The Neighborhood Merchant

[Docked Ship] "HMS Legion" Class 7 Heavy Frigate with 28 Guns

With recent events transpiring on the brick seas, paranoia and hostile thoughts continue to plague many minds. One under the influence of this paranoia, an unnamed governor (NPC) under the command of Corrington, has ordered a personal heavy frigate to be built to patrol surrounding waters of any and all possible "hostilities". After the ship's completion, it set course for the governor, but oddly on its arrival, the governor has disappeared. The island was charted and the governor was heavily sought after, but with no luck. Perhaps his paranoia got the better of him? Or was it those pesky tribals? The facts of his disappearance may never be unraveled but one fact does remain: the Legion remains docked, waiting...

(Apologies for the ship exceeding the background, I was not prepared for the sheer size of this behemoth. :laugh:)

50351570686_a9658df90e_c.jpgC7 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50351568751_949188c212_c.jpgIMG_6873 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50350866253_6b7869930d_c.jpgIMG_6871 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Oddly, the ship was never officially certified to the fleet of Corrington. In fact, the ship's manufacturer has remained anonymous. With these peculiar facts, the crew to the Legion find themselves wondering just who their allegiance is pledged to now? 

50351568991_062e512588_c.jpgIMG_6867 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Now with the governor's disappearance, the unnamed island is bursting with new life. Pirates, scoundrels, Oleanders, Corries, Eslandolians, and merchants alike all want one thing, to take on the seas with the Legion. Captain William Marcus of the Legion and his crew have now turned to the pleasure of coin. What is to become of the crew of the Legion? Will their colors remain true and their loyalty to Corrington come back, or will they burn their colors and turn to the rebellious side of the Sea Rats? Perhaps even an Eslandolian or Oleander will purchase and reconfigure the ship to serve their empire. 

50350867668_b64664e20c_c.jpgIMG_6796 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Thanks for reading my story! I built this ship a while back before I got fully into Eslandola. Since I'm part of Eslandola, I have no use for this Corrington heavy frigate so I'm not licensing it as my own. If you're interested in licensing the ship to your fleet, feel free to DM me! Here are some more pictures of the ship and its fun features:

50350866748_095063327a_c.jpgIMG_6863 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50350866588_05efe9e459_c.jpgIMG_6865 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50350867573_6c0908b05f_c.jpgIMG_6810 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

The flooring to the upper and lower deck can easily be removed to get access to all sections of the ship!

50351724647_e4f0440703_c.jpgIMG_6815 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50350867823_4af9e33cfa_c.jpgIMG_6784 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50350867303_0f9190bbd8_c.jpgIMG_6828 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50351724232_8274c0e93f_c.jpgIMG_6835 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50351724407_464158e69d_c.jpgIMG_6830 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50351568326_4a9959b7d4_c.jpgnight by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50351723097_24899bc4e8_c.jpgIMG_6878 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

The base for the ship has multiple features and enjoyable displays, here's a small underwater view from the swivel corner.

50350865693_48068c0aed_c.jpgPlay Feature by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

One of the swivel corners had a turnable gear that opens up a minifigure display underneath the "HMS Legion" pattern.

50350866878_ce2b525926_c.jpgIMG_6860 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Full crew for the Legion.

50351723002_23495483e6_c.jpgIMG_6879 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

The front can easily be opened for a quick display of a hat/hair rack to quickly exchange the headgear for the minifigures!

50351725237_ca93cfef8f_c.jpgGoodbye! by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Another small ship I made alongside it, Rose Mary. The base is all on hinges so it can be folded and stored inside the stand for the legion. Thanks for viewing! I hope you enjoyed. As always, may your journeys on the brick seas be filled with wealth! Cheers. :pir-huzzah2:

50350868153_c51befd55c_c.jpgbam 2 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

More play-features/misc. pictures:

Spoiler

50351889087_0f38ae9370_c.jpgIMG_6866 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50351032708_a57f386c6a_c.jpgIMG_6801 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

The Captain's cabin can be slid out easily via two pins for some quick scenes!

50351889772_8eaf34c5e0_c.jpgIMG_6777 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

50351889187_03a348bd77_c.jpgIMG_6857 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Storage for Rose Mary.

50351032003_3c0f5d5a45_c.jpgPlay Feature 2 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Cargo is on tiles and can be re-arranged and easily taken out.

50351735226_4ec8e7cc80_c.jpgIMG_6829 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Windows from Metal Beard's ship.

50351888942_56cdf8e614_c.jpgIMG_6885 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Full hull out of water!

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

Very beautiful and impressive ship. Thanks for the many photos with the details. I can learn a lot about what I need to do better on my next ship.

Appreciate the kind words @NOD! I'm glad to hear that my picture taking addiction is appreciated. Don't sell yourself short, your Paraiso is a superb looking ship! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. :classic:

Wow, what a superb ship! I'm not sure about the grey tiles on deck, but everything else is very, very nice. You included a lot of the tiny details I love (the cook, the minifigure display platform, the hat holders...). Very nice rigging too!

I'm only rather sad you had a bunch of red -and not blue- coats for the crew, somebody would have gladly bought it with some shiny doubloons... a lot of shiny doubloons... and would probably be interested regardless the uniform color!

BTW, is the paper a printed part or some photoshop magic? :classic:

Amazing frigate. Apart from the great model, colours, minifigs and rigging, I really like the specials in the baseplate. It is also really playable which is amazing. Just a wonderful MOC all around!

I'm glad you enjoyed it @Keymonus!  The cook is my favorite figure as well. There's something about a beard plus a stereotypical smiley face that brings a lot of joy to me. As for the tiling, I've always wanted to try out the old light gray for the deck of a ship. I figured it'd fit as an accent to the darker color scheme, but I can definitely see why dark brown would look nice. I'll have to consider swapping it out, thanks for the feedback!

4 hours ago, Keymonus said:

I'm only rather sad you had a bunch of red -and not blue- coats for the crew, somebody would have gladly bought it with some shiny doubloons... a lot of shiny doubloons... and would probably be interested regardless the uniform color!

Maybe one of these days I'll have to make an Oleander frigate. I don't think I can take another 2 hours of dusting every month though :laugh:

4 hours ago, Keymonus said:

BTW, is the paper a printed part or some photoshop magic? :classic:

It is a sticker. I simply just cut it out of paper and put it through a sticker machine. I think it fits in nicely as a BoBS contract/deed. If you'd like the file for it, feel free to DM me!

Thanks,@JintaiZ!

I appreciate the kind words @Count Vroskri. I'm glad you liked it!

Thanks, @Fraunces! Your kind words mean a lot! I go a little overboard with features sometimes. I figure there's no reason to have empty space if you can put some wacky play-feature in there! :grin:

Very nice ship, I really like it, the fact that you included a detailed is even better, and the easy-to-open feature is really cool.

I also like your custom hull, the technique you used here looks simple yet effective, you managed to represent the shape of the hull, which isn't always an easy task with bricks.

The colour scheme looks nice too, it reminds me of these heavy frigates from the late period of age of sail.

The crew are wearing red, but we won't mind to place them under OL colours.:pir_laugh2:

A very beautiful vessel NM, packed with lots of great details! I especially like the old knight helmet used for the figurehead and the headlight bricks used as the deck grate. The crew quarters are amazing - love those hammocks! As for the crew themselves, spectacular, especially the colour of their jackets. A real loss for us that you ended up deciding on Eslandola! Although, the hacienda style building you made for Weelond is so beautifully Eslandolan! 

As a representative of the Corlander leadership, I'd like to formally make an offer to retain the Legion in Her Majesties Navy. Happy to discuss terms here or via PM - whichever you like. We are not necessary limited to offering you DB either, if you wanted some reciprocal land builds in an Eslandolan settlement I would be open to that as well. 

You really put some love into this and it shows, beautiful ship!  Fantastic rigging, great colors, and an interior on top of that, wow!  The way you integrated stuff into the base is super cool too. :pir-grin:  Great job!

9 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

I don't think I can take another 2 hours of dusting every month though

That's why I used a can of compressed air! :pir_tong2:

Beautiful looking ship! Such great and fun details throughout. The custom base is certainly a show stealer yet it complements the ship very nicely.

52 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

why...:wall:didn't...:wall:...I :wall:...think:wall:of that... Thanks @LM71Blackbird! I'm glad to hear everyone loves the wacky and fun play features of the ship. Now, if you excuse, I'm going to go back in time to slap myself.

Thank you so much @Kai NRG! The base was a lot of fun to make. I also now have a newfound respect for fully rigged ships after spending days tying knots. :laugh:

Thanks for bringing me the joy of reading your kind words @Bodi! I'll always be a sucker for playability, so I just had to make all the decks accessible. Thanks for the compliment of the hull shaping. I've always wanted to use the old red hull pieces from the runner. I couldn't use a traditional style shaping because of that pesky dark gray on the front and back hull prefab, it was quite tricky covering up every centimeter of that.

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

As for the crew themselves, spectacular, especially the colour of their jackets.

Ha! :grin: Appreciate the feedback, @Ayrlego! It's great to hear you enjoyed it. The old knight helmets are some of my favorite molds, they look so good! Thanks for the compliments on the decks. As for the licensing, Your formal request is much appreciated and is accepted. I would be happy to hand this over to Corrington. With the amount of red in this MOC, there's just no way this cannot belong to a corry. Feel free to send me a DM whenever and we can get her in the right hands.

2 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Beware of those duster cleaner, some gaz used are very cold even at the output of the pipe and tend to weaken the bricks, especially the reddish brown and dark red tiles (I had some unhappy experiences, now I clean with a smooth duster fabric)

Wow, wow and wow! Amazing ship, detailed pics and excellent playability! Oh, great base as well!

Clearly though blue crew would complement the ship's colors way better :wink:

On 9/19/2020 at 11:15 PM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Ha! Actually, I think green and gold would have been even better, silly me. :pir-grin:

Nah, green and gold only trade rather than fight so blue must be you next bet ? ☺️

Edited by blackdeathgr

What a fantastic ship, and even more brilliant stand and baseplate. Just a shame its being sold to the lobsterbacks. Oh well, looks like the Sea Rats have a new target to commandeer :pir-grin:

Thanks you very much @Corweena! I'm glad you liked the fun features I've included for the base!

Don't you mean *ahem* temporarily take command of out of the kindness of your heart since the captain has come down with sudden "dreaded illness"? Those silly corries, always getting sick, right? :wink:

I've revisited this, like three times now. I want to say more, but all I can come up with it "OK, that's pretty cool". I know, doesn't sound like much, but it's meant as high praise. If I tried to detail my appreciation I'd have to say that the ship is so clean and neat, while including so much play-ability yet comes off as still being ship like. As a builder who invests heavily in his own characters I really appreciate the hidden compartments to hold accessories and such, too. You don't want the ships officers sitting down to dinner in their hats on one hand, while they can't stand a watch with a bare head, right? Anyway, great job!

Dave

@kurigan I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Dave! "OK, that's pretty cool" means the world to me coming from an expert ship builder! I couldn't agree more with the accessories aspect. That was much needed for this build with its modularity. I'm glad you chose the words "clean and neat". Perhaps that hour of dusting was in-fact worth it? :laugh:

Once again, it means a lot to read your kind words! Also, I appreciate your feedback from when I first posted the WIP for this ship to shipwrights back in October.