Capt Wolf

[OKT] Oktoberfest 2020 mini-challenge, Classic Pirates style! -WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

It's that time of year again: time for Oktoberfest!

The annual BoBS Oktoberfest celebration features food and drink, contests of skill, games and amusements, traditional/historical costumes, food and drink (did we mention food and drink?), and more.

But this year there’s a twist: It’s a Classic Pirate celebration as well!

okt_2020.jpg

Normally the big Oktoberfest celebration takes place in Weelond, but this year things move east to the Eslandolan hamlet of Punto Sur on Maldria in the New Haven Sea. So far there is only a trading post at the settlement, so there’s a lot of room for growth.

Rules:

Entries for this year’s Oktoberfest should showcase a property built in the Classic Pirate aesthetic, either in traditional 1989 form or updated for 2020 style and techniques.

Your entry should show an Oktoberfest activity in Punto Sur, with an emphasis on a growing colonial outpost. Show new residents taking part in the festivities while making a new life in the islands. Entries should represent licensable properties.

In addition to posting your entry in the forum (ideally with a [OKT] tag in the title), please post a link to your build in this thread and in the Punto Sur settlement thread. Entries must be posted by October 31.

Categories:

Categories are for six property types: Artisan, Commerce, Factory, Residence, Education, and Culture. Identify what category you're entering when you post your entry. Entries will be judged on presentation, quality of build, story, fit with Punto Sur's architectural style (Classic Pirate, both retro and modern), and fit with the Oktoberfest/festival theme. The only size requirement is a 16x16 minimum.

Prizes:

The top entry in each category will win a free small property license, to be activated by microbuild, usable only in the New Haven Sea. An overall winner will have his license upgraded to a large property, and the overall runner-up will have his license upgraded to a medium property.

Builders will also be reimbursed for licensing costs for any property licensed through the EGS, or Capt Wolf will purchase (at 3x the license cost) any property a builder does not wish to license.

Thank you for hosting this contest once more @Capt Wolf, I look forwards to it, and I'll try to get a build for it,

15 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Punto Sur's architectural style (Classic Pirate, both retro and modern),

so what is it.. Retro Classic or Modern (please define modern )

15 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

a property built in the Classic Pirate aesthetic

Nice, I love this vibe.

38 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

so what is it.. Retro Classic or Modern (please define modern )

Both.

A retro build will look like it belongs in a set from 1989.

A modern build will use advanced roof techniques rather than a red plate or red slopes, use brick-built walls rather than panels, show detail through building techniques rather than printing, show more complex structures rather than just a hinge plate for a crane.

Most modern builds will likely be more of a hybrid. The existing trading post in Punto Sur is a good example. It qualifies as modern with 1x1 round bricks for the roof, an irregular base, and a robust crane and dock, but it also uses the printed wall panels from the classic sets. And this is really where I expect most entries to land: with some modern techniques or styles, but some reliance on parts from the classic sets. Basically, I want to see what people can do with what's available to them today (both in parts and building styles), but inspired by the sets from our younger days.

Punto Sur Street Theatre. Hope this fits the category. 

Just realised this Is the first Oktoberfest build of the year. 

Edited by Count Vroskri

7 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Punto Sur Street Theatre. Hope this fits the category. 

Just realised this Is the first Oktoberfest build of the year. 

Yes, we're off an running! And it very much fits the category.

21 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

How many entries do I get? 

Hmmm, I forgot to address that, didn't I? Let's say 1 per category.

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

Hmmm, I forgot to address that, didn't I? Let's say 1 per category.

Wow, we get loads! More Oktoberfest fun! 

@Capt Wolf

I have an idea for Oktoberfest. I would like to build these and license them myself. I am a Sea Rats but Punto Sur belong to Eslandola. It can happen that by accident one or more Eslandola ship sinks, or something else happened.. Will my property be seize? Is there a guarantee it won't happen?

Property:

If you build legally on another faction’s territory the government of the other faction is also able to seize your property (except in the case of forts, in which case a military engagement will have to be fought).

57 minutes ago, NOD said:

@Capt Wolf

I have an idea for Oktoberfest. I would like to build these and license them myself. I am a Sea Rats but Punto Sur belong to Eslandola. It can happen that by accident one or more Eslandola ship sinks, or something else happened.. Will my property be seize? Is there a guarantee it won't happen?

Property:

If you build legally on another faction’s territory the government of the other faction is also able to seize your property (except in the case of forts, in which case a military engagement will have to be fought).

NOD, we won't seize the properties because of a ship here or there. Now, if the Sea Rats were to invade an ESL settlement or island, that would be another matter. :pir-oh:  But we've made it almost 5 years in BoBS without any properties being seized, so you should be ok.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Yes, we're off an running! And it very much fits the category.

Should I post a topic for it to be licenced or is it over to you? 

7 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Should I post a topic for it to be licenced or is it over to you? 

I'll take care of it. I don't need to re-post anything; I just need to fill out the property licensing form in the EGS. However, you should make sure to get credit for the build by filling out the Build Submittal Form in the BoBS Master Index (if you haven't already).

14 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

I'll take care of it. I don't need to re-post anything; I just need to fill out the property licensing form in the EGS. However, you should make sure to get credit for the build by filling out the Build Submittal Form in the BoBS Master Index (if you haven't already).

OK, I'll do that. It'll happen in a it but I should wait till @Ayrlegohelps me with a problem I've got. 

Edited by Count Vroskri

[OKT]  Bumper Boats

Artisan: Large Property, Punto Sur

Edited by NOD

EDIT: This is not yet licensed.

EDIT: This is not yet licensed. 

This one has been sold to @Capt Wolf

Large Educational build, The Punto Sur Academy of Science, with Dean Eddington in charge... I think he'll be ok. I have licensed this one with the proceeds from the above sale. 

Edited by CapOnBOBS

2 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Trying to figure out how to change the license from a small commercial to a small artisan

@Ayrlego, can you help out with this?

2 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

This is also licensed, a small cultural. Again... I think... unless Capt Wolf didn't cover the tab, in which case, I'm 2 weeks into this and broke. 

I'll get the payment sent out this week! :pir-huzzah2:

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:04 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Entries must be posted by October 31.

Just a reminder that there are only two-and-a-half days left to get your Oktoberfest entries in.

Note that there are still no entries for residences, and only 1 entry each in the commerce, factory, and education categories.

5 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Just a reminder that there are only two-and-a-half days left to get your Oktoberfest entries in.

Note that there are still no entries for residences, and only 1 entry each in the commerce, factory, and education categories.

OK. I am away from my bricks but I'll be back tomorrow. Meaning I can probably get another one in by then.