multi-lane roads without cutting them up or tiling up the studded parts, speed bumps without awkward plate and tile placement or stickers, and of course Tram tracks on roadplates without the use of tiles or cutting up said road plates. I like roadplates too but I also like the new method coming out, so like I said earlier I'm thinking of ways of combining the two. Besides I wouldn't replace roadplates in sets that had them, they wouldn't look right.

Edited by Inspecter

I disagree. Scarcity creates demand. Demand increases price. Outside of that, I don't like to purchase used LEGO and retired LEGO almost doubles overnight.

I agree that scarcity creates demand - but the question is will they be scarce. If everyone holds on to theirs then yes. But if many people decide to dump the old because the new is better then they will not be scarce.

Go on Instagram, there are tons of pictures there for your examples.

All I saw where just photos of normal Road plates, some in packaging, others with tiled sidewalks. Didn't see any with embedded Tram Tracks but I did see someone's 3D render of what they would look like, didn't see any multi-laned roads that didn't require cutting them up or tiling up the sidewalks. Not that I doubt you but I really didn't see any of the things I asked. I really want to see what they look like if they do exist. Even did some searching on google didn't find what I asked for either. Just normal road plates, MILs system stuff, bootleg roadplates, Lego road parterns printed on paper, roadplates with tiles on the studded parts, plain baseplates with tiles for the roads. and that's pretty much it. I did see a bridge using roadplates though so there's that.

Edited by Inspecter

5 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

Maybe I'm in the minority that likes the fact that everything is based on a 32 x 32 stud standard? There is nothing stopping a builder from doing all of that you listed with the road plates we have now. You can have them float over studs and secure them in with plates. I'm doing it right now with MILS plates. My city setup uses 114 of the Straight road plates, and I should have 11 in reserve once my order arrives. I'm going to order another 25 or so and I'll be set for a while. 

I'm super confused by this reply. Yes, MILS would allow you to fix a lot of the problems I mentioned. That's because MILS was created by AFOLs to compensate for the implicit limitations of traditional road layouts. The new road system does essentially the same thing, but without being so heavily parts-intensive or geared towards highly advanced builders.

And if you've already been "floating" your road baseplates over studs like this so you can line them up with MILS bases, then you should be able to do the same thing just as easily (if not moreso) with the new road elements. After all, that's what I'd already been suggesting to people who were worried about the new road system being incompatible with existing road baseplates or modular buildings.

I'm just… not seeing the issue. The new road system is compatible with older baseplates in all the same ways that MILS is, but it's a lot more cost-effective and kid-friendly since the default road height is just two plates tall rather than six.

Edited by Aanchir

On 10/16/2020 at 10:26 AM, Inspecter said:

All I saw where just photos of normal Road plates, some in packaging, others with tiled sidewalks. Didn't see any with embedded Tram Tracks but I did see someone's 3D render of what they would look like, didn't see any multi-laned roads that didn't require cutting them up or tiling up the sidewalks. Not that I doubt you but I really didn't see any of the things I asked. I really want to see what they look like if they do exist. Even did some searching on google didn't find what I asked for either. Just normal road plates, MILs system stuff, bootleg roadplates, Lego road parterns printed on paper, roadplates with tiles on the studded parts, plain baseplates with tiles for the roads. and that's pretty much it. I did see a bridge using roadplates though so there's that.

I’m not quite sure why tiling studded areas seems to be a negative to you? Adding train tracks to road plates isn’t difficult. A friend lined up two rows of road plates & using the studded area as a train track with a cable car on it. So he had multi lane & tracks on road plates. 

Edited by Vindicare

It's not negative, I just want proof of multi-lane roads without tiling or cutting. Also Tracks on the side I know about, I mean in the road itself. Also if I sounded negative to you earlier I apologize. I just feel that the new system is getting a little too much hate and people seem to be going overboard about it.

Edited by Inspecter

6 hours ago, Inspecter said:

It's not negative, I just want proof of multi-lane roads without tiling or cutting. Also Tracks on the side I know about, I mean in the road itself. Also if I sounded negative to you earlier I apologize. I just feel that the new system is getting a little too much hate and people seem to be going overboard about it.

Some people don't like change. Some people still haven't forgiven LEGO over changes in the grey colours.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:23 PM, Inspecter said:

For me, the biggest issue is the plates, making them incompatible with the road plates. I’ve already invested so much into road plates & have a hard enough time keeping up with sets I want. I’d rather not have to waste money on pieces to make the roads work, whichever way I were to go. 

On 10/15/2020 at 2:36 AM, Lord Insanity said:

I rebuild my corner modulars to fill up the full 32 plate so that the pavements can go on the road plates. Palace Cinema is much improved by this, it's a much more substantial building.