Lego does Star Wars but they should they also do Star Trek which has been popular for many people in this whole world too. I would like the mini figures of the Captains Kirk and Captain Picard and The Klingons and the Borg and Wesley Crusher who is Wil Wheeton and Data and all the others. Even if Star Wars is bigger and better I would also like to have Star Trek as I like both. But what do you think. Comment below to have your say this time and make this happen.

I think they could do it, albeit at a much smaller scale, and be temporary. Think themes like LOTR/LEGO Movie, etc

I'm not sure about the current status of Mega Construx with the license, but they have made Star Trek sets in the past.

But based on what they show on their site, seems they currently focus on other licenses.

Edited by TeriXeri

6 hours ago, Jimalaya said:

Even if Star Wars is bigger and better

Well Star Trek is clearly better, so we don't need to debate that bit.  :wink:  :laugh:

3 hours ago, BPK2300 said:

I think they could do it, albeit at a much smaller scale, and be temporary. Think themes like LOTR/LEGO Movie, etc

I'd love to see it, and I think this is key.  Star Trek has few compelling ships that work at minifig scale while SW has all kinds of fighters, planetary vehicles, etc..  For Star Trek they'd need to do things that were more like the SSD or Death Star play sets, or a line of Start Trek UCS ships.  I think that along with a robust line of minifigs (either CMF style or battle-packs maybe with a bunch of characters and small builds from the different series) would be wonderful, would manage fan expectations, and would sell quite well!

I've seen some really beautiful MOCs based on Star Trek over the years and with over half a century of material to draw from there's certainly no shortage of ships, settings, props or characters that could be realized as kits.  As a theme, it has a global following that spans generations and would no doubt attract consumers across multiple countries, age groups and demographics.  Even Star Trek fans who aren't AFOLs would queue up to get decent UCS models of iconic ships.

That said, however, there's a difference between _should_ TLG make Star Trek sets and _could_ they (legally speaking).  I don't know the details of the current licensing with Disney, but it is entirely possible that that the agreement that allows them to make Star Wars sets forbids them from making fantasy space sets based on other/non-Disney intellectual properties.  Likewise, the license to make Star Trek construction toys may be exclusive and still held by some other company (Mega blocs, Hasbro, Mattel, whomever).  It may even be the case that the studio contracts with the actors did not explicitly include clauses for use of their images for construction toys (action figures are usually negotiated separately) or continued use of their likenesses beyond the actor's lifetime, so getting permission to mass produce, say, a Mr. Spock minifigure might involve direct negotiations with Leonard Nimoy's estate.  

George Lucas was very forward thinking when he got his original cast to sign away so many merchandising rights regarding the use of their likenesses.  For those who weren't around in 1977, the merchandising of the original Star Wars was really revolutionary.  Certainly it wasn't the first to have lunch boxes, vehicles or action figures, but Star Wars too it to an all new level (lightsabre dog chew toys, Death Star soap on a rope, C-3PO bubble bath, Darth Vader votive candle holder - I kid you not, I actually owned one of those (it was a gift)) an entire aisle of Kenner action figures at TRU was only the beginning.  The market (and legal paperwork) was so primed by the time Lego Star Wars came out I think the only question that needed to be settled was how many non-minifigure parts needed to be in a kit to ensure that the included minifigures qualified as a "construction toy" rather than an "action figure" (a license already held by another company).  I don't know that Star Trek (particularly the earlier series in the franchise) has that same sort of foundation to build from and might have more legal and financial roadblocks to overcome.

I'd love to get a line of UCS models of various Star Trek ships, but I don't expect to ever actually see one.

17 hours ago, Jimalaya said:

Lego does Star Wars but they should they also do Star Trek which has been popular for many people in this whole world too.

It may be popular, but Star Trek frankly is a mess, given how it's currently being handled. That has always kind of been the problem with it, anyway. The IP is spread across so many publishers, TV stations and streaming services, it would be nearly impossible to produce a consistent toy line due to everyone having a piece of the cake and trying to retain their exclusive rights. Currently it's also still in the hands of Oxford and Mega as far as brick-based toys are concerned, so I'm not sure if there is even a chance for LEGO to snatch up a license nor whether they would actually be willing, given the circumstances. I also tend to think it would also be quite an investment from a technical side, as LEGO would have to produce a bunch of new pieces to capture those sleek shapes a lot of Trek vessels have. It's almost funny that some old Mega slopes are more suitable for this than anything LEGO currently has. So personally I don't think it will ever happen. If it does, I would be more than happy, assuming it isn't a half-assed effort to just cash in with some crude simplified sets and a minifigure series...

Mylenium

I wouldn’t really be interested in any starship models... but a mining scale TOS Enterprise bridge set would be awesome! If it was decently sized.

I would be all over a set of the Enterprise-D bridge or of Deep Space Nine.

The more kid-friendly shows are probably not popular enough anymore for TLG to think it's worthwhile to produce it as a theme. I could definitely see a Star Trek set come out in the Ideas line. Sadly, it's one of the IPs that aren't allowed due to License Conflict.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:10 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

For those who weren't around in 1977, the merchandising of the original Star Wars was really revolutionary.  Certainly it wasn't the first to have lunch boxes, vehicles or action figures, but Star Wars took it to an all new level (lightsabre dog chew toys, Death Star soap on a rope, C-3PO bubble bath, Darth Vader votive candle holder - I kid you not, I actually owned one of those (it was a gift)) an entire aisle of Kenner action figures at TRU was only the beginning. 

Yeah its kind of nauseating how much junk they've made. Those are some bizarre and completely unnecessary products. Really paved the way for merchandising absurdity.

47 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah its kind of nauseating how much junk they've made. Those are some bizarre and completely unnecessary products. Really paved the way for merchandising absurdity.

I had an R2-D2 soap (but not on a rope). I loved it as a kid. No doubt some of the merchandising was bizarre and unnecessary but it was very experimental. They couldn't have known what would take off without trying.

This has to be one of the weirdest I have ever seen, but this is worth a lot these days.

Star-Wars-C-3PO-Tape-Dispenser.jpg