Sign in to follow this  
SteamSewnEmpire

[MOC] 1670 6-gun barque longue 'La Reine'

Awesome, love the full hull! 

11 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

A few comparison shots, too:

0O0R0Ba.png

uMboBfY.png

The colours work so well together. Of the virtual ships built in minifig illusion scale, you are a master. Your ships show great attention to detail and beautiful curvature, and you always top it of with the most beautiful stern. I have had the pleasure of watching you grow from your first ship to these two, and I say I have seen the most wonderful improvement! 

Well done, keep it up! 

Edited by Count Vroskri

12 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

Thanks!

9 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

That's a very nice ship, Empire! Great colors, as always, and very nice hull curvature. The only recommendation I'd give is adding some windows to the captain's quarters. Other than that, excellent work! :sweet:

The only reason I went with the windowless stern is because the real La Belle didn't have them, either. She was designed as a kit to be shipped to North America and then hauled overland to the Mississippi (my guess is they didn't expect glass would handle that journey well). But, on the urging of the King, she was assembled in France and sailed directly for the Gulf - a voyage some doubted the tiny La Belle would survive. I bet nobody was sleeping in that cabin on those tropical nights, though! Blech!

3 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Awesome, love the full hull! 

The colours work so well together. Of the virtual ships built in minifig illusion scale, you are a master. Your ships show great attention to detail and beautiful curvature, and you always top it of with the most beautiful stern. I have had the pleasure of watching you grow from your first ship to these two, and I say I have seen the most wonderful improvement! 

Well done, keep it up! 

Thanks, man. I'm humbled by your kindness.

This is really pretty. I love the use of the inverted quarter domes to shape up the bow. Looks great!

For how many hours do you think you worked on this treat?

Keep it up!

MAC

1 hour ago, iammac said:

This is really pretty. I love the use of the inverted quarter domes to shape up the bow. Looks great!

For how many hours do you think you worked on this treat?

Keep it up!

MAC

Uhm, it probably took about 5 hours, if I recall. I did it all during the morning.

On 9/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Thanks!

The only reason I went with the windowless stern is because the real La Belle didn't have them, either. She was designed as a kit to be shipped to North America and then hauled overland to the Mississippi (my guess is they didn't expect glass would handle that journey well). But, on the urging of the King, she was assembled in France and sailed directly for the Gulf - a voyage some doubted the tiny La Belle would survive. I bet nobody was sleeping in that cabin on those tropical nights, though! Blech!

Thanks, man. I'm humbled by your kindness.

I would say remove the chequer design and have a centre decoration like this model. https://www.modelships.de/La_Belle_Ferlemann/Photos_La_belle.htm