Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-MCRA] The Brave Defenders of Stormhaven

Type: MCRA Outcome / GOC Task (12-A)

The Sea Rat Fleet was swift, firing into the wooden frame of Fort Coyle. In moments, it was ablaze, and the raiders upon the town. 

50382956841_3bbbc7de11_z.jpg

But that did not stop Stormhaven's brave defenders.

50382254373_26b0e60065_z.jpg

Quickly, they readied arms, and rushed to the Town's defense. 

50382956226_5587fe589c_z.jpg

And by there brave actions, they managed to save* the town of Stormhaven

50382480278_532f6cc9b4_z.jpg

FIN

*some of

Just a small build to count for reactivating the Fort in Stormhaven. I always like building for the settlement, and I'm mostly happy with how this one turned out. I don't plan to license it, as it as a MCRA build (unless the crown thinks it can / should be)

The OOC is that it is a small barracks that the off duty soldiers were hanging out in before Stormhaven was attacked, and that they are rushing out to defend the settlement. If it were EGS it would be small residence, at 16x22. The Storefront is a simple 8x8. 

The biggest Issue I had was the roof, due to some parts limitations I have for my collection currently. I tried several different techniques, before just deciding to use slopes for the front of the build, and just not having any shots of the entire build. I would have liked to have had a full roof, but it would have sacrificed build quality, and I figured I'd rather have a simple solution that doesn't detract from the build, than a complicated one that does. I did use what my original plan for the roof was in the store front build, and it does look way better, but I just didn't have the pieces to make it for the entire build. 

I did consider doing an 'action build' of the Sea Rats fighting Corrington, but I ended up deciding to do a build of the fort being repaired... until I realized I couldn't match the style of Fort Coyle well enough, and a different build would be a better option. This went through a few iterations, first i had a scene of workers digging out the mangroves to build a foundation for a new fort, but it ended up basically just being 2 minifigs next to a dock. Then was a very mediocre watchtower build ( @Darnok can attest to) that looked like a pile of brown with a second pile of brown on it. I finally decided to do a cabin design as a barracks, and I think it's a solid build. 

The Storefront was to mostly round out the build, and hit the 20x20 (400) stud count. I realized very late building it that I was short. (22x16 is only 352) so I made a small build to round out the story, and meet the stud count. 

I think the only real change I would have made, is perhaps having it have a bigger interior. I used a technique that went well with some other builds (having a layer of white tiles inside of the build, so it has a more clean interior), but it did take away most of the space of the interior, to the point I couldn't fit more in than the box and the minifigs. I also was on the fence about mixing fleshy and yellows, but I didn't think it detracted from the build having both. 

Anyways, C&C appreciated. @Bregir @Ayrlego @Captain Dee and @SilentWolf please make sure you add your :thumbup: or :thumbdown: as to this build. 

EDIT: So rereading the description of Stormhaven and reviewing more pictures, I can see how these builds don't fit the task as well, as they're not 'properly' suspended over mangroves. This was kinda clear more from the side angles, but having looked at it more, I'd say that it doesn't show it to a point as well was the other builds, and if that is the point of the task to a point of enough to disqualify these, I understand. (I do stand by it repairing the fort though! :pir-grin:)

Edited by Mesabi

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

Argh he mixed the yellow and fleshy !!!

Hung him out to dry !

:pir-tongue:

48 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

Wait!  Did I destroy a fort?  Neat!

Yup! If you successfully raid a settlement, the forts (or at least one of them) need to be repaired. 

20 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Argh he mixed the yellow and fleshy !!!

I have to agree, this pains my eye :jollyroger:

Although I have to say I do like the wrecked house in the 2nd build

Love how this one turned out, as I can attest to quite some reworks in the WIP phase. :pir-thumb:

The attention to detail is nice, like that soldier unbinding the boat (great part usage with the whip!), or how you did the stained glass window. In contrast to others I like the mix of yellows and fleshies - diversity! Well done, and Stormhaven should be safe once more. :pir-classic:

Very nice work Mesabi.

I think the first building is my favourite. I like the attention to detail you paid on the texture of the wood with the grille bricks and SNOT tiles. The window using trans plates works really well too. The roof slopes seem kind of off being level with the façade. Maybe have them overhang by one? Hard to say if that would have worked. It looks fine though. I do like that you clad the inside with the white. Like for Darnok, the soldier unbinding the boat stands out for me. The second building is also quite nice, the texture on the wharf again is pleasing to see! I'm not sure about the tile arrangement on the roof, something doesn't look quite right to me but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.Lastly, the colour schemes used for both are fantastic (except for the mix of yellow and fleshie.... :pir-sick: Each to his own I guess!!!)

:thumbup::thumbup: from me!!!

On 9/26/2020 at 4:18 AM, Mesabi said:

So rereading the description of Stormhaven and reviewing more pictures, I can see how these builds don't fit the task as well, as they're not 'properly' suspended over mangroves.

Fits fine as far as I am concerned. Not every part of the waterfront will have mangroves and you still managed to capture the concept of building over the water.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:18 AM, Mesabi said:

I don't plan to license it, as it as a MCRA build (unless the crown thinks it can / should be)

That's cool. I would normally say that not every build needs to be licensed... but (from the GoC task description):

On 1/14/2019 at 7:11 AM, Ayrlego said:

Your scenes must be able to be licensed in the EGS.

I think the effort and attention to detail would easily justify the first build as a small residence. The settlement would be happy to care care of it for you should you wish.

Thanks for the comment

On 9/26/2020 at 7:22 AM, Count Vroskri said:

Awesome! 

Thanks!

On 9/26/2020 at 11:39 AM, Fraunces said:

I have to agree, this pains my eye :jollyroger:

Although I have to say I do like the wrecked house in the 2nd build

Your annoyance fuels me! Minifig Diversity! :pir-laugh:

or I could do to these figures what I did to Thaum's avatar....

On 9/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Nicely done @Mesabi! I can definitely see a marked improvement in your builds no matter the size. Good work. :thumbup:

Thank you so much!

On 9/27/2020 at 2:02 PM, Darnok said:

Love how this one turned out, as I can attest to quite some reworks in the WIP phase. :pir-thumb:

The attention to detail is nice, like that soldier unbinding the boat (great part usage with the whip!), or how you did the stained glass window. In contrast to others I like the mix of yellows and fleshies - diversity! Well done, and Stormhaven should be safe once more. :pir-classic:

Thanks Darnok, and I did actually dust everything off with a paintbrush as well, per your suggestion.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, Ayrlego said:

Very nice work Mesabi.

:thumbup::thumbup: from me!!!

Thank you!

The roof slopes seem kind of off being level with the façade. Maybe have them overhang by one? Hard to say if that would have worked. It looks fine though.

Hmm, I do think that could have looked better than having the studs jut out. I'll consider this for future builds.

That's cool. I would normally say that not every build needs to be licensed... but (from the GoC task description):

I think the effort and attention to detail would easily justify the first build as a small residence. The settlement would be happy to care care of it for you should you wish.

I just wasn't sure if I could, as technically this is an MCRA outcome, and I wanted to make sure I at least checked to make sure it was ok. (As I have been notorious for using the same build for multiple things.

I will license it as a small residence in Stormhaven.

Just so I am clear (no underlying reason :wink:), this build is now being licensed as a residence and no longer being used to repair the fort.

That is my take as per the one moc = one “move” protocol.

7 hours ago, Mesabi said:

(As I have been notorious for using the same build for multiple things.)

I will license it as a small residence in Stormhaven.

This built is for fortification repair or a small residence ?

It is not clear for me.

If I can use it for both, I will.

If not, it's to repair the fort, and my GOC task, which is a faction specific thing.

20 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

ust so I am clear (no underlying reason :wink:), this build is now being licensed as a residence and no longer being used to repair the fort.

That is my take as per the one moc = one “move” protocol.

19 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

This built is for fortification repair or a small residence ?

It is not clear for me.

I shall refer it to a non-Corrie court member for an impartial judgement, but as there are two separate builds; both showing reasonable effort,  I see no objection to using the first one to satisfy the licensing requirement for the GoC task and the second one combined with the story to satisfy the requirement to repair the fort.

@Capt Wolf/ @Bodi Could we get a ruling here please.

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I shall refer it to a non-Corrie court member for an impartial judgement, but as there are two separate builds; both showing reasonable effort,  I see no objection to using the first one to satisfy the licensing requirement for the GoC task and the second one combined with the story to satisfy the requirement to repair the fort.

Could we get a ruling here please.

My understanding is that it's ok to use a build to both address a MRCA issue (i.e., sistership a lost ship, or show a MRCA result, etc.) and serve as a licensable property, and this build (or collection of small builds) appears to do just that, so I'm ok with it serving as a fort repair build and being licensed as a small residence.

To address Kwatchi's concern, it couldn't serve as two different licensable properties.

5 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

@Capt Wolf/ @Bodi Could we get a ruling here please.

I'm ok with that, for me, these builds showed sufficient effort, especially when comparing with some of the properties we used to see before the unfortunate destruction of Mesabi's Landing.:pir-grin: