TechnicBrickPower

3 speed automatic gearbox fail. Do you have a solution?

This video presents a 3 speed automatic gearbox design that failed to work as expected. This design is based on an earlier design of a 2 speed smoothly switching automatic gearbox that worked very well. That gearbox was extended by adding another speed to the rotary catch selector however something happened I didn't expect. :pir-bawling:

I experienced this issue in my Dual Diagonal Drive build where I wanted to switch gears while driving. Even with gearing up the gearbox the torque was enough to have the driving ring clamp itself to the engaged clutch gear.

One thing I noticed: This connector will rub against the 20t gear. You could use 2 3l thin levers instead.

Screenshot%202020-09-18%20101027.png

I think the only way to overcome this is to introduce a clutch (without the use of driving rings), which temporarily disengages the motor during shifts. However, in an automatic setup like this, temporarily interrupting torque will cancel the shift immediately. 

Even a couple of mm of slippery will cause problems, a we can see what happens at the left of the orange clutch switch gear... I would try to lock the entire gearbox in more tight by adding 15 length beams on top, and bottom

Edited by GoldVillage