amorti

Brunojj1's mind-opener - red supercar - free instructions now available for static version

@amorti jaja just let me enjoy this moment a bit, where I have the fastest Pista...... :grin:

Haha just making fun here... and no need to pitch the dark side to me, you know I have nothing against it; it's just that.... I already have soooo many Lego motors, any more and the missus will start asking difficult questions! :laugh_hard:

Guys, thank you for the entertainment :thumbup::thumbup:

At the moment I´m running my car testwise on 4x old CaDA motors coupled 2 of each to a BuWizz 2.0. Gears are flipped behind the differential. I can tell you drifting on a polished granit floor is fun at least :excited:! However, if I find some time, I can imagine going next level with 2x RC motors I have lying around useless for years and add a simple but efficient 2 speed gearbox.

Btw. CaDA is considering to make a similar device as well.

Edited by brunojj1

@brunojj1 Regarding the 2-speed gearbox, were you thinking of selecting among the 2 outputs, like below? (This is an idea I picked up from Sariel's book.)

640x395.png

If so, then be warned of this issue: the driving ring 85x85p.jpg will be pushed out of either red or blue gear, due to the force and speed of the RC motors. The wave selector 85x85p.jpg won't help. What does work is holding the driving ring in place with a changeover catch 85x85p.jpg and a worm gear. For full details you can check out this creation:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-50941/astyanax/koncept-essence-extreme-edition/

@astyanax Thank you! I know all of Sariel´s gearboxes, though having the attitude to bring something new myself. :wink:  But you have caught me on the new differential, of which I have seen a similar one in CaDA´s new bricked Humvee btw.. Playing with differentials within gearboxes can bring a lot of fun sometimes.

A bit different question to @brunojj1,now that you are working for Cada how does it feel like compared to how it has been the case with the C61042? I guess for the ferrari Pista (or Italian Supercar) you did not have to face any time limit or such. However, situation is, I guess, a bit different this time. Do you work solely or Cada gives you some err...creative input/direction? Are you enjoying working with them? We all hope to see another masterpiece from you soon. 

Edited by thekoRngear

9 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

A bit different question to @brunojj1,now that you are working for Cada how does it feel like compared to how it has been the case with the C61042? I guess for the ferrari Pista (or Italian Supercar) you did not have to face any time limit or such. However, situation is, I guess, a bit different this time. Do you work solely or Cada gives you some err...creative input/direction? Are you enjoying working with them? We all hope to see another masterpiece from you soon. 

I was under the assumption that it's just a single-set contract

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I was under the assumption that it's just a single-set contract

Bruno's dropped some hints in the thread, that there's another set on its way. 

I've also been reading on the alt-bricks board that CaDA has been quietly updating the moulds of some pieces, particularly those loose axle connectors. 

Potentially good news all round!

2 hours ago, amorti said:

Bruno's dropped some hints in the thread, that there's another set on its way. 

I've also been reading on the alt-bricks board that CaDA has been quietly updating the moulds of some pieces, particularly those loose axle connectors. 

Potentially good news all round!

My copy of the supercar only had one faulty #3 connector, and generally all parts fit well, not as consistent as TLG, but a lot better than on Sariel's review. Additionally, no differential grinding problem (although haven't done the crazy 4L motor mod), all gears rotated very freely except the 12T half gears inside the diff, which were a bit stiff. So it is very likely that they have updated some moulds, which is fantastic! 

Also the new tank from them has a micromotor in a 2x3 brick format with a bush-type axlehole at the end :pir-love: (here's their presentation video for it)

-----------------------

The supercar in itself was a beauty, though my desire to reuse the parts and lack of display space for a 1;8 model have won over :laugh: Looking forward to future sets like this!

Edited by syclone

I'm considering buying this model. What I'm looking for in a model is the combination of a nice design with interesting mechanisms (e.g. the Sian's gearbox). My question is, how interesting is it to build the static model in terms of mechanisms?

57 minutes ago, Lee245 said:

I'm considering buying this model. What I'm looking for in a model is the combination of a nice design with interesting mechanisms (e.g. the Sian's gearbox). My question is, how interesting is it to build the static model in terms of mechanisms?

I haven't built the static, but the motor version.

I think you'd lose quite a lot with the static version, because the gear stepper mechanism and attached shift paddles won't work which is a real highlight of the model. Also the gearbox becomes another display piece like the Sian but the fact of it being basically a pair of identical gearboxes to handle the two powerful motors become redundant. It's so much more interesting when a car moves itself. Without motors, it's more or less "just another" 1:8 car.

I usually can't stand big cars because of all the boring work of putting panels together at funny angles with tenuous connections, but this car turned my preconception on its head. The doors are a masterpiece of clever angles, yet they're also truly stable. There are examples like that all around the car.

Buy it! You won't regret. If you have the extra 40€ or so spare, I'd say to get the motorised version. Even if you only drive it along the living room and shift through the gearbox once before putting it in the display cabinet, it was worth those 40€. 

Edited by amorti

3 hours ago, amorti said:

I think this happened already - in the beginning of the year I got C61016 (Porsche 919 hybrid) and C61041W (Lamborghini Centenario) and the clutch of most of bricks was too tight, some not enough, and the CaDa version of part 6536 (Technic Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular) was a total disaster. Recently I got C61051W (Claas Scorpion) and C61042W (Pista) and the quality of parts is much better. Clutch is not that tight anymore (easier to build), I encountered in total 2 axles that were too loose (but without consequence to the build) and a few (8 or so) friction pins that acted more like frictionless (but there was a lot of spares to replace them if needed).

1 minute ago, andrzejl said:

I think this happened already - in the beginning of the year I got C61016 (Porsche 919 hybrid) and C61041W (Lamborghini Centenario) and the clutch of most of bricks was too tight, some not enough, and the CaDa version of part 6536 (Technic Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular) was a total disaster. Recently I got C61051W (Claas Scorpion) and C61042W (Pista) and the quality of parts is much better. Clutch is not that tight anymore (easier to build), I encountered in total 2 axles that were too loose (but without consequence to the build) and a few (8 or so) friction pins that acted more like frictionless (but there was a lot of spares to replace them if needed).

Then it sounds very likely you're right.

I've actually been using CaDA friction pins as steering bearings on RC motorcycles, because they have nearly no friction but much less play then Lego non-friction pins or axles.

7 hours ago, Lee245 said:

I also picked up the motorized version, because TLG already have good static supercars but no motorized ones. This model's static version, even if it is extremely well done, is more "redundant" than the RC version, which is a perfect opportunity to dive into the motorized world with confidence (MOCs are not always ideal on this side) : its qualities has been confirmed by many users here and its price tag makes it even better.

Edited by Celeri

15 hours ago, syclone said:

My copy of the supercar only had one faulty #3 connector, and generally all parts fit well, not as consistent as TLG, but a lot better than on Sariel's review. Additionally, no differential grinding problem (although haven't done the crazy 4L motor mod), all gears rotated very freely except the 12T half gears inside the diff, which were a bit stiff. So it is very likely that they have updated some moulds, which is fantastic! 

Also the new tank from them has a micromotor in a 2x3 brick format with a bush-type axlehole at the end :pir-love: (here's their presentation video for it)

-----------------------

The supercar in itself was a beauty, though my desire to reuse the parts and lack of display space for a 1;8 model have won over :laugh: Looking forward to future sets like this!

Sheesh! A micromotor! They really do want to compete!

6 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Sheesh! A micromotor! They really do want to compete!

China bricks are definitely no longer just copycats!

CaDA has Micromotors.

MouldKing has a 6-port PF box with lipo battery, Bluetooth, and proportional remote control. Their servos also start to have proportional control, some two positions each side of zero, some 5 each side.

On 5/26/2021 at 7:42 AM, amorti said:

China bricks are definitely no longer just copycats!

That is very true. And it will be even more challenging for TLG, when they go further into electronics.

Best
Thorsten

I am just coming to the end of building this Static model and even after fitting the doors I didn't realise the open/closing mechanism worked.

Hats off to Bruno, thoroughly enjoyable build, couple of damaged parts apparently on their way from China but bought Lego pieces from Ebay so I could continue.

Slightly disappointed that gearchange doesn't follow through to paddle shifters like the Lego Sian but hey ho.

Biggest criticism is axle joints and loose fit sorted with pliers which shouldn't be necessary.

1 hour ago, williamyzfr1 said:

Slightly disappointed that gearchange doesn't follow through to paddle shifters like the Lego Sian but hey ho.

Have a browse through the thread, I think someone posted a solution for this a while ago.

Thank you I will, though not understanding how a short of throw of the paddle shift can equate to a 45 degree shift change but I will read the thread.

Edited by williamyzfr1

My understanding is that, like in the motorized version, the solution will make the paddles move when changing gears, not the other way around :pir-huzzah2:

7 minutes ago, astyanax said:

My understanding is that, like in the motorized version, the solution will make the paddles move when changing gears, not the other way around :pir-huzzah2:

I'm busy getting the part together to build my CADA red supercar, but in LEGO parts I already own.

I hope to add working shifter paddles, but because of the dust involved when just organizing the parts let along building then modding it, I can't promise anything.

30 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Perhaps pretty pointless then.

1 hour ago, williamyzfr1 said:

couple of damaged parts apparently on their way from China but bought Lego pieces from Ebay so I could continue.

Just contact CaDA's customer service, they even shipped missing electronics to a guy on Facebook. 

In regards of gearbox, it will, in fact simply make the paddles move. But the model originally was RC, with paddles coupled to a servo, so there's that...

If you ever get a chance to motorise it, do so, lots of fun)))

23 minutes ago, syclone said:

Just contact CaDA's customer service, they even shipped missing electronics to a guy on Facebook. 

In regards of gearbox, it will, in fact simply make the paddles move. But the model originally was RC, with paddles coupled to a servo, so there's that...

If you ever get a chance to motorise it, do so, lots of fun)))

I have and they are on there way  but I have already replaced parts with Lego parts from Ebay.

Re Motorise perhaps that will be my next build..

Edited by williamyzfr1

Many thanks to Bruno for this model. It’s such a beauty and it was a highly enjoyable building process. 
I added some additional printed parts with a horse ^^ :) 

Next steps are chrome parts for the exhaust and I want to add disc breaks. 

Edited by Reeneman