Bob

Mystery on the Excelsior - Chapter Three

dqpe17Z.png

Mystery on the Excelsior

Chapter Three - What's Cooking?

The party awakens to a new day after an uneasy sleep to investigate the kitchens.

4d2qDE9.jpg

(Note: Some bricks were removed to make it easier to view)

The kitchen is modestly sized with several drawers and cabinets. There's a sink, an oven, and a stove-top. Behind the kitchen is the walk-in fridge - it is not accessible via the kitchen itself and is available to enter through a side door down the hallway.

"It's just about breakfast time!"

Players:

Crew:
O4nNLgZ.jpg
Captain Amelia Bennett - Played by Shadows
a9LmkZe.jpg
Noah Baker, chef - Played by Kristel
uNyxz2i.jpg
Arthur Allan, steward - Played by Waterbrick Down
wVKWqjg.jpg
Gabriella Palmer, engineer - Played by Hinckley

Passengers:
mgQbu7n.jpg
George Dawson, businessman - Played by Lind Whisperer
khgWrze.jpg
Emily Dawson, lawyer - Played by jimmynick
m8LtAPw.jpg
Jack Mallory, author - Played by KotZ
azDfTzM.jpg
Dr. Logan Frost, psychiatrist - Played by Fugazi
cA5sTWe.jpg
Charlotte Sawyer, regional politician - Played by Pandora
7CiugGh.jpg
Sophie Young, lecturer - Played by Darkdragon
ADe4Wjs.jpg
Charlie Seymour, zoologist - Played by Tariq j
a5KgBCs.jpg
Oliver Hudson, artist - Played by Trekkie99

NPCs:
zNfe8Dd.jpg
Jason Falcon, helmsman
4HM4d8q.jpg
Pierce Foster, navigator
dWj3VGR.jpg
Alfie Peck, passenger (deceased)
XJ8hyoE.jpg
Ezra Parry, passenger (missing)

Rules

1) Every player has received a character with a backstory and information that may be exclusive to them knowing. You can feel free to roleplay the character and flesh them out more. Mystery games are often primarily role-playing games, don’t forget that. There is no such thing as a “fluff post” or anything to the like. Throw out any conceptions you have used in mafia games. Feel free to make the character yours beyond what I've given.

2) There is no voting of players in this game. Providing something extreme, all twelve characters will last until the end of the game, at which time they must attempt to “solve” the mystery. You win if you are able to correctly solve the mystery, or if you get close enough to do so. This will happen in the final chapter of the game. You’ll receive several questions and then you have to answer them and explain. If you get it right, you win. If not, well…

3) A chapter will last as long as necessary for the story with no given or set end time. This is, of course, different to mafia games where days last about 72 hours. Keep in mind that mystery games often run longer than mafia games. If you commit to signing up and playing, make sure you can participate for at least a few months.

4) There is no PMing in the game without my permission. For example, you can say “I wish to speak to this person privately” and I may give you approval to do so.

5) You must search for clues. The room that you enter will be described to you and will also usually have a photo to accompany the description. This means that clues typically won’t be out in the open for you to see. If you want to search a room or area for clues, you cannot type:

“I want to look for suspicious or hidden objects in this room."

Rather, you must specify what you want to do. For example:    

“I want to open the drawers of the cabinet.”

You can only submit one action at a time until I reply to it, but anyone can request a search of something at the same time as you. For example, if you ask for a search of a closet, you must wait until I reply to it to submit another action. However other players can request searches of other parts of the room.

6) Please don’t edit your posts. There’s no real penalty to it, but it might make you look more suspicious and I would appreciate not doing so. If you’re worried about a typo, double check your post.

7) Do not talk about the game outside of the threads!

8) This is still a game of deception. Players have things that they wish to hide. If you have any questions about your character, feel free to ask via PM!

9) Make sure any actions that you take are in italics and on a separate line so I can see them. If I miss it for some reason, just quote it and yell at me in another post.

10) When it’s time to end the chapter, you can decide where you’d like to go next in the form of a vote. Voting will last 24 hours strictly. The location with the most votes will win. You’ll be given a map/layout of the ship as well as some choices that you can explore. You can always return to a previous location if you wish.

11) I know we'll all be good rule-followers, but I'll ask everyone to adhere to these rules. Breaking them too frequently could see you removed from the game

AEkTCC1.png

Room Key:
1a: Jack Mallory
1b: Sophie Young
1c: Charlie Seymour
1d: Oliver Hudson
1e: Alfie Peck
1f: Logan Frost
1g: Ezra Parry
1h: vacant

2a: Charlotte Sawyer
2b: George and Emily Dawson

You have visited: The Lounge, Rooms 1e and 1g, the kitchen/storage, and engineering. 

Noah wonders how the pie survived the jolt out of FTL. "Guess what we're having for breakfast!"

Emily is grateful there is still a pie to be shared, but she hopes that by poking around she will find additional food to eat.

Emily looks at what’s under the sink.

I would like to open the drawers and rustle through them.

I'd like to check for any dead frozen bodies in the walk in freezer, while keeping a foot in the door to make sure I don't get locked in and turned into that which I was searching for. Along with check to see what's in the freezer in general. Any mint chocolate chip ice cream? Dibs. Whole bucket. Don't even look at it it's all mine."

Good Morning everyone! What’s for breakfast?

I’d like to look for any clues inside the oven.

13 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Emily is grateful there is still a pie to be shared, but she hopes that by poking around she will find additional food to eat.

Emily looks at what’s under the sink.

Underneath the sink is an extremely sophisticated water filtration and reclamation system. There’s not too much else underneath besides a few cleaning products and a small power vacuum. 

11 hours ago, Hinckley said:

I would like to open the drawers and rustle through them.

The drawers are full of various kitchen utensils that the chef uses to make his five star meals. There’s also various cutlery and other assorted items. There’s a variety of different knives, from carving to butter, and there’s also a few spices and herbs. 

11 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

I'd like to check for any dead frozen bodies in the walk in freezer, while keeping a foot in the door to make sure I don't get locked in and turned into that which I was searching for. Along with check to see what's in the freezer in general. Any mint chocolate chip ice cream? Dibs. Whole bucket. Don't even look at it it's all mine."

The only dead body is that of Alfie. The refrigerator is sizable, with many different perishables in there. The items on the shelves seemed to have survived the sudden jostle and seem to be well-secured. On one wall, there’s a row of closed and secure freezers, like what one might see at a grocery store. 

5 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

I examine the shelf left of the cupboard.

*Drawers

There’s several stacked plates from last nights dinner service as well as numerous different sweets and cakes. 

2 hours ago, Tariq j said:

Good Morning everyone! What’s for breakfast?

I’d like to look for any clues inside the oven.

The oven has two drawers on it. The top is a typical sophisticated oven where food can be quickly heated, similar to an old microwave, yet retain its flavor and still be good tasting. The other drawer is more antiquated and is similar to an oven from the early 2000s. Both ovens have been recently used and are both meticulously cleaned. 

Arthur sets the body down, "So what are we left with? One passenger dead another missing. A mysteriously convenient power outage, threats over a new invention and an old fashioned calendar? Noah is there anything missing aside from the teapot, that you're aware of?

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Arthur sets the body down, "So what are we left with? One passenger dead another missing. A mysteriously convenient power outage, threats over a new invention and an old fashioned calendar? Noah is there anything missing aside from the teapot, that you're aware of?

"Aliens, perhaps?"

I'd like to check the stove to see if it works.

4 hours ago, KotZ said:

"Aliens, perhaps?"

I'd like to check the stove to see if it works.

The stovetop is indeed functional, just in case you'd like to help with breakfast.

25 minutes ago, Bob said:

The stovetop is indeed functional, just in case you'd like to help with breakfast.

"Hmm. It doesn't seem like it' been tampered with or damaged."

8 hours ago, Bob said:

The drawers are full of various kitchen utensils that the chef uses to make his five star meals. There’s also various cutlery and other assorted items. There’s a variety of different knives, from carving to butter, and there’s also a few spices and herbs. 

The only dead body is that of Alfie. The refrigerator is sizable, with many different perishables in there. The items on the shelves seemed to have survived the sudden jostle and seem to be well-secured. On one wall, there’s a row of closed and secure freezers, like what one might see at a grocery store.

@Shadows "Captain - with the assassin running loose, I propose several of the more respectable passengers arm themselves with carving knives. We don't know what we're facing."

I canvas the freezers.

Emily tugs her lips sharply to one side to express disapproval of Gabriella's plan to inspect the kitchen. "We ain't found shit, unless you wanted to search for a smoked salmon frittata."

52 minutes ago, Bob said:

Let's find some self-raising flour, some baking powder, an egg, some sugar, et voilá, pancakes!

9 hours ago, Bob said:

On one wall, there’s a row of closed and secure freezers, like what one might see at a grocery store. 

Noah would like to open each of these to see what is inside.

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Noah is there anything missing aside from the teapot, that you're aware of?

"Nothing that I'm aware of."

59 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

I canvas the freezers.

Noah apologises to George after realising he's already looking in the freezers.

It would seem that we've combed through the kitchen pretty thoroughly.

Is there any pie left?

"If the kitchen seems devoid of clues, perhaps the empty guest room would be the next step?"

7 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

@Shadows "Captain - with the assassin running loose, I propose several of the more respectable passengers arm themselves with carving knives. We don't know what we're facing."

I canvas the freezers.

"Mr. Dawson, you cannot be serious? How in the world would you make that determination and furthermore what makes you believe there will be more deaths?"

18 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Mr. Dawson, you cannot be serious? How in the world would you make that determination and furthermore what makes you believe there will be more deaths?"

"The captain is a poor whisperer.

The killer has already killed once, why not again? Especially if it helps protects their identity."

"And I'm quite serious. I booked this vacation to take a get-away with my wife. One of us dying would ruin that, greatly.

I've lived a full life, but I'll be bloody twitted if I let someone hurt my love. NO offense, Captain, but this ship lacks certain security facilities. And in their absence, we must protect ourselves."

Just now, Lind Whisperer said:

"The captain is a poor whisperer.

The killer has already killed once, why not again? Especially if it helps protects their identity."

"I'd still contest that the first murder does not appear pre-meditated. That would mean the individual isn't the killing type, which means they probably aren't some sort of stone-cold heartless machine and they're probably freaking out right now and simply wanting to get off this ship. Now that the police have been notified, if they simply start killing people left and right, they'll only make it more difficult on themselves once the authorities show up. Intentionally arming everyone runs the risk of escalating tensions and the possibility of irrational action by the guests whether they mean it or not. Mr. Peck was seemingly done in with a teapot, if you can't defend yourself against that, I don't know what good a knife would do you."

12 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"More respectable passengers? They're the most likely suspects!"

I'd like to jettison all the knives, and the teapots, just to be safe.

6 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"If the kitchen seems devoid of clues, perhaps the empty guest room would be the next step?"

Seymour pops his head out of the oven he has been inspecting.

"I concur with Mr Allan, it looks as though the kitchen doesn't tell us anything we already know. Though myself and Colin would like a slice of pie if there's any left"

18 hours ago, Kristel said:

Noah would like to open each of these to see what is inside.

The freezers are full of various frozen foods that are intended to be used for future meals. There doesn't seem to be anything unexpected or unusual in the freezers. Everything seems to be where Noah remembers putting them.

6 hours ago, Shadows said:

"More respectable passengers? They're the most likely suspects!"

I'd like to jettison all the knives, and the teapots, just to be safe.

The captain gathers all the knives and teapots and puts them in a bag with which to jettison next time she's near the airlock. The airlock is near engineering.

"Not much to go on yet, is there? Bit disappointing. Perhaps we should visit engineering next to follow up on that dream I had..."

Emily finds the lack of pancakes disturbing but she keeps her thoughts in third-person omniscient narration rather than bringing the issue up directly with the chef. "We've looked in the oven, under the sink, and in the drawers, but has anyone checked under the countertop with solid wall that is close to Chef Baker?"

Emily checks under the countertop with solid wall that is close to Chef Baker.

14 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

I've lived a full life, but I'll be bloody twitted if I let someone hurt my love.

"Thank you for your concern, daaaahling, and I would be just as worried if anyone threatened you!"

2 hours ago, jimmynick said:

"Not much to go on yet, is there? Bit disappointing. Perhaps we should visit engineering next to follow up on that dream I had..."

"I'd like to suggest the bridge, so that we can follow up on Gabriella's earlier query and see what else we can learn from the security and other terminals on the bridge."

On 9/18/2020 at 8:42 AM, Hinckley said:

I'm referring to the key cards. Is it possible to scan the card at one of the terminals to see which doors on the ship the key card has accessed and at what times, specifically I'd like to know what key card accessed Engineering right before the FTL drive shut down.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bob said:

It's possible for the passenger cards, as those are individual. The crew cards, except for the captain's, are all uniform and not unique. You would have to use a security terminal on the bridge or in engineering in order to determine that information.