Sign in to follow this  
Naixin

Best UCS-scaled Razor Crest?

I’m trying to decide which Razor Crest MOC to get. It’s between papaglop and richboyjhae. They’re both amazing and I really want both, but i can only start with one. Anyways, some questions
1) which one is closer to minifigure scale?
2) which one has proportions closer to the actual ship?
3) which one is sturdier?
4) is there a chance that LEGO will ever release an official UCS Razor Crest?

16 minutes ago, Naixin said:
4) is there a chance that LEGO will ever release an official UCS Razor Crest?

Not a chance ever.

1 hour ago, Anio said:

Not a chance ever.

Let's just hope things will change...

I would probably go with papaglops because his cockpit design is really done well and I like how modular it is even more. However, there are quite a few parts that are very rare so you have the disadvantage of paying extreme prices for a petty few parts or at worst, have those parts run out. Jhaes design is really good too and I think he was able to get the shaping much better and smoother than papaglops. No idea if it has rare parts so that'll be a risk for you to take. Or you can ask him if there are any rare parts. 

1) Both are pretty close to minifig scale. 2) I think papaglops engine design looks more proportional, but I think Jhaes fuselage looks alittle more proportionally accurate. 3) From the video reviews of both, papaglops design looks more sturdy. 4) Questions like that have only one answer (until it actually releases or TLC goes out-of-business). Maybe. No one but LEGO can give you the first yes or no answer. 

3 hours ago, Evergreen said:

I would probably go with papaglops because his cockpit design is really done well and I like how modular it is even more. However, there are quite a few parts that are very rare so you have the disadvantage of paying extreme prices for a petty few parts or at worst, have those parts run out. Jhaes design is really good too and I think he was able to get the shaping much better and smoother than papaglops. No idea if it has rare parts so that'll be a risk for you to take. Or you can ask him if there are any rare parts. 

1) Both are pretty close to minifig scale. 2) I think papaglops engine design looks more proportional, but I think Jhaes fuselage looks alittle more proportionally accurate. 3) From the video reviews of both, papaglops design looks more sturdy. 4) Questions like that have only one answer (until it actually releases or TLC goes out-of-business). Maybe. No one but LEGO can give you the first yes or no answer. 

Thanks for the answer. I do like how papaglop’s cockpit is closed glass. However I think jhae’s has the curve/shape closer to the original. Such hard choices....

https://imgur.com/a/OWspASr

Edited by Naixin

9 hours ago, Csaba said:

Some of the pieces for this are ~$40 on the secondary market now due to the popularity of the MOC and the scarcity of the pieces.

Even more than 40 in some cases. But this is the best model. 

Based on the shape, the proportions and the level of detail of the interior, I would most likely go with papaglop's version of the Razor Crest, if it is to be a UCS style model that is also in the minifigure scale. To be honest, the only part missing, because of the massive drive, is the rescue capsule, the end of the second ladder, which he wasn't sure where it would lead to at the beginning.

Since I don't have room for such large models myself, I will probably do without a UCS, or UCS-like version in my showcase. 

Edited by NerdYoda

13 hours ago, Csaba said:

Some of the pieces for this are ~$40 on the secondary market now due to the popularity of the MOC and the scarcity of the pieces.

Yes, but he was looking for an UCS one and hesitating between papaglop and richboyjhae anyway...

Considering his criteria, it's worth it

4 hours ago, NerdYoda said:

Based on the shape, the proportions and the level of detail of the interior, I would most likely go with papaglop's version of the Razor Crest, if it is to be a UCS style model that is also in the minifigure scale. To be honest, the only part missing, because of the massive drive, is the rescue capsule, the end of the second ladder, which he wasn't sure where it would lead to at the beginning.

Since I don't have room for such large models myself, I will probably do without a UCS, or UCS-like version in my showcase. 

I think the proportions for papaglops version is really good except for the cockpit. IMO it’s too round and doesn’t have that triangle curve seen in the TV show and richboyjhae’s version.

i wish there was a way to have papaglop’s body but jhae’s cockpit....

On 9/23/2020 at 11:24 AM, Naixin said:

I think the proportions for papaglops version is really good except for the cockpit. IMO it’s too round and doesn’t have that triangle curve seen in the TV show and richboyjhae’s version.

i wish there was a way to have papaglop’s body but jhae’s cockpit....

I prefer it the other way round. Jhae's cockpit is probably more accurate but, I don't like the fact that it isn't properly enclosed. Conversely, I think that Jhae's engines look better.

Has anyone tried a hybrid of the two ships?

Edited by Csaba

Hi :)
I have to admin that Richboyjhae has some amazing exterior details. And his reactors are a bit more accurate than mine.
However the big difference is the interior, my version is bigger and much more detailed and accurate inside.

As for the rare pieces,
I just release version 2.5 that uses 8 times the  87559 instead of 16. Which brings the price down a bit.
It also adds details both inside and outside the build.
This version is not on Rebrickable as of yet. But you can get directly with me or when you buy the full set from here.

And I provide free upgrades to newer versions and free addons like this one.