Cylo

[MOC] Umbaran Starfighter minifigure scale

Hi everyone! 

After 15+ hours, it's finally finished! I'm quite happy with the end results however there are some small bits I'm not quite satisfied with yet. The angled wings were quite a challenge as well as the top but I think I managed to do those decently. Hope you all like it!

Part count is 1002

Umbaran StarfighterUmbaran StarfighterUmbaran StarfighterUmbaran StarfighterUmbaran StarfighterUmbaran StarfighterUmbaran Starfighter

Umbaran StarfighterUmbaran Starfighter

Comments and criticism are welcome!

Edited by Cylo

That's a well shaped, convincing rendition of one of the least Star Warsy spaceships in the whole canon!  How well do you think it'll hold up in real parts? Do you think it's sturdy or fragile?

11 minutes ago, icm said:

That's a well shaped, convincing rendition of one of the least Star Warsy spaceships in the whole canon!  How well do you think it'll hold up in real parts? Do you think it's sturdy or fragile?

Thank you! I plan to build it soon, and I'd make a stand since I wouldn't want to stand the model on the wings.

Wow! I wouldn't expect this ship to translate too well to LEGO given its bizarre shape, but you've nailed it.

It has been a while since I watched this arc of TCW but it does look on the large side (not that that's a criticism at all, merely an observation!). What scale roughly is this?

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

17 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Wow! I wouldn't expect this ship to translate too well to LEGO given it's bizarre shape, but you've nailed it.

It has been a while since I watched this arc of TCW but it does look on the large side (not that that's a criticism at all, merely an observation!). What scale roughly is this?

Thanks! This is supposed to be minifigure scale.

Wow - given the crazy geometry of that ship, I think you've done a wonderful job capturing it!  Good luck with the IRL build - looking forward to seeing it on display in real bricks.  :classic:

7 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

It has been a while since I watched this arc of TCW but it does look on the large side (not that that's a criticism at all, merely an observation!).

Watch the arc again, it's great!

This model is amazing. It feels almost like a UCS ship, I love it. Honestly I didn't think it was possible to make this in lego with any real accuracy, clearly I was wrong! One minor thing, I think they're supposed to be more of a brown or nougat color with yellow markings.

8 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Fantastic build!

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Looks awesome, I'd love to see it in real bricks - gonna need a decent stand though to do it justice.

Thanks! Will have a stand

4 hours ago, deraven said:

Wow - given the crazy geometry of that ship, I think you've done a wonderful job capturing it!  Good luck with the IRL build - looking forward to seeing it on display in real bricks.  :classic:

Thank you!!

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Watch the arc again, it's great!

This model is amazing. It feels almost like a UCS ship, I love it. Honestly I didn't think it was possible to make this in lego with any real accuracy, clearly I was wrong! One minor thing, I think they're supposed to be more of a brown or nougat color with yellow markings.

Thanks! Regarding the colour, I have seen the ship in light bluish gray, plus gray is a much more accessible colour compared to brown and nougat and I won't have to worry about a part not coming in a specific colour. 

3 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Stunning build. And with all those 1x plates it looks sturdy enough for some swooshing.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Ignatius666 said:

This is great work!

I build Legos for years, but I always struggle with sleek and rounded outlines, and man, you nailed it!

Thanks!

This is super cool.  A while back I was trying to make the Orville, but I could not figure out how to do the engines because they curve in all three directions.  This was masterfully done, and if I ever go back to trying to make that ship, I will have to try out this technique!

UPDATE
Finally got a chance to build it in real bricks! Am super glad the wings actually managed to hold together. Next step will be to refine the design a bit and maybe try to reinforce the structure.
Sorry for the bad photo quality, barely fits in the lightbox :look:

Umbaran Starfighter Update

Looks fantastic - getting the measurements right must have been a pain! To reinforce structure in the wings, maybe you could use some technic beams (like in the middle wing of the UCS imperial shuttle)?

That looks great! I only recently got around to watching the Umbara arc just before canceling Disney+ and your model is instantly recognizable! That's a difficult shape to pull off, but you've done it well. :thumbup:

8 hours ago, MAVERICK26 said:

It looks great - does the stand actually connect to the starfighter?

Yes it does. Currently there is actually no way to put the ship down without having the stand.

5 hours ago, TheAbsoluteSt81 said:

Looks fantastic - getting the measurements right must have been a pain! To reinforce structure in the wings, maybe you could use some technic beams (like in the middle wing of the UCS imperial shuttle)?

Thanks! I have bricks running in 2 directions for the most of the wings, but a small part which is only built in one way is the weakest point. 

4 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That looks great! I only recently got around to watching the Umbara arc just before canceling Disney+ and your model is instantly recognizable! That's a difficult shape to pull off, but you've done it well. :thumbup:

Thank you!