hallidaynick

MOC - SQDY Wagons

I've recently finished 3 new SQDY wagons, These wagons in real life were built in america and used in Australia, The Lego models are a scale model, with the decals representing actual wagon numbers. The real life wagons have an interesting history with one of them failing in the middle of the wagon while in use resulting in the two shipping containers touching at the top as the base of the wagon split, as a little easter egg i used the same wagon number for one of my 3, (i just hope it doesn't break also).

Wagon Close Ups

Decal View3 Wagons Together

There are a number more images on my Flickr

Let me know what you think, if there are any improvements i could make. 

Edited by hallidaynick

Had a look at the report of that incident. Looks like bad design and sloppy construction... Hope your model does not represent that ;-)

On 9/25/2020 at 12:03 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Nice work! You should show a few more photos in the initial post. Are you going to add containers next?

Ill update with a couple more, I have containers ready to go i just need to work up some decals and ill get some photos with them on the wagons. 

On 9/27/2020 at 8:04 PM, Duq said:

Had a look at the report of that incident. Looks like bad design and sloppy construction... Hope your model does not represent that ;-)

Yes bad construction seemed to be the downfall, These ended up very strong for the amount of bricks in them, I was surprised. 

41 minutes ago, Man with a hat said:

Nice ones. 7-wide I see. Are you going to build some 7-wide containers as well or keep them 6-wide?

Yes, it turned out to be my first 7 stud wide wagons, most are 8 that i build.

I'm going to stick with 6 studs for the containers, by scale they are a little closer to 7 than 6 but 6 seem to work well for the designs. 7 would make them harder to get symmetrical.

What do you think? Would you go 7?