Huigberts Builds

Lego a Christmas Carol

It appears we're getting a Lego Christmas Carol set with set number 40410. An image has been leaked on Instagram by a very reliable source.

The set is shaped like a closed book, with the spine having a sticker saying "***A Christmas Carol*** -Charles Dickens-" and some decorative stickers as well. With on top a small build of Bob Cratchet's home. With an open fire, stickered painting and stickered brick detailing on the sand green walls and wooden floor to give the impression of the state of the house being somewhat old. There's also a small window for Scrooge to look through from the snowy street.

The figures included are:

Scrooge in his suit with top hat and a new face print with side burns and glasses. He also has a black umbrella.

Bob Cratchet with what I think is a new torso print and the Peter Venkman hair piece. 

Tiny Tim with a red scarf who appears to be reusing the brown Ron Weasley sweater torso.

All figures are flesh coloured, so no yellow figures.

The set looks like a very fun little christmas themed set. It's a very iconic scène from the end of the story. However the lack of Christmas ghosts is noticeable so is the choice to put Scrooge in his suit rather than the pyjamas he weirs for most of the story (the scene could've been based around the ghost of Christmas present instead, but that would've required new molds).

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Edited by Huigberts Builds

Just saw the picture on IG, very surprised but i looks like a lovely set. Wonderful fireplace, and more books and book themed builds are always a good thing in my opinion. 

We're sure getting a lot of holiday cheer from Lego this year. Probably exactly what 2020 needs, thought. 

14 minutes ago, FrkW said:

We're sure getting a lot of holiday cheer from Lego this year. Probably exactly what 2020 needs, thought. 

Now you mention it there is indeed a lot of holiday stuff from Lego this year, and they all look great as well. Couldn't agree more, exactly what we need right now.

On a side note, is this the first time we get a set based on a "modern book"? I mean Harry Potter is of course based on the movie and the red riding hood and jack and the beanstalk are ofcourse very old fairytales. I hope we'll see more like this in the future. Just think of all the possibilities.:excited:

10 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

On a side note, is this the first time we get a set based on a "modern book"?

Well, there was the H.C. Andersen sets, which I think sold pretty well. So if this does well too - and I can't imagine it won't - hopefully we'll se a lot more. I love the idea of having a few sets like it scattered around my bookshelves, and it would be lovely in a childs bedroom, or classrooms. 

I really like the concept. Imagine how cool it'll be if it can actually open. :wink:

Edited by JintaiZ

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

I wonder how this compares to the future Potter sets. 

Probably not very similar, the HP books open up and this just takes place on top of a book. Nice looking set though.

I really like this set.  Curious what the buy in to get the GWP will be.  At first glance I thought it was HP.  I've got a bunch of big sets on my wishlist currently.  Here's hoping they are still in stock when this set becomes available.

10 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

However the lack of Christmas ghosts is noticeable so is the choice to put Scrooge in his suit rather than the pyjamas he weirs for most of the story (the scene could've been based around the ghost of Christmas present instead, but that would've required new molds). 

What kind of molds? It's supposed to be based on a book, not any specific adaptation. I doubt the figures we're getting are anything more than designer's interpretation, and so would be the ghosts.

I have no issue with them using the happy & hopeful finale type scene for this set.  If they went with the ghosts people would complain about which one of the three scenes they chose to depict.  I think this is definitely more in keeping with the general feel good, uplifting vibe most want in a holiday set.  While the ghosts would be interesting it would be kind of creepy as a one off holiday gift.

Edited by karrit

2 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

What kind of molds? It's supposed to be based on a book, not any specific adaptation. I doubt the figures we're getting are anything more than designer's interpretation, and so would be the ghosts.

There are no ghosts in the set. The illustrations in the book, or at the versions I know of, depicts scrooge in his pyjama with a night cap. Which isn't currently an existing piece. So I thought it makes sense they picked the easy to make yet still iconic version with a top hat rather than reusing pieces to make a version that kinda misses the mark.

6 minutes ago, karrit said:

I have no issue with them using the happy & hopeful finale type scene for this set.  If they went with the ghosts people would complain about which one of the three scenes they chose to depict.  I think this is definitely more in keeping with the general feel good, uplifting vibe most want in a holiday set.  While the ghosts would be interesting it would be kind of creepy as a one off holiday gift.

Yeah that's fair.

:wub:

They are going big this holiday season huh?

LOVE the set! I wish it had the ghosts tho. At least Marley's 

Is the Scrooge face print new?

6 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

There are no ghosts in the set. The illustrations in the book, or at the versions I know of, depicts scrooge in his pyjama with a night cap. Which isn't currently an existing piece. So I thought it makes sense they picked the easy to make yet still iconic version with a top hat rather than reusing pieces to make a version that kinda misses the mark.

Somehow I understood a ghost would need a new mold :head_back: Yeah, a night cap is tricky, although I reckon it's not the only reason the ending scene was chosen. @Karrit nails the reasoning behind this decision, I'd also add it's just easier to make relatively simple minifigs of a boy, his father and an old man in vintage clothes.

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Is the Scrooge face print new?

I'm pretty sure it is. Never have seen it before in any other licenced sets.

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

LOVE the set! I wish it had the ghosts tho. At least Marley's 

At least we still have your advent calendar to get a taste of what the ghosts could've looked like (well except for Marley) xD

19 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

Is using the Bill Murray likeness a tie in with his Scrooged movie?

Do you mean for the Bob Cratchit minifigure? It looks similar to the 1982 animation version of him.

2 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I'm quite dissapointed it's a qwp set. Especially as I already made all my big purchases for the year. Oh well. Hopefully the resellers are nice.

Come off it, the set is about Scrooge!

56 minutes ago, MAB said:

Come off it, the set is about Scrooge!

Yeah... Should've known better. If only the Christmas ghosts were included to change their minds :tongue:

I'm trying to plan my Lego Christmas shopping and was wondering, does anyone have any information on when this set will be available? 

11 hours ago, NathanR said:

I'm trying to plan my Lego Christmas shopping and was wondering, does anyone have any information on when this set will be available? 

They did 2 big holiday GWP's last year.  The first one was the large tree that was released to VIP's the weekend before Black Friday and Nov 29 to everyone with a minimum $120 purchase.  The second was the small version of the Gingerbread House that was released December 6 and required a minimum $99 purchase.  Early in November they offered the re-issued Creator Reindeer polybag with minimum $35 purchase.  The store calendar for November this year doesn't show any holiday GWP's and only mentions the Black Friday sales starting on November 27.  The catalog they just sent out indicates the sale will start for VIP's the weekend before Black Friday again.  We don't know yet if the Christmas Carol set will be offered for Black Friday or not until December and no idea what the minimum spend is yet.  The way GWP's have been going lately they seem to be gone within 1-3 days of release at least here in the U.S.  I've got a bunch of sets on my wishlist so I'm hoping something at the right price is in stock available to buy whenever the GWP is offered.

@karrit Thanks for the detailed information! I'm wanting to get the elf clubhouse and a few of the smaller sets like the wreath, but I'm holding off until I can be sure of getting the Christmas Carol set as well - that's one set I'd be quite happy paying for, rather than going through the hassle of trying to get it as a freebie.

Edit: Brickfinder.net has just posted a store calendar for November. Offer will be valid from 20 November to 6 December, with $180 (Singapore dollars) spend. So probable;y the usual £100 or 100 USD spend.

http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/10/31/bricks-world-lcs-november-2020-promotions/

Edited by NathanR

18 minutes ago, NathanR said:

@karrit Thanks for the detailed information! I'm wanting to get the elf clubhouse and a few of the smaller sets like the wreath, but I'm holding off until I can be sure of getting the Christmas Carol set as well - that's one set I'd be quite happy paying for, rather than going through the hassle of trying to get it as a freebie.

Both the Clubhouse & Wreath are currently on Backorder here in the US so if you want them this year I wouldn't wait around on the holiday GWP's as they will probably be out of stock by then.  Clubhouse is showing estimated 60 day backorder which means probably not by Christmas & the Wreath is mid November estimated ship date.  The Winter Snowball Set and last year's Gingerbread House are already out of stock.

Just checked on CZ/SK lego page, and almost all seasonal sets are out of stock. Do we know about any others christmas gwp? Last year I managed to order a batmobile with small batmobile gwp and tree gwp on 1st december, and later an apollo with gingerbread house. I still hope that they release a batwing gwp for similar purchase. Otherwise it is pass for me, batwing just not feel like "must have", either christmas carol gwp (it looks great, just it is not so traditional story here).