Sign in to follow this  
Corweena

[BTV1-OL] Watchful Eyes in Westface

Westface

29 Sept 620

With the invasion in full swing, Westface now stood as the lone Terraversan held settlement on the southeastern side of the island. The military had begun fortifying the city, preparing for the imminent attack that would one day come. Refugees and sympathizers streamed through the gates daily, eager to join one of the many militia groups forming to augment the army, or looking for protection from the invading forces. Among the refugees, two particularly gruff men were admitted through the city gate. While nothing of their appearance was of note, an onlooker with a keen eye and plenty of time on their hands, may have found their behavior to be quite interesting. They began methodically walking through the city streets, skillfully keeping to the shadows and alleys, avoiding the regular Terraversan army patrols. In normal times, this may have caught some eyes, but with the almost frantic atmosphere in the city, no one had any thoughts other than an army of bluecoats materializing on the horizon charging for an attack. As such, the two men continued unchallenged through the city streets, the first man making notes of any notable thing in a small ledger in shorthand, the other, hatchet in hand keeping a watchful eye for anyone who may make sense of their purpose in the city. 

50394525982_9ae0947df9_c.jpg

50396837987_78c05617d0_c.jpg

50396837912_967cc11c5c_c.jpg

Since I was on vacation last week, I decided to try my hand at doing a digital build. Its been many years since I've done so, and only used LDD at the time. Switching to Studio made a world of difference, but definitely takes some practice and time to learn all of the functions it offers. I'm still a bit slow at it, but the customization it offers for colors and the like made it perfect choice for this build.

Edited by Corweena

Oh no! Another oleonese Sea Rat! 

This is a truly awesome build, I love the snot cobbles and the lamppost. Very well thought out and nice. 

I don't think I've seen the headlight technique used before for cobblestone - like everyone else commented, it looks really good! That render is perfect as well! I've only ever used LDD, do you think it is worth switching over to Studio? Did you do the render in Studio?

2 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

That render is perfect as well! I've only ever used LDD, do you think it is worth switching over to Studio? Did you do the render in Studio?

I've tried both and I'd say Studio is much, much better. You can render in Studio and it looks much like this, leading me to believe he did render on studio. 

Edited by Count Vroskri

Wow, this turned out great. Awesome job on the road, and the build came together quite well.

Nice ground technique and minifig choice.

Having tried both, I would say Stud.io is way more promising if you get the hang of it.

A very nice build indeed. As others have said the street is impressive. The building is really nice, too, with some of the bricks being slightly crooked to show the building's age (a simple technique in real life, but probably more difficult digitally). 

On 9/29/2020 at 9:37 AM, Count Vroskri said:

Oh no! Another oleonese Sea Rat! 

This is a truly awesome build, I love the snot cobbles and the lamppost. Very well thought out and nice. 

On 9/29/2020 at 9:50 AM, Professor Thaum said:

The ground is killer -> Nice idea !

On 9/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, Fraunces said:

The cobblework is indeed very good! Minifig posing and partchoice is very good too!!

21 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

20 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Small but packed with cool details! Especially good work on that cobblestone! :thumbup:

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the kind words. 

14 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I don't think I've seen the headlight technique used before for cobblestone - like everyone else commented, it looks really good! That render is perfect as well! I've only ever used LDD, do you think it is worth switching over to Studio? Did you do the render in Studio?

Thank you, I saw someone do a similar style floor using headlight pieces, and figured by using square 1x1 tiles, they would make pretty good cobblestones. 

I've used LDD for years, and just recently switched. It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you use it, I found it much better with many more features. And yes, that was rendered using Studio. 

12 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

I've tried both and I'd say Studio is much, much better. You can render in Studio and it looks much like this, leading me to believe he did render on studio. 

Correct. Their in program rendering is nice, as it just takes a few clicks. 

10 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Wow, this turned out great. Awesome job on the road, and the build came together quite well.

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice ground technique and minifig choice.

Having tried both, I would say Stud.io is way more promising if you get the hang of it.

Thank you! And you are correct. After a bit of a learning curve, Stud.io is much more fluid and the options are endless. Plus they seem to continue to update it and add more parts monthly. 

5 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

A very nice build indeed. As others have said the street is impressive. The building is really nice, too, with some of the bricks being slightly crooked to show the building's age (a simple technique in real life, but probably more difficult digitally). 

Thank you! And I originally had the bricks straight, but I definitely wanted that worn look, so angling a few was decided. And yes, it's a bit more complicated in the program than in physical building. But I like to think after this, I've gotten fairly quick at it. 

1 hour ago, Corweena said:

I've used LDD for years, and just recently switched. It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you use it, I found it much better with many more features. And yes, that was rendered using Studio. 

My biggest gripe with Stud.io is I can't figure out how to make a right click rest the origin.

26 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

My biggest gripe with Stud.io is I can't figure out how to make a right click rest the origin.

Reset the origin? I believe if you right click, on the menu that pops up, there is a tab that let's you set a certain piece as the origin. And right below it is a tab that resets it. I'll check later and confirm. 

Nice scene. I like the guy on the right, taking note with a quill, this kind of detail just adds a lot to a build. And the ground looks really good.

Small and effective. The minifig posing is excellent and conveys the story perfectly. As others have said, the cobble stones are cleverly built! 

Too bad the mohawk hair piece doesn't come in orange in real life... Would make for some kick-ass Northmen :grin:

On 9/30/2020 at 4:41 PM, Bodi said:

Nice scene. I like the guy on the right, taking note with a quill, this kind of detail just adds a lot to a build. And the ground looks really good.

Yeah, it took me a little bit to come up with that....I originally had a knife in his hand, but that didn't quite portray the scene as I really intended it.

8 hours ago, Khorne said:

Small and effective. The minifig posing is excellent and conveys the story perfectly. As others have said, the cobble stones are cleverly built! 

Too bad the mohawk hair piece doesn't come in orange in real life... Would make for some kick-megablocks Northmen :grin:

Thanks! And I wholeheartedly agree. I'd love if that top knot braid hair came in a variety of colors. Brown, orange, blonde....I'd make a group of "Berserker" soldiers in an instant to terrorize the seas.