JintaiZ

Has there been too much Brand Collaborations with the LEGO Group?

Do you think the LEGO Group has released too much collaboration sets with other brands?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the LEGO Group has released too much collaboration sets with other brands?

2. 2. Do you want these sets to continue?

3. 3. Will you be purchasing one of these sets?

• Of course!
    • Perhaps?
    • No, too expensive
    • No, doesn't interest me

8 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I got quite a few of the tiny boxed sets via supermarket promotion back in the 90s, now even Brickset doesn't exactly know where they all came from.

They must be rare!!!

There were also the KK2 knights given out with Nestle Cereals.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

There were also the KK2 knights given out with Nestle Cereals.

Correct. Though TLG is just releasing sooooooooooooo much stuff all of a sudden!

3 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Correct. Though TLG is just releasing sooooooooooooo much stuff all of a sudden!

They aren't though - as already made clear on this thread. The other companies are. LEGO isn't selling the Adidas or the IKEA boxes. They are giving some of the Adidas shoes away as VIP rewards, but otherwise it is an Adidas product. The Ikea boxes are not for sale by Lego, just Ikea. The Levi products are only sold so far by Levi but some select styles will be available on lego.com. Lego don't make the jeans, Levi does. LEGO is partnering here. And as already said, nothing new to anyone that has been into LEGO for a while. There are loads of other products produced every year with the LEGO logo on that are not manufactured or sold by LEGO.

14 minutes ago, MAB said:

They aren't though - as already made clear on this thread. The other companies are. LEGO isn't selling the Adidas or the IKEA boxes. They are giving some of the Adidas shoes away as VIP rewards, but otherwise it is an Adidas product. The Ikea boxes are not for sale by Lego, just Ikea. The Levi products are only sold so far by Levi but some select styles will be available on lego.com. Lego don't make the jeans, Levi does. LEGO is partnering here. And as already said, nothing new to anyone that has been into LEGO for a while. There are loads of other products produced every year with the LEGO logo on that are not manufactured or sold by LEGO.

But still. They are both LEGO and Adidas/Ikea/Levi

Yes they are non-LEGO products made by other companies with the LEGO branding on, aside from the bricks set that is sold by IKEA as that one is actually LEGO. 

The big difference this year is the publicity that LEGO are giving the items, not that they are licensing their name/logo to other companies.

The Levis are not even the first time they have done sweaters with snap on items. In the late 80s/90s LEGO did sweatshirts with clip on minifigures, although that was through a clip glued to the back rather than a true Lego connection. Plus they were for kids, not adults.

19 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

64 days, 14 posts per day, constant new threads 'just asking questions' always critical of TLG with a poll and contrarian responses to everything. All the members here posting thoughtful, multi-paragraph replies only to be retorted with a one-sentence antagonist sally completely ignoring everything everyone says. Just wasting everyone's time.

Not just that. I also respond to other people's MOCs and discuss other stuff.

Also, many LEGO fan websites discuss about these questions too. I actually haven't posted much stuff myself.

12 hours ago, MAB said:

Given the amount of stores that LEGO are opening in China, I think they intend to let Chinese people do a lot more than look at it.

That is certainly true - I was referring though to the "makers" and not the "players". The ones that have all these machines and folks that actually make stuff; electronics, plastics, cars, TV sets - as said - virtually everything.

So I just put myself into the position of lets say a person who runs a manufacturing place for PUp devices - just teh electronics that is. He has instructions - signed the hell of a paperwork not to tell anyone, what is going on. Just order stuff put it together, ship it over to the US/Europe/etc. in big containers. That person has multiple vpn tunnels to places all over the world - who has not in a totalitarian system. He knows what the increase in value is, when his stuff leaves his place and shows up at the other side of the pond. And further in the great stores selling the stuff to customers. Or via TLGs online portals; currently 50€ for the 2IO PUp hub. Electronics made for far less than 1$ at his place - including his margin. 

Somebody else shows up and says: How much for the circuit diagrams?

I leave it up to the fair players, the loyal believers in fair trade, the belief in the power of IP, the moral of Homo sapiens to answer with: "Sorry, I am not allowed to tell. Please leave."

I also bet that being in his position with what he knows, many in his position would at least give it a shot (just asking - no obligations made): "How much do you intend to spend?"

I call that the real world.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Best
Thorsten

30 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

All the members here posting thoughtful, multi-paragraph replies SNIP

And that is what I am enjoying pretty much. Your posts included, which I think highly of. As of so many others - the ones I'd like to call (with pride being a tiny little part of these discussions) the usual suspects. It - for some reason - feels good.

True, the one sentence answers don't tell much if at all, but the multi paragraphs of the usual suspects do.

Best
Thorsten

There are plenty of users here whose writing skills “aren’t the best” and aren’t even native users of English but they still manage to post far more interesting and thought-provoking content than contrarian one-liners that reliably miss the point.

7 minutes ago, jimmynick said:

There are plenty of users here whose writing skills “aren’t the best” and aren’t even native users of English but they still manage to post far more interesting and thought-provoking content than contrarian one-liners that reliably miss the point.

Okay, then a lot of people are enjoying it. Some may not but I see most people enjoying it.

Also, brickset and Jay's brick blog does these type of discussions too

10 hours ago, koalayummies said:

64 days, 14 posts per day, constant new threads 'just asking questions' always critical of TLG with a poll and contrarian responses to everything. All the members here posting thoughtful, multi-paragraph replies only to be retorted with a one-sentence antagonist sally completely ignoring everything everyone says. Just wasting everyone's time.

Fantastic post!

If you are all going to pile in and pick on another member then you should maybe take a moment to think and then post something productive elsewhere on the forum.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:25 PM, koalayummies said:

Sorry to hear that.

Edited by JintaiZ

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

If you don't like these types of discussions you could just look elsewhere and find what you like instead of saying that this is a waste of time. Right?

You never responded as to why it's a problem if someone else wants to wear their love of Lego with a brand collaborated product (the title and subject of this thread). Not much discussion going on here but I'll take your autocratic suggestion to go elsewhere.

Edited by koalayummies

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

You never responded as to why it's a problem if someone else wants to wear their love of Lego with a brand collaborated product (the title and subject of this thread). Not much discussion going on here but I'll take your autocratic suggestion to go elsewhere.

Where mine autocratic?

There is no room for personal attack on Eurobricks. I would hope all long time members were aware of this. 

@JintaiZ, maybe try figuring out a reasoned response to people's posts. Instead of immediate short replies, take some time to arrange your thoughts and write them out, something that addresses the point and your own opinion on the matter. Just a tip for forum posting.

35 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Where mine autocratic?

There is no room for personal attack on Eurobricks. I would hope all long time members were aware of this. 

@JintaiZ, maybe try figuring out a reasoned response to people's posts. Instead of immediate short replies, take some time to arrange your thoughts and write them out, something that addresses the point and your own opinion on the matter. Just a tip for forum posting.

Got it. Thanks.

(Hell - typed something super smart - sounded totally dumb after reading it, deleted it - so many times now ...)

OK - here we go: :pir-huzzah2:

That said: It is the decision of the folks who reply, isn't it?

To be quite honest: Before the shit hit the fan here, I was kinda on the same track. But looking back:

I kinda feel it "refreshing". A sentence here, a new twist there. And all the heavy weights - well - weigh in. And then a new push into a new direction. What is wrong with that?

Thinking about it: @JintaiZ I like it. I like to be challenged. If it is just a new twist. I do like that. Plus: Your replies are always kind. Got that a little wrong: Please accept my apologies.

With regard to the love of LEGO and the notion that being critical is not appropriate: The moment you are not critical anymore (in the true sense of being critical: Educated, aware, awake, constructive ...), chances are you're getting blind. I do love LEGO. But love is not pledging the allegiance to the brick. Love is much more than that.

And with that: :pir-huzzah1:

Best
Thorsten

Merde: You just posted a second before me ... 2nd Edit: OK, it was 5 minutes

Edited by Toastie

2 minutes ago, Toastie said:

(Hell - typed something super smart - sounded totally dumb after reading it, deleted it - so many times now ...)

OK - here we go: :pir-huzzah2:

That said: It is the decision of the folks who reply, isn't it?

To be quite honest: Before the shit hit the fan here, I was kinda on the same track. But looking back:

I kinda feel it "refreshing". A sentence here, a new twist there. And all the heavy weights - well - weigh in. And then a new push into a new direction. What is wrong with that?

Thinking about it: @JintaiZ I like it. I like to be challenged. If it is just a new twist. I do like that. Plus: Your replies are always kind. Got that a little wrong: Please accept my apologies.

With regard to the love of LEGO and the notion that being critical is not appropriate: The moment you are not critical anymore (in the true sense of being critical: Educated, aware, awake, constructive ...), chances are you're getting blind. I do love LEGO. But love is not pledging the allegiance to the brick. Love is much more than that.

And with that: :pir-huzzah1:

Best
Thorsten

Thank you very much, Toastie!

Yes, I will include a whole paragraph next time.

I also want to mention that I respect people's opinions, regardless of whether they agree with me or not. However, I simply don't like it when people are coming here and calling it a waste of time. Personally, if there is a topic I do not like, I will just not comment.

3 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I also want to mention that I respect people's opinions, regardless of whether they agree with me or not. However, I simply don't like it when people are coming here and calling it a waste of time. Personally, if there is a topic I do not like, I will just not comment.

:thumbup:

(Check this: This is a one icon, no paragraph, entirely serious response!)

1 minute ago, Toastie said:

:thumbup:

(Check this: This is a one icon, no paragraph, entirely serious response!)

Links??? Or the sentence you just typed???

Oh, that second part is: :sarcasm_smug:

Edited by JintaiZ

No, not sarcasm. It is: Reinforcing what you just replied! I find that really, really nice!

Best wishes and keep it coming!

Best
Thorsten

1 minute ago, Toastie said:

No, not sarcasm. It is: Reinforcing what you just replied! I find that really, really nice!

Best wishes and keep it coming!

Best
Thorsten

I definitely will! Thank you soooooo much for your support! It really does mean a lot to me!

I'll still have to think about the next topic... If you have a suggestion you can type it here or message me ;)