SNIPE

[WIP] Nero Blanc Subway Station

Hi,

Today I present my current work in progress, something I've wanted to do for a while now.

The idea comes from as a kid going to metro stations and all the stimuli that went with it.

However I also didnt want to just make a trampy station  because honestly, who wants that

So I also decided to make it black and white stone (of some sort) because I like that sort of decor as well.

It also meant I could, and wanted to make the tunnel itself seem deeper where the billboards are than it actually is, because as a kid this looked almost infinatley deep due to shadows

I wish to include two working escalators and maybe curved (I know thats a huge challenge but heh im best at techic building anyhow)

This is of course and underground station and will have more walking space added on to it later, he station is part of a shopping mall. Since the metros where I am are yellow and that has is own nosialgia, I used a dummy lego train just so I could calculate the LXY dimentions of the tunnel and align the wheels to the track too. I will make a more metro shaped train and maybe have a hidden mechanism inside the station itself which somehow connects to the train door mechanism thereby synchronising the opening and closing of the doors. I can use a sensor to only allow this mechanism to work if it detects a train, thus further hiding the mechanism,

The train itself would not be big enough inside to have seating and working dooors really.

1280x312.jpg

1280x706.jpg

1280x763.jpg

1280x681.jpg

Since I wanted to give the illusion of depdth I used duplo curved inverted bricks and duplo tiles and system 8x16 tiles to have as few part lines as possible.

I then also used black lego 2x2 stickers for the floor tiles because they have less part lines than tiles and also I might rotate them all by 45 degrees to have a diamond pattern and can just fold the stickers onto themselves to make triangles - where the diamond tiles would meet the platform edge. I tried using lego 2x2 corner tiles but theyre ugly, and tried using a mincraft head in black as a 1.5Lx1.5l tile but they didnt fit with the 2x2 tile with square and corner cutout.

Since a duplo stud is just 1 brick wide and a 1x2 duplo brick is 2Lx4L wide I could just clamp tiles over the duplo stud and use 2x4 brackets to tie the two tiles together.

I need to find more stickers in LDCAD to fill the billboards more :D

Anyhow, Regards, Snipe.

This kinda reminds me a bit of the train station at Geneva airport.  It’s not a lovely place, quite dark like your design.  
I’d be considering changing the walls behind your train to a much lighter colour, possibly light grey or even white.  The London Underground use ceramic tiles, often white, or off white to create a brighter environment without using too much lighting.  

The idea is fantastic, so I'm really looking forward to see how it turns out!!!

That looks interesting. I don't know if all of those Duplo parts exist in black, and if they do, they are probably more expensive than doing it in similar system parts (if you can even get enough of the Duplo). I would also agree with

4 hours ago, jus1973 said:

I’d be considering changing the walls behind your train to a much lighter colour,

The prototype of my last MOC building had black doors, but they just disappeared into the model, I had to redo them in white to make them visible.

12 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That looks interesting. I don't know if all of those Duplo parts exist in black, and if they do, they are probably more expensive than doing it in similar system parts (if you can even get enough of the Duplo). I would also agree with

The prototype of my last MOC building had black doors, but they just disappeared into the model, I had to redo them in white to make them visible.

Hi,

yeah the duplo parts and other system parts dont come in black and some other system parts dont come in white or black also so ill just keep this as a digital buildd because building it in real life would cost literally over £1,000 i bet, to buy the parts. I migh test the mechanical bits of the model IRL though,

EDIT: I might stick with Nero-Blanc or Nero Blanco or use a new name, I cant seem to find what a "black and white" interior design is called though.

Edited by SNIPE

Small update:

I have started working on the skylight  and curved escelator design IRL to test the mechanism, it works but needs away to prevent the treads from straying off the wheels due to *long physics explanation*.

For the tracks I tried gears but it skipped the teeth too much, I still need to make it so the tracks curve in the Y plane, not just the X plane like a real conveyor belt style escalator. (a stepped style AND curved would have been too hard at such small scale especially).

The reason it must curve in two planes is because if it didnt then I would have to build the whole thing on a diagonal plane which is too awkward and will look ugly.

If it was only curved on one plane then i would curve left or right but not up up or down :P
20201017-014959.jpg?fbclid=IwAR2fBCMU5TY
extended-done.png
extended-underside.png
Hiding the 'tabs' of this duplo glass part was tricky in the X, Y and Z coordinates due to the skylight pieces being such weird dimensions.

But I figured out that each skylight piece was just 6 stacked bricks wide by just over 14L long excluding the tabs, so there is a small gap on the top and bottom between the glass and the black frame. The height doesn't matter.but the tab thickness does, That should not be too hard though to clamp between something.

Edited by SNIPE

On 9/29/2020 at 10:51 PM, SNIPE said:

The train itself would not be big enough inside to have seating and working dooors really.

The Spiderman metro train from that one set might look the part on your tracks, and that at least has internal seating.

7 hours ago, rday1982 said:

The Spiderman metro train from that one set might look the part on your tracks, and that at least has internal seating.

I'll check it out thanks

The duplo slopes will be in black early next year:
Main.png?disable=upscale&width=960&quali

The set is called DUPLO Town Happy Childhood Moments, as for the duplo tiles I guess they are still not in black but it doesn't really matter for a purley dgital build but I could just use black lego tiles.

Edited by SNIPE