Veynom

[MOC] Intersystem eXtended Transport Ship (I-XTS)

Today, I am proud to present you my I-XTS (Intersystem eXtended Transport Ship). 

When I discovered the release of the 75293 Resistance I-TS Transport set, I immediately imagined to make a bigger version. When SHIPtember started (one month to build a ship of at least 100 studs) then I decided to actually build it. So the base concept was easy: increase the length of the standard I-TS set up to at least 100 studs knowing that the original is only 43 studs long. Because of the extended length, the ship name was easy to find. :pir-tongue:

The base design concept
In the SW universe, it is common to find extended versions or variants of a base design. Look at Star Destroyers, Calamarian cigars, Corellian corvettes, YT variants, all these nice ships we see in Dark Empire....

But ok, just increasing the length is easy. Still ensuring that the resulting design is attractive is another topic Instead of having a single cargo bay, I decided to go with 2 bays with a small central module to create texturing and shape variation. Globally, it works: With a widened and detailed cockpit, 2 large cargo bays, and an larger engine section, the ship is coherent. Please note as well as the ship backbone is 2 studs wider than the stock model.

Technically, there was nothing too challenging in building the backbone based on the I-TS instructions. Just add technic bricks until you reach the desired length, and abuse of technic pins to make everything fitting together. In the end, it is robust.

The result
50403885126_3ed0ef87f2_c.jpg
I-XTS profiles by Veynom, on Flickr

50403884986_b1171d4e60_c.jpg
I-XTS details by Veynom, on Flickr

50403885081_b3f4684d2e_c.jpg
I-XTS inside by Veynom, on Flickr
Anio pointait le manque d'espace dans la soute cargo .... moi, je peux facilement y loger un Bantha.
Some reviewers complained about the tight cargo area ... well, I can put a Bantha in each of my cargo bay.

Fine, taking decent picture of this long ship is more difficult than actually building it. :pir-skel:

If you're interested in the constructions steps, please see below. It took me around 30 hours spread over 10 days.

Day 1:
After the first hours, the backbone is ready. It measures already 96 studs and has the correct shape. The location of both cargo bay is already defined. The extra width (2 studs) is very noticeable.
50338252047_b357cd1100_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 - day 1 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 2:
The top of the ship is becoming wider to match the original shape. The side supporting structures are in place and the central section start showing how it will look like: a kind of mirrored of the front section (just behind the cockpit). Clones have been supplied as re-enfircement to speed up the construction process.
50343697923_b9bbb9d847_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 - day 2 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 3
Time to play with the engines (port side). Size seems fine from the first try ... and the ship officially goes over the 100 studs threshold. Building the engines and the supporting pod was quite easy based on the original instructions. It was even fun.
50348056166_9d152646a9_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 - day 3 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 4
After the engine, the bow. The cockpit is twice wider than the original I-TS and is the larger section of the ship. Initially, I wanted to put 2 minifigs inside but I failed due to some structure constraints as you will see below. From this day, the length is around 110 studs.
50351621736_52a8dd2212_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 - day 4 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 5
I wanted to detail the cockpit further and that consumed a lot of time. Finally, after too many build-unbuild-rebuild phases, here is the result. Detailed inside, slick outside. In the end, I liked how the modified plate with rail perfectly fits on top of the panel 1x2x1. Sadly, I had to drop my initial idea of putting 2 minifigs in the cockpit. :cry2:
50363258861_f9a122e5fa_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 - day 5 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 6
Now that both the bow and engine designs are complete,d it is time to work on the main body. The core section is taking shape and the same pattern as the original I-TS is mirrored to provide the final design of the transport ship. The large cargy bay doors and panels are being worked on. As of right now, 8 technic bricks are missing but these are on their way to my home.
50363261666_3136b9af18_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2002 - day 6 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 7
Almost there. The bow is considered as completed and the design should not change anymore. I also reached a satisfying balance between greebling, texturing, and colors. Again, it required a few build-unbuild-rebuild phases (same player, try again) but ultimately, it is good looking. But it is about time as we are on the 24 of September with only 6 days to go before the deadline.

And the cargo is large enough to hold a Bantha! Achievement! :grin_wub:
50377672503_3b79f84df6_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 - day 7 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 8
This is copy/paste day. If it works in one location, then I copy it everywhere. As I received the technic bricks, I could complete the cargo bays. Then the 2nd engine pod. 5 days before the deadline and still the rear section is not over, without mentioning the core section.
50381316748_8dabe10367_c.jpg
SHIPtember 2020 - day 8 by Veynom, on Flickr

Day 10
Job done!
50400364908_a89b41c629_c.jpg
Intersystem eXtended Transport Ship by Veynom, on Flickr

A simple yet elegant transport ship, if you ask me.

And now the question, could you spot where this part is used ? Minifig, cape plastic

Looks like the cape is used on the cone docking ring thingy at the middle of the ship.

This is a really cool idea! While it's a bit bulkier than a blockade runner, it has a lot of the same aesthetic qualities. It almost feels like a mix of a classic Corellian corvette and the New Republic prison ship from the Mandalorian.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:08 AM, JintaiZ said:

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, glad you like it!

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That thing is a beast! Makes me want to pick up a few copies of the set and build it myself!

Where's that plastic cape used, I can't find it!

Feel very free. I've seen also a color variant where the blue was replaced by dark red, nice as well. For the cape, see below. ;)

9 hours ago, Moppo said:

Looks like the cape is used on the cone docking ring thingy at the middle of the ship.

Well done, the Emperor will be satisfied by your level of expertise. :vader:

4 hours ago, blueshift12 said:

This is a really cool idea! While it's a bit bulkier than a blockade runner, it has a lot of the same aesthetic qualities. It almost feels like a mix of a classic Corellian corvette and the New Republic prison ship from the Mandalorian.

Thank you. I must watch again EP6 of the Mandalorian as I don't remember that design anymore. But yes, it has qualities and a definitive SW feeling.