amorti

Brunojj1's mind-opener - red supercar - free instructions now available for static version

2 hours ago, chlego said:

@astyanax Did you make this render?

It's just a screenshot from LDCad. Better than a pretty render -- or a photo -- for communication purposes, because here lighting is uniform and parts are clearly outlined.

Edited by astyanax

On 2/2/2021 at 10:13 AM, astyanax said:

It's just a screenshot from LDCad. Better than a pretty render -- or a photo -- for communication purposes, because here lighting is uniform and parts are clearly outlined.

@astyanax is this model published (the original build) anywhere? I'd love to use it for reference during the build.

21 hours ago, kbalage said:

@astyanax is this model published (the original build) anywhere? I'd love to use it for reference during the build.

No, just hacked the Chinese, easy.

640x360.jpg

=====

But we had a discussion about sharing building instructions or model many pages ago. At the time it was considered 'not done'. But now CaDA has published building instructions themselves. So one could reopen this discussion...

Anyhow, the virtual model I have now is not the "original build": it contains many tweaks to suit my idiosyncratic taste. These include 4x PF L motor drive, no LEDs, brick-built alternatives to stickers, and making many connections less wobbly or less illegal. Overall shaping has barely been affected though.

BTW I just finished my built -- finally! I'll post pics later today.

20210207_123145.jpg

What can I say that hasn't already been said? She's a stunner, period. :wub: And FAST! With 4x PF L motors, geared UP as suggested by @brunojj1 a couple pages back. Very dangerous to drive in the home...!

Built with 'real' Lego, except for the rims. As if anyone still cares though... :pir-sweet:

More photos in the spoiler:

Spoiler

20210207_123207.jpg

20210207_123036_HDR.jpg

20210207_123301.jpg

20210207_123342.jpg

20210207_123742_HDR.jpg

20210207_123934.jpg

20210207_123549_HDR.jpg

20210206_205231.jpg

4 PF L geared up sounds great! And all Lego :-)  I've started building and have replaced several gears so far with real Lego ones so they mesh smoothly. (Cada differential & tan gears were especially rough connection)

Assuming just 2 motors, and original gearing, would people recommend the supplied Cada motors, or MouldKing hyperspeed motors?

@astyanax great work! Very strange to see blue pins in this model!

I particularly like your solution in the headlights. Do you have any favourite mods?

Interesting that yours is 2.95kg. The CaDA model built per instructions is more like 2.6kg and only 2.7kg when I added a battery box and two more motors. Did you add *so* many greebles, or are Lego bricks just that much heavier? The Lego 13*3 curved panels for example, are definitely noticeably thicker plastic.

@J159753 the Hyperspeed motors have no chance to pull this model, not even if you put four of them in. They don't have enough torque. The only way to make those work would be to gear up as described in earlier pages, then back down using planetary hubs. Lot of trouble to go to, just to add a lot of friction.

I wonder now, what was clicking when I fitted the four CaDA motors. At the time I assumed it was something inside the gearbox, but it might well have been as minor as the CaDA differential and 20z tan gears. They aren't fully compatible with Lego, as noted at the top of the previous page. I saw a build video of the new CaDA 4x4 crawler, they've changed the 20z gear's design.

Anyway, having built the model twice already and now put the extra CaDA motors in something else, I'll probably never find out at this point.

Edited by amorti

On 2/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, astyanax said:

But we had a discussion about sharing building instructions or model many pages ago. At the time it was considered 'not done'. But now CaDA has published building instructions themselves. So one could reopen this discussion...

If somebody has no time / no brain to figure out how to substitute the motor placeholders by some motors, we can´t help them. We are here to work out and improve things to step up the game and not serve everything on the silver tablet to the lazy people.

@astyanax: Thank you again for sharing all your fun, it´s heartwarming at least for me! Your headlights look stellar, on the other hand it´s a pity they can´t be illuminated.

The comparison pics with the Sian are cool to see! If somebody is wondering how they are so different in size - the real cars have almost 40cm difference in length (!), resulting in 5cm difference scaled down. So everything is pretty much in 1/8 scale. I bring my chassis width down to 29 studs to keep proportions right btw.

Do you have a short video demonstrating the speed of the car? I´d be highly interested to see the performance you could achieve! 

57 minutes ago, amorti said:

Interesting that yours is 2.95kg. The CaDA model built per instructions is more like 2.6kg and only 2.7kg when I added a battery box and two more motors. Did you add *so* many greebles, or are Lego bricks just that much heavier? The Lego 13*3 curved panels for example, are definitely noticeably thicker plastic.

He has used 2x Buwizz units as far as I´m concerned, along with many system pieces to improve the looks. That explains to me the increased weight.

57 minutes ago, amorti said:

...the Hyperspeed motors have no chance to pull this model, not even if you put four of them in. They don't have enough torque. The only way to make those work would be to gear up as described in earlier pages, then back down using planetary hubs. Lot of trouble to go to, just to add a lot of friction.

I wonder now, what was clicking when I fitted the four CaDA motors. At the time I assumed it was something inside the gearbox, but it might well have been as minor as the CaDA differential and 20z tan gears. They aren't fully compatible with Lego, as noted at the top of the previous page. I saw a build video of the new CaDA 4x4 crawler, they've changed the 20z gear's design.

Anyway, having built the model twice already and now put the extra CaDA motors in something else, I'll probably never find out at this point.

After finishing my current (secret!) project in a few months, I´m planning to build my own ultimate version. Whether a Pista Piloti inspired version in blue or yellow Novitec-pimped evolution. Underneath 2x BuWizz and 4x CaDA motors geared up perfectly and get the max out of the car in fourth gear.

Edited by brunojj1

31 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Underneath 2x BuWizz and 4x CaDA motors geared up perfectly and get the max out of the car in fourth gear.

That's going to be quite a thing!

Even at 8.4v, those 4x CaDA motors can strain the gearbox. Should be better with a Lego differential, but there will definitely be stresses happening. I think at 3kg with 4x high power motors, you're now past what can be asked from ABS axles! If you do get clicking, I think the solution would be carbon or metal axles running through the gearbox,so the gears can't move apart from each other.

I'd be very interested in a video of it with those CaDA motors at 11.2v.

Also very interested in your next project. Are you allowed to disclose if it's something for CaDA? It's amazing what your work has done for their brand, I hope they show appropriate appreciation :)

Edited by amorti

Due to several requests in another forum here also my HOG mod for the static version (C61043W) as photo series. Please note that this mod requires additional parts as depicted. Steering wheel still fully working.

img_20210213_142121yrkz3.jpg

img_20210213_142413nekx4.jpg

img_20210213_1424339rjt1.jpg

img_20210213_1423496gkge.jpg

img_20210213_142131tmkkv.jpg

img_20210213_142140izjf6.jpg

img_20210213_1423370fk52.jpg

img_20210213_1423152hkg6.jpg

@gethemalooks good! Too bad CaDA didn't add this and your gear paddle mod when releasing a manual version.

@brunojj1 in fact I doubt a Buwizz will manage two of these motors at 11.2v. I didn't try it, but I do know it can't manage 2 X MouldKing high power L motors at ludicrous power. 9.2v should be ok, but I bet you'll be able to hit the thermal limit without too much trouble.

55 minutes ago, amorti said:

That's going to be quite a thing!

Even at 8.4v, those 4x CaDA motors can strain the gearbox. Should be better with a Lego differential, but there will definitely be stresses happening. I think at 3kg with 4x high power motors, you're now past what can be asked from ABS axles! If you do get clicking, I think the solution would be carbon or metal axles running through the gearbox,so the gears can't move apart from each other.

I'd be very interested in a video of it with those CaDA motors at 11.2v.

Also very interested in your next project. Are you allowed to disclose if it's something for CaDA? It's amazing what your work has done for their brand, I hope they show appropriate appreciation :)

You have experimented a lot, so I tend to believe what you say :wink: . Anyway, I will deduce my eperience from own experiments. Carbon axles + special fiberglass reinforced parts (which nobody else owns yet :tongue:) + metal u-joints and the best possible mix of gears available to reduce slack and friction will do the job. I´ll be testing both 2x BuWizz 2.0 and 2x CaDA batteries / 2x remotes coupled. Whether in ludicrous mode or not - it will be fast :excited: !

I´m not allowed and not willing to disclose anything from my current projects, so please be patient for the release which will be at some time this year hopefully and God willing we will stay alive all together.

48 minutes ago, gethema said:

Due to several requests in another forum here also my HOG mod for the static version (C61043W) as photo series. Please note that this mod requires additional parts as depicted. Steering wheel still fully working.

Thank you so much! It´s a valuable contribution along with your HOG shifter paddles activated in your previous post :thumbup:

Edited by brunojj1

@brunojj1 I eagerly await the moment for news, and hope the new project will be available from CaDA. New and exclusive Composite parts sounds exciting too!

There's definitely some parts which need to be made of better materials when you get to 1:8 RC models.

8 and 12 tooth gears, for example.

1 hour ago, brunojj1 said:

Thank you so much! It´s a valuable contribution along with your HOG shifter paddles activated in your previous post :thumbup:

@brunojj1 My pleasure, don't mention it! :classic: If anything, I should be thanking you for creating yet such another incredibly detailled model, and if I can contribute even a little by e.g. sharing mods / fixes, I'm glad to be of service!

4 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Carbon axles + special fiberglass reinforced parts (which nobody else owns yet :tongue:) + metal u-joints

Where can I learn more about these higher-strength parts?

6 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Where can I learn more about these higher-strength parts?

Well Bruno can't say, so I'll start a rumour in lieu of facts.

Bruno has a secret project he can't tell us about. It'll be a new model for CaDA - at least I hope so!

That will be another large model that needed stronger gears than ABS. Maybe it was test-built in Lego with CaDA motors and kept exploding the 12 tooth gears in the differential, or maybe there's some design reason it needs to pass a lot of power through 8 tooth gears.

Best chance to get information will be to follow CaDA's socials, if I'm right :)

18 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Do you have a short video demonstrating the speed of the car? I´d be highly interested to see the performance you could achieve! 

Indeed that's the plan! :pir-grin: But I need to shoot it outside, obviously. For which I need to wait for the alpine weather to improve a bit...

In the mean time, the Sian has been marked for demolition, as I plan to re-use its parts to give the 488 Pista a new friend: @T Lego's Centenario, in lime haha! (Yes I have a plan for substituting some parts...)

Hello everyone,

I'd like to start by congratulating Bruno and everyone involved in the brainstorming process that refined even further this MOC.

I've recently started the LEGO journey and after building the 42115 set, I wanted to start on a new 1:8 project, and this is how I've landed here.
Since I would like to build this set using LEGO bricks, I'm currently trying to convert the CADA inventory(from the PDFs uploaded on the FB group) into LEGO inventory,
but given the fact that I'm new to the game and my "vocabulary" is laking all the technical names of the bricks, I'm doing this by comparing images and using google image search.

So far I've managed to add to my inventory around 3000 from the total parts needed, but I have trouble finding some elements, which I suspect are custom CADA bricks.
Is anyone here willing to help me with a rebrickable / bricklink inventory with all the parts needed, or maybe just help me to spot the missing parts based on my inventory?

Apart from the inventory, would you recommend trying to motorize this set using the Powered Up motors vs Power Functions?
Since I'm new to this game, and I don't own any Power Functions elements yet, I'm wondering if I should start fresh with Powered Up components.

Have a nice evening!

Thanks,

B

Hello,

I am building a white Lego Manual one with dark blue stripes. I have a rebrickable partlist which i can offer but i fear it is not completly right. I had so far no time to update the List during build. There are also some extra parts for breaks in different color and the interior is somehow Medium blue.

If you want, you can use it as a starter :)

Some parts are not neccasary even if they are in the list. Cada alternating beam is not mandatory.

Also the additional mods from the posts here are not included.

If you Plan to buy the lego parts from the scratch, be aware it is a quite expensive journey to start.

However, Brunos builds are outstanding... I modified his mclaren into Gulf Oil Livery Design and love it.

The italian supercar is in fact even one step ahead.

Edited by n2kar_jw

I honestly don't get it.  Why not buy the whole thing from CaDA for 180€, and if the few loose fitting pieces bother you, spend maybe 20€ on rebrickable to bring it up to 100% Lego quality? 

How does Lego still inspire such brand loyalty when all they do these days is suck ever more money out of pockets for ever lower quality bricks and lamer models?

... you are all right in almost all Points.

However, I enjoy to MoD the best MoCs to my own like and I think it is not possible to get bricks and pieces from other Brands.

@brucewayne: You´re welcome! Though we are not here to offer you the desired shortcuts. The (new) experience is part of the fun for most of us, so enjoy the rewards in the end after the "hard work" :wink: !

I can recommend to use rebrickable and bricklink - it´s the best database for any Lego part ever made. I´m used to explore parts and numbers in the LDD library as well, although it is getting outdated more and more.

You are free to try Powered Up - I would like to see what is possible since I´ve seen nobody trying so far. But I doubt the challenge is worth it in the stage you are right now. If you don´t own any PF elements, you should think twice collecting them because of the prices which are becoming insane due to the fact they are not being produced anymore by TLG. As @amorti pointed out - get the CaDA set and you have it all, including new generation motors which are compatible to PF as well. 

40 minutes ago, amorti said:

Your POV is clear enough, but hey - let the guys throw their dollars where they want, in support of the suffering . They will know better soon anyway :pir_laugh2: .

31 minutes ago, n2kar_jw said:

Thanks for your help :thumbup:! If you don´t mind posting your version once finished - we would appreciate it.

Edited by brunojj1

32 minutes ago, n2kar_jw said:

... you are all right in almost all Points.

However, I enjoy to MoD the best MoCs to my own like and I think it is not possible to get bricks and pieces from other Brands.

You thought wrong, young padawan. Those strong with the Dark Side order their Bricks from GoBricks... But be warned, the way of the Dark Side is not without its risks, It will consume you as soon as you get a small taste... :grin: :wink:

Edited by Gray Gear

Hello everyone, and thank you for your feedback.

The reason why I’ve opted to try building this using LEGO parts is mainly related to my short experience with this brand. Since I don’t have a hands on experience with bricks from other manufacturers, I’m playing it safe :blush:. My goal is to build 1-2 large constructions each year, so I’ll be carefully sourcing my parts during this time, to lower my price per brick.

I’ve considered buying the CaDA set for a while in the last 3 months, but since the official website had the motorized product out of stock, and the AliExpress sellers have plenty of stock, I’ve reconsidered my opinions.

Those of you whom created a mixed inventory of parts from different manufacturers, how are you organizing it? Do you regret mixing the parts, or have you ever had a problem in doing that?

7 hours ago, brucewayne said:

Hello everyone, and thank you for your feedback.

The reason why I’ve opted to try building this using LEGO parts is mainly related to my short experience with this brand. Since I don’t have a hands on experience with bricks from other manufacturers, I’m playing it safe :blush:. My goal is to build 1-2 large constructions each year, so I’ll be carefully sourcing my parts during this time, to lower my price per brick.

I’ve considered buying the CaDA set for a while in the last 3 months, but since the official website had the motorized product out of stock, and the AliExpress sellers have plenty of stock, I’ve reconsidered my opinions.

Those of you whom created a mixed inventory of parts from different manufacturers, how are you organizing it? Do you regret mixing the parts, or have you ever had a problem in doing that?

BTW, it is back while ago: https://decadastore.com/products/cada-italian-supercar-c61042w

I was a bit hesitant too regarding buying bricks other than Lego as it has never been the case with me. Finally decided to buy the red beauty from Cada. Trust me, they (the parts) are good enough. I bought from AliExpress and unfortunately the batterybox along with an L Motor Pro were missing. Told about it directly to Cada. They almost immediately sent me those parts for free. Personally, I think they are learning and improving at a much faster rate.

Edited by thekoRngear