Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

[OL - MRCA] - Blessings of Poseidon

The blue waves of Oléon's brave soldiers crashed upon the beaches of Terraversa. The fight for control of the sea front was intense and price paid for in blood, but the sons of Oléon managed to drive away the Terraversans manning the defenses. A myriad of Oléonese army units were taking part in actions all over the island to free its inhabitants from the tyrannical rule of which they were suffering, amongst them several Fusiliers Marins, or  Troupes de la Marine. Easily recognized by their token red scarf, blue uniform or striped shirts, these are Navy soldiers trained to participate in land operations from the sea.

Being part of the Navy, they share a great affinity for the sea, not unlike regular sailors. They see Poseidon as their patron deity and try to invoke his blessings in most undertakings they are part of. Once the beaches were cleared of the last stragglers and a decent beach head was set up, several men gathered to appease the King-in-the-Deep. A small wooden horse, symbol of Poseidon, carved from driftwood was their idol. The men stood and watched as it was taken by the sea, uttering songs praising the God of the Oceans.

50386157186_61944ed9eb_c.jpg

50386333362_5ba9b4e1f8_c.jpg

The battle for Terraversa did not end on the beaches, however, and the soldiers were ordered to march further inland in assistance of other army units heavily involved in the house-to-house fighting in Kings Port. So, they crossed the beach head trenches which were still smoldering from the battle and trekked to their next ordeal. Some surrendering Terraversans were still being rounded up and readied for questioning later. You might never know what valuable information they hold...

50385461593_364fdfc843_c.jpg

50386333417_3873b8df75_c.jpg

Aiding the men of Oléon were several natives of El Oleonda who had volunteered to join the impressive army of the blue coats in search of adventure and to satiate their lust for fighting. Wielding a their trademark machetes they had descended upon the trenches with great fury and valor which had utterly surprised and shocked the defenders.

Spoiler

50385461698_aa7ef28efe_c.jpg

One can only hope the Lord of the Depths is listening and does indeed grant his blessings over this endeavour.

For Oléon and the King!

-------
OOC: Sorry for yet another beach scene, @Mesabi :laugh:. I've built these small MOCs last week, but only got around to taking pictures today. I will try to follow-up with a city fight!

I didn't really know what to use for Terraversan soldiers, so I just used the sand green Frodo torsos. I've seen custom yellow torsos being used, but I'm not really a fan of using stickers ...

I was struggling with making a decent beach at first, but then I saw @Ross Fisher's Star Wars build and really liked the smoothness of it, so I decided to make my own version of that concept.

AMAZING builds. The first one and second are very unique and full of details. The trenches and the beach, and the smoke effect makes it surprisingly realistic! :thumbup:

Great builds. You've definitely improved on my initial version. I realised that mine is partially inspired by this build: 

Hokusai - Great wave off Kanagawa - front

So thats your challenge for next time. 

@Khorne sorry to disappoint, but beach #4 gets no complaints from me! The uniqueness and the time and effort spent on this build really makes it pop. I love the trench, the fig selection, and the water effects. 

This turned out great, and I'm quite impressed it looks this well for a beach scene. 

I like the details that each build has. The use of those 1x1 modified studs as footprints in the sand is clever.

Great builds. Beaches and the surf can be difficult to capture, and the technique you used works well. But I think the second build is my favorite. Sure, we have seen a few beach builds before, but your execution is perfect. The editing in the last 2 pictures is a fantastic addition, and adds to the post-battle atmosphere you captured. Well done. 

15 hours ago, Fraunces said:

AMAZING builds. The first one and second are very unique and full of details. The trenches and the beach, and the smoke effect makes it surprisingly realistic! :thumbup:

I've been watching '1864' on Netflix and also had 'Alatriste' in mind, both featuring gunpowder era trenches and I knew I wanted to build something like that. Ideally, I would've made a longer and more winding trench, but I sadly don't have the parts to do that. There was also an excellent Star Wars Factions build featuring an Imperial trench that served as inspiration. Can't remember who built it, though.

14 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Great builds. You've definitely improved on my initial version. I realised that mine is partially inspired by this build: 

[SNIP]

So thats your challenge for next time. 

WOW! That rendition of Hokusai's Great Wave is just gorgeous! Instantly recognizable and indeed some interesting wave techniques there.

13 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Nice one guys! I keep admiring the natives' upside down red scarf with the red 1x1 round plate. Looks so natural.

The upside down scarf is something I saw a long time ago somewhere. It's not my own idea, just to be clear :grin:.

13 hours ago, Mesabi said:

@Khorne sorry to disappoint, but beach #4 gets no complaints from me! The uniqueness and the time and effort spent on this build really makes it pop. I love the trench, the fig selection, and the water effects. 

This turned out great, and I'm quite impressed it looks this well for a beach scene. 

Glad to hear! 

12 hours ago, merc said:

I like the details that each build has. The use of those 1x1 modified studs as footprints in the sand is clever.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Nicely done! The variety and story is very nice. I always like seeing a beach build that way! It's just really satisfying to me for some reason. :grin:

I think the SNOT way looks better than exposed studs for beaches, because the studs give to much texture to represent wet sand properly. I transitioned from SNOT to studs to show the start of the "looser" sand and the dunes.

4 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

Great builds. Beaches and the surf can be difficult to capture, and the technique you used works well. But I think the second build is my favorite. Sure, we have seen a few beach builds before, but your execution is perfect. The editing in the last 2 pictures is a fantastic addition, and adds to the post-battle atmosphere you captured. Well done. 

Thanks! I agree that the smoke and editing add to the atmosphere. I really wanted an atmosphere like that to show the grittiness. Since I'm not a great photographer, I resorted to Photoshop instead to accomplish my goal :grin:.

On to Kingsport and victory!

Nice beach scene! It's amazing to see so many details at this scale, clever use of the snotted bricks for the footprints on the sand. The entranchement looks good too.

Two fantastic scenes with your trademark awesome minifigs! I really like the first scene showing the soldiers making the offering. The depth of field on the first photo is brilliantly done and the technique used to create the wave foam with white clips looks very cool. It's not the usual battle scene and I think really adds to the story here. Those native troops look fierce (especially the guy with the scar on his face - I haven't seen that head before). The trench is well done as well, especially the walkway over the top (I do love that headlight/tile technique!)

On 9/27/2020 at 4:46 PM, Bodi said:

Nice beach scene! It's amazing to see so many details at this scale, clever use of the snotted bricks for the footprints on the sand. The entranchement looks good too.

Thanks, Bodi! I'd like to build larger scenes, but I don't have the bricks to build an elaborate battlefield so I just try to make small scenes as interesting as possible to compensate.

22 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Two fantastic scenes with your trademark awesome minifigs! I really like the first scene showing the soldiers making the offering. The depth of field on the first photo is brilliantly done and the technique used to create the wave foam with white clips looks very cool. It's not the usual battle scene and I think really adds to the story here. Those native troops look fierce (especially the guy with the scar on his face - I haven't seen that head before). The trench is well done as well, especially the walkway over the top (I do love that headlight/tile technique!)

Thanks! Oleon being such a pious nation, at least someone has to do an offering to make sure the omens are right :grin:. Glad you like the photos, since photography isn't really my forte. I need to get some proper lighting to light my setup, but I find it really difficult to find good ones. Right now, I'm really dependent upon the weather for good, natural lighting which often makes my photos rather dark.

The scarred face is originally from one of Garmadon's fish soldiers from the Ninjago movie. The scar makes it look rather fierce indeed.