Lind Whisperer

H20: 1: The Mystery of the Maze

Recommended Posts

50403904467_8953eb993c_w.jpg

All is ice.

You lived among a small hamlet of hunter-gatherers, until all the animals went insane. Kicking, screaming, biting, they are unhuntable-and the woods that you would pillage for sustenance are now barred off by these creatures.

A vote was taken; You and your companions were your starving tribe’s only hope! Traveling the tundra, loosing countless stragglers along the way, you have journeyed to find any way to halt the madness and save your tribe!

Now, you have reached the foot of the Unholy Mountains. In the distance, you can see a strange display of lights.

What do you do?

50403906017_26a537faf6.jpg


The Party:

golden_orc_square.jpg

Angor "The Arboretum" (@samurai-turtle)
"20 Years" Old Male Orc Barbarian
Theme
Level 1
Power:
4
Health: 8/8
Gold: 10
Equipment: Crystalline Hammer (WP:3),
Inventory: Potion, Mead
49267649646_d026d4f5c6_t.jpg
Yelana Fennix (@Classic_Spaceman)
Human Female Ranger 
Theme
Level 1 

Power: 4
Health: 6/6 
Gold: 10 
Equipment: Plasma Sniper-Rifle (Hand Cannon) (WP 3) 
Inventory: Potion (1x), Smoke Bomb (1x)

Mag.png
Magnhildr (@Peppermint_M)
Theme
Etherian Barbarian of unknown gender and age
Level 1
Power: 4

Health: 8/8
Gold: 10
Equipment: Sapphire Naginata (Polearm/Halberd) (WP:3),
Inventory: Potion, Mead

50399432242_814f2003bd_o.jpg
Old Bones ('Sam') (@Lord Duvors)
Theme
??? years old male Undead Cyborg Rouge
Level 1
Power:(1+3)
Health: 7/7
Gold: 60
Equipped: Black Sword (WP: 3, longsword).
Inventory: Potion, Venom.

50408737288_171777c215_o.jpg
Okooid (@darkdragon)
Bioborg Mage of unknown gender and age
Level 1
Power: 4
Health: 6/6
Ether: 6/6
Gold: 60
Equipment: Staff

Inventory:  Topaz, Potion


QM Note:
Please vote for a party leader!

Thank you one and all for joining me! Your figs are all lovely! Hopefully this will be an adventure worth your time!\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnhildr held tight to the naginata, this mountain range was one to be avoided, even the shadow it cast could cause discomfort. 

"What say you. We have reached this place together, but a lead would be necessary for the battles to come." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

////Information Redacted: Blackstar Operational Clearance Required 

 

"Ugh! Yannika wasn't lying about the terrain! <Confirm coordinates, please>" 
"<COORDINATES CONFIRMED>" 
"<Thanks>" 

Yelana crouched down and surveyed the valley below her. 

"<Run biosign scan>" 
"<FOUR BIOSIGNS DETECTED>" 

Sliding down the shallow slope, Yelana approached the group. 

"Um. . . Greetings, fellow travellers! Is this the group who travels in search of answers? And you, the one with the sapphire blade, are you Magnhildr, by any chance? I was told that you may have the answers that I - we - seek." 

On 10/2/2020 at 6:47 AM, Peppermint_M said:

Magnhildr held tight to the naginata, this mountain range was one to be avoided, even the shadow it cast could cause discomfort. 


 

OOC Notes: 
How does this look? 
Since this quest is starting with the journey already underway (rather than having the party meet first), I included the long intro passage, as I wanted to give Yelana some background and characterisation. Also, I intentionally wrote Yelana's greeting as stilted and overly-archaic, in order to convey her awkwardness in the situation (she will start speaking normally, once she becomes more settled). 
 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman
Reference to Heroica removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnhildr regarded the human, she was not a face that was familiar, but there were many people who they had not met. "This is not a place I visit often. A wrongness comes from it I can feel in my andweorc, a pricking at my being deeper than any force should go." They paused a moment and looked up the rising earth. "I only come now to fight back what ails the world. I do enjoy traveling it." The group held some faces they had encountered in the past. The skeletal figure was certainly one they had met even when it still carried flesh. 

Spoiler

OOC: with Etherians being unknown in source and make-up, I chose a Middle-English word for material. For Mags at least, their body is just a humanoid form and very little is needed to sustain it when they are healthy. Of course, battle damage etc will need healing the regular way. So a feeling in their material is what we would call a gut feeling etc.

Also, I would say Old Bones would know Magnhildr, probably one to use She/Her pronouns or Mags as a name. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A silent, slow turn of the head as the others approach. Pausing on each party member as if memorizing everything about them.

"Greetings fellows. It appears we have a perilous journey ahead. I am unfamiliar with this region, are any of you able to be our guide?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking the landscape over. 

We sure this is the right way? 

I know I volunteered for this  but, I get a bad feeling about this. Maybe it is because I am new to the area, but I figured it would be better to have a way out of here if I ever want to leave the area. Being stuck was never much of my thing, probably why I started to wander around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lind Whisperer

12 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Magnhildr held tight to the naginata, this mountain range was one to be avoided, even the shadow it cast could cause discomfort. 

"What say you. We have reached this place together, but a lead would be necessary for the battles to come." 

Old Bones ('Sam' to his friends) held up one hand to his hat, as if shading his eyes to get a better look at the flashing lights despite not having any. "Well Mags," he said, "we can't tell who's the oldest one here, so we can't base it off that." he laughed a little to himself as he spoke. "Seriously though, I think it's a tossup between you and me. You're the most experienced survivalist here, and I know a bit about our des-"

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Sliding down the shallow slope, Yelana approached the group. 

"Um. . . Greetings, fellow travellers! Is this the group who travels in search of answers? And you, the one with the sapphire blade, are you Magnhildr, by any chance? I was told that you may have the answers that I - we - seek." 

As he was interrupted by the sudden appearance of the stranger, Bones stopped talking and dropped his left hand to his belt, using it to slide his sword a little way out while his right hand hovered over the hilt.
"That depends stranger," he said "what answers do you seek?" As he spoke he turned his head slightly towards Magnhildr, a gesture 'she' knew was his equivalent of an aside glance and a raised eyebrow, as if to say 'Do we trust this weirdo'? His own first instinct was to trust them, but his second instinct was, as always, be careful.

2 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

"Greetings fellows. It appears we have a perilous journey ahead. I am unfamiliar with this region, are any of you able to be our guide?"

Bones shifted his head toward the mage, keeping one... socket? on the strange woman he'd just been speaking to. "Unfortunately no. The Mountains we have to pass through are quite literally a maze, and no-one has ever managed to reach the other end. Something happened here long ago that twisted the landscape into impossible shapes and even I'm uncertain what lives in that place."

21 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Looking the landscape over. 

We sure this is the right way? 

I know I volunteered for this  but, I get a bad feeling about this. Maybe it is because I am new to the area, but I figured it would be better to have a way out of here if I ever want to leave the area. Being stuck was never much of my thing, probably why I started to wander around. 

A sigh escaped the old skeleton's teeth. "If I were making this journey in more forgiving circumstances I might try to make my way around the mountains. Unfortunately that journey would take months, time we do not have if my tribe is to be saved from starvation. The truth is it will be faster to find a path through this way, dangerous as it is."

 

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OOC Notes: 
How does this look? 
Since this quest is starting with the journey already underway (rather than having the party meet first), I included the long intro passage, as I wanted to give Yelana some background and characterisation. Also, I intentionally wrote Yelana's greeting as stilted and overly-archaic, in order to convey her awkwardness in the situation (she will start speaking normally, once she becomes more settled). 

Spoiler

I'd say it's mostly fine. But you should take a look at my comments in the other thread.

 

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

OOC: with Etherians being unknown in source and make-up, I chose a Middle-English word for material. For Mags at least, their body is just a humanoid form and very little is needed to sustain it when they are healthy. Of course, battle damage etc will need healing the regular way. So a feeling in their material is what we would call a gut feeling etc.

Also, I would say Old Bones would know Magnhildr, probably one to use She/Her pronouns or Mags as a name. 

 

Spoiler

Very good. To be honest that is more-or-less how I envisioned their relationship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

. . Greetings, fellow travellers! Is this the group who travels in search of answers? And you, the one with the sapphire blade, are you Magnhildr, by any chance? I was told that you may have the answers that I - we - seek

Have we met before? Letting out a slight growl. 

14 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

What say you. We have reached this place together, but a lead would be necessary for the battles to come." 

 

5 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

Greetings fellows. It appears we have a perilous journey ahead. I am unfamiliar with this region, are any of you able to be our guide

It sounds like the Skeleton is the only one who's been here before...

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

A sigh escaped the old skeleton's teeth. "If I were making this journey in more forgiving circumstances I might try to make my way around the mountains. Unfortunately that journey would take months, time we do not have if my tribe is to be saved from starvation. The truth is it will be faster to find a path through this way, dangerous as it is.

So have you been here before? Mister Skeleton, wait what am I supposed to call you again? I am know as Angor or I am also called "The Arboretum". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

OOC Notes: 

How does this look? 
Since this quest is starting with the journey already underway (rather than having the party meet first), I included the long intro passage, as I wanted to give Yelana some background and characterisation. Also, I intentionally wrote Yelana's greeting as stilted and overly-archaic, in order to convey her awkwardness in the situation (she will start speaking normally, once she becomes more settled).

OoC: Good! But feel free to be spontaneous. Your backstory is just that - don't let it limit you! And OoC is gray. :wink:

As she stands there in the snow, trying to join the crew, Yelana's sensors ping - a small bird is flying above, on a wild course.

5 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Looking the landscape over. 

We sure this is the right way? 

I know I volunteered for this  but, I get a bad feeling about this. Maybe it is because I am new to the area, but I figured it would be better to have a way out of here if I ever want to leave the area. Being stuck was never much of my thing, probably why I started to wander around. 

The snow almost blinds you, endless and vast.

The Unholy Mountains are before you, behind you home, and to your left and right, rolling tundra spreads itself before collapsing into foothills and gullys. You might find something if you search around - but the most adventure is probably ahead.

5 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

@Lind Whisperer

Old Bones ('Sam' to his friends) held up one hand to his hat, as if shading his eyes to get a better look at the flashing lights despite not having any. "Well Mags," he said, "we can't tell who's the oldest one here, so we can't base it off that." he laughed a little to himself as he spoke. "Seriously though, I think it's a tossup between you and me. You're the most experienced survivalist here, and I know a bit about our des-"

50410724642_a81a24c815_w.jpg
On closer examination the lights appear magical - like fireballs and explosions. You see snow covered with dark shapes, and two figures jumping around frantically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sam, I do not like that sight." Magnhildr lifted her weapon. "You know more of this place than I, a leader who knows where they are going is best."

They looked to the rebuilt mage. "Can you feel it, in your magic? This place is getting into my fabric..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

On closer examination the lights appear magical - like fireballs and explosions. You see snow covered with dark shapes, and two figures jumping around frantically.

Having trouble seeing because of the snow storm.

It looks like someone(s) are fighting over their, should we get a closer look? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

As he was interrupted by the sudden appearance of the stranger, Bones stopped talking and dropped his left hand to his belt, using it to slide his sword a little way out while his right hand hovered over the hilt.
"That depends stranger," he said "what answers do you seek?" As he spoke he turned his head slightly towards Magnhildr, a gesture 'she' knew was his equivalent of an aside glance and a raised eyebrow, as if to say 'Do we trust this weirdo'? His own first instinct was to trust them, but his second instinct was, as always, be careful.

Woah! Hey! Easy! I’m just trying to figure out what the hell’s going on. . . You know, animals going crazy, people starving, all that. I was told you were the people to talk to about that. Oh, and sorry if I sounded kinda weird a second ago - I’m not from around here, so I didn’t know how you normally talk.” 
 

18 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Have we met before? Letting out a slight growl. 

“Not likely, but I do get that a lot. Do I remind you of someone?” 

 

15 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

As she stands there in the snow, trying to join the crew, Yelana's sensors ping - a small bird is flying above, on a wild course.

“Hold on! I’m picking up another biosign, approaching quickly. . . Oh, just a bird. OK - Wait. . . My sister gave me a new translator before I left - I may be able to talk to that bird and get directions. It probably knows its way through this. . . maze, provided it isn’t one of the animals that turned feral.” 

Tapping the side of her visor, Yelana spoke in a language unintelligible to the rest of the party. 

“<Engage translation matrix>” 
“<TRANSLATION MATRIX ONLINE>” 
“Excuse me, uh, bird. . . Do you have time to talk? My companions and I wanted to know if you were familiar enough with this area to give us directions. We’re. . . kind of. . . lost. Also, what’s you name? I feel weird just calling you ‘bird’ - Unless that’s actually your name, of course.” 


 

 

15 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

OoC: Good! But feel free to be spontaneous. Your backstory is just that - don't let it limit you! And OoC is gray. :wink:

OOC: 
I plan to - I just wanted to establish a general framework for Yelana, in order to avoid some of the confusion that occurred in Misision 0. Also, on that note, the reason that I specified that Yelana is speaking in another language when she talks to her visor, is that I had tried writing in that language during Mission 0, but it ended up being confusing and difficult to manage. 😕
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

It sounds like the Skeleton is the only one who's been here before...

So have you been here before? Mister Skeleton, wait what am I supposed to call you again? I am know as Angor or I am also called "The Arboretum". 

"No, I've never been here before. Just being this close to those mountains make my skin crawl." He paused for a moment before continuing "If I still had any that is. And the name's Bones, Old Bones. But you can call me Sam."

16 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

50410724642_a81a24c815_w.jpg
On closer examination the lights appear magical - like fireballs and explosions. You see snow covered with dark shapes, and two figures jumping around frantically.

Although there was no way of telling, everyone somehow knew Sam was grimacing. "Wizards," he said, "trying to kill each other. And right in our path too."

12 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"Sam, I do not like that sight." Magnhildr lifted her weapon. "You know more of this place than I, a leader who knows where they are going is best."

"Well, to be honest everything I know about Cold Night was told to me by traders who came around the mountains." He shrugged. "I only know it's a straight shot through because one of them showed me a map once. But it's seems a big town, so there's got to be someone educated enough to cure this... malaise there." He looked at Mags and 'she' knew he'd be smiling right now if he could. "Still, thank you for the vote of confidence." he said.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Woah! Hey! Easy! I’m just trying to figure out what the hell’s going on. . . You know, animals going crazy, people starving, all that. I was told you were the people to talk to about that. Oh, and sorry if I sounded kinda weird a second ago - I’m not from around here, so I didn’t know how you normally talk.” 

"Well sounds like you normally talk like us, so I'd say we're not from that far away." he moved his hand away from the hilt, letting it hang at his side. "If you came to us seeking answers I'm afraid you won't find them here. We're just as mystified as you are." he shrugged. "Still," he said, "we're off to find someone who might know a cure. If you wish you can follow along, just don't stab us in the back and we'll do fine."

@Darkdragon @Lind Whisperer

Having said that he gestured in the direction of the wizard spat.

"Well if that's settled, I suggest we take a closer look at that like Angor said."

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

“Hold on! I’m picking up another biosign, approaching quickly. . . Oh, just a bird. OK - Wait. . . My sister gave me a new translator before I left - I may be able to talk to that bird and get directions. It probably knows its way through this. . . maze, provided it isn’t one of the animals that turned feral.” 

Tapping the side of her visor, Yelana spoke in a language unintelligible to the rest of the party. 

Sam cocked his head to one side, something Mags would know was his equivalent of a raised eyebrow. He'd seen people who could talk to birds before, but he'd never seen someone who needed a translator. Strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You have lead your people a long time, Old Bones." Magnhildr smirked. "I wander the ice." They chuckled and then watched  the bird, hopefully this was not one maddened by the malady they sought to rid the world of.  It would be a ill omen to need to fight so soon in their quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

"You have lead your people a long time, Old Bones." Magnhildr smirked. "I wander the ice." They chuckled and then watched  the bird, hopefully this was not one maddened by the malady they sought to rid the world of.  It would be a ill omen to need to fight so soon in their quest.

Sam looked down at his feet, suddenly seeming a little abashed. He'd never really thought of himself as a leader, but more a sort of 'universal grandfather'. Still, that was probably more-or-less the same thing.
"Oh very well." he said. "But Mags," he looked them in the eyes, "if anything does happen me, promise me you'll see my tribe is saved. Out of all the people here, I trust you the most to see it through."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Not likely, but I do get that a lot. Do I remind you of someone?" 

Just some "brat" from back home. The family own the mercantile (well most of the family might be considered bratty). She even married some human from a different religion. 

5 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"No, I've never been here before. Just being this close to those mountains make my skin crawl." He paused for a moment before continuing "If I still had any that is. And the name's Bones, Old Bones. But you can call me Sam."

Although there was no way of telling, everyone somehow knew Sam was grimacing. "Wizards," he said, "trying to kill each other. And right in our path too."

"Well, to be honest everything I know about Cold Night was told to me by traders who came around the mountains." He shrugged. "I only know it's a straight shot through because one of them showed me a map once. But it's seems a big town, so there's got to be someone educated enough to cure this... malaise there." He looked at Mags and 'she' knew he'd be smiling right now if he could. "Still, thank you for the vote of confidence." he said.

"Well sounds like you normally talk like us, so I'd say we're not from that far away." he moved his hand away from the hilt, letting it hang at his side. "If you came to us seeking answers I'm afraid you won't find them here. We're just as mystified as you are." he shrugged. "Still," he said, "we're off to find someone who might know a cure. If you wish you can follow along, just don't stab us in the back and we'll do fine."

@Darkdragon @Lind Whisperer

Having said that he gestured in the direction of the wizard spat.

"Well if that's settled, I suggest we take a closer look at that like Angor said."

Sam cocked his head to one side, something Mags would know was his equivalent of a raised eyebrow. He'd seen people who could talk to birds before, but he'd never seen someone who needed a translator. Strange.

Alright Mister Sam... 

If we get lucky they will kill each other off, and that will be the end of that. 

She is slightly weird, she needs some sort of magic device to talk creatures. 

Angor then realized something. 

Hey lady, what are we supposed to call you again? 

5 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

"You have lead your people a long time, Old Bones." Magnhildr smirked. "I wander the ice." They chuckled and then watched  the bird, hopefully this was not one maddened by the malady they sought to rid the world of.  It would be a ill omen to need to fight so soon in their quest.

Well, it won't be a boring quest if we got into a fight so quickly. Letting out a slight chuckle at this point. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"if anything does happen me, promise me you'll see my tribe is saved. Out of all the people here, I trust you the most to see it through."

Magnhildr bowed their head, "I will fight until my undoing." A solemn vow. Magnhildr knew, magic like this would need to be stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

“Hold on! I’m picking up another biosign, approaching quickly. . . Oh, just a bird. OK - Wait. . . My sister gave me a new translator before I left - I may be able to talk to that bird and get directions. It probably knows its way through t9his. . . maze, provided it isn’t one of the animals that turned feral.” 

Tapping the side of her visor, Yelana spoke in a language unintelligible to the rest of the party. 

“<Engage translation matrix>” 
“<TRANSLATION MATRIX ONLINE>” 
“Excuse me, uh, bird. . . Do you have time to talk? My companions and I wanted to know if you were familiar enough with this area to give us directions. We’re. . . kind of. . . lost. Also, what’s you name? I feel weird just calling you ‘bird’ - Unless that’s actually your name, of course.”

The bird shrieks in a barely comprehensive patois.

DEATH DEATH WHO CAN TALK DEATH DEATH NO DIRECTIONS HERE DEATH ARE LOST DEATH DEATH

DEATH DEATH FIRE DEATH MEN WITH PITCHFORKS MEN WITH TORCHES DEATH DEATH PRIEST DEATHPRIEST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Duvors said:

(OOC: If no-one has anything they want to do here, shall we move on to the next location?)
@Lind Whisperer @samurai-turtle @Classic_Spaceman @Peppermint_M @Darkdragon

OOC: I need to wait for a response to a PM that I sent to @Lind Whisperer before I can post. I apologise for the delay. 😐
 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 11:54 PM, samurai-turtle said:

Just some "brat" from back home. The family own the mercantile (well most of the family might be considered bratty). She even married some human from a different religion. 

"Wow, rude. OK, I'm going to chalk that up to cultural differences and move on. But a word of advice about Humans: We don't exactly like being called 'bratty' and compared to a family outcast - Particularly by someone who doesn't even know us. Anyway. . ." 
 

On 10/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, Lord Duvors said:

"Well sounds like you normally talk like us, so I'd say we're not from that far away." he moved his hand away from the hilt, letting it hang at his side. "If you came to us seeking answers I'm afraid you won't find them here. We're just as mystified as you are." he shrugged. "Still," he said, "we're off to find someone who might know a cure. If you wish you can follow along, just don't stab us in the back and we'll do fine."

"Thanks - And just so you know, I'm not really the 'stab-you-in-the-back' type, so you're safe." 


 

On 10/4/2020 at 4:48 AM, Lind Whisperer said:

The bird shrieks in a barely comprehensive patois.

DEATH DEATH WHO CAN TALK DEATH DEATH NO DIRECTIONS HERE DEATH ARE LOST DEATH DEATH

DEATH DEATH FIRE DEATH MEN WITH PITCHFORKS MEN WITH TORCHES DEATH DEATH PRIEST DEATHPRIEST

"Relax, I'm not going to hurt you! I have a feeling that whatever has you so scared is what we are trying to fight, so it's OK. My name's Yelana Fennix; I just wanted to ask you some questions about what's going on. What do you mean by 'men with torches and pitchforks'? Are you being hunted by someone? The 'deathpriest' you mentioned, perhaps? And who is that, anyway?" 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

DEATH DEATH GOOD MEN DEATH DEATH BAD MAN DEATH STRANGE MAN DEATH DEATH

“OK, I think I’m starting to get it - Are the ‘good men’ the ones with torches and pitchforks? Are you saying that they are trying to hunt you? That makes sense. . . And you seem to be saying that the ‘deathpriest’ is a bad and strange man - Answer this: Who or what is bringing death?” 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.