Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[Sep FB2] Royal Artillery Depot, Port Raleigh

After a long building process beginning back in November 619, Corlander authorities have officially declared operational the Royal Artillery Depot in Port Raleigh.

Corlander colonies in the new world do not yet have the ability to cast cannon barrels on the large scale that has become required in the colonies. As such, the requirement for a depot was identified by the army. The depot would be required to serve as an assembly and storage point for artillery arriving from the old world, as well as a repair and maintenance facility. Port Raleigh was selected for the initial depot, a selection based on the colony's strategic position and closest point for vessels arriving from the mainland.

Firstly, the depot must be equipped with sufficient pier space to accommodate several supply vessels at once. A large warehouse was also required, with floor space for assembly and maintenance of artillery pieces sheltered from the weather and sufficient office space for administrative tasks.

50374817232_60f31c1edb_b.jpg

A whole company of infantry are assigned guard duty to make sure the depot is secure.

50370394993_ac6e3afb58_z.jpg

Goods arriving can be temporarily stored on the wharf. Royal Artillery Corps soldiers inspect a recently arrived shipment of two 24 pound cannons waiting for assembly. Nearby a pallet of gunpowder barrels waits to be transported to a nearby facility. An Artillery Corps officer watches from the open warehouse doors.

50370394323_3c1609565c_c.jpg

Six 12 pound field cannons have recently been assembled and await transport to the nearby range for test firing.

50374632901_37ec5ff85c_z.jpg

The guns are pulled by a team of two horses to the range. Additional horses rest behind the depot and a guard stands duty on the entrance.

50370394963_9b70ef4a9d_c.jpg

An additional soldier hitches a ride on the back of the caisson.

50374583766_2f6971e7ab_c.jpg

and finally the guns are test fired to check the barrels are sound and the limber has been correctly assembled.

50364099868_1d35c6d9e1_z.jpg

Based on the European Commercial Port from Empire Total War - including the weird colour scheme only possible in digital. I built this while I was away at sea last year. I have a small stockpile of mostly finished digital builds from that period; however, I haven't really been very motivated to finish them (it's hard to work in digital when my real bricks are calling!).

Digital footprint is roughly 11 660 (I didn't count the overhang on the wharf slopes or empty 'water' space), so size wise it should qualify as a 'Royal' sized property. To be licensed by Port Raleigh as an artisan.

Nice build, as usual, and good job with the gun carriage. The vignette looks very good too.

Nice and large: some details but mainly just build to be big I think, which is a good thing :pir-thumb: I like bigger builds much more.

Although, I really like your real-life builds much more :pir-look:

Love that rack of rifles we get a glimpse of through the doors. :pir-grin:  A really cool depot, great texture on the wall and nice colors too (and the shutters are awesome!).

By the way, a bit of post-processing on a render can help just like it helps on a real picture.  Your colors in real bricks pop nicely; I think a bit more exposure/contrast, maybe some color tone adjustment, would help with that on the render as well.  Sometimes you can make it look real (haven't figured out the exact formula, some colors seem easier than others).  I would say a lightly grey background helps with the realism too, but you get such perfectly white backgrounds on your real ones - I don't know how you manage!

Another gorgeous build/render! I like the light grey accents between the different floors of the building.

The cannon and accompanying men look great, too! That's one pretty cannon design!

Wow, this is fantastic! I especially admire the docks and the creative construction of the supplies. Definitely would be gorgeous in actual brick. We really do need to get those masonry bricks in more colors! Fantastic build, as always, your landscaping and minifigures are such a pleasant sight! :thumbup:

Well, this turned out amazing! Absolutely fantastic build, and I love the use of LDD for something that isn't a royal residence. 

Another gorgeous build, Ayrlego - the wall texture is spot-on and the roofs, though simple, are just plain epic! :excited:  Those bands of light grey half-rounded tiles and the layout are great as well, and that's a really nice cannon design :thumbup:  And though a small detail, the stone knobs on the corners are really the icing on the cake for me - they give the whole scene an undeniable feeling of elegance.  Excellent stuff, mate!