Sign in to follow this  
SteamSewnEmpire

[MOD] Barracuda-to-galleon 'Queen Jane's Remorse'

I like my Barracuda, but I'll be honest: I think the stern castle is really lazy - it's the one part of the model that I feel like Lego kind of phoned in. On the other hand, right off the bat I thought the core hull was just brilliantly designed, albeit better suited to serve as the base of a galleon than a kind of miniaturized line ship. With that in mind, I went to work this morning...

GmYT725.png

Exn5yHX.png

1WwGcqG.png

X6TCCb4.png

2ivhfF0.png

Very little of the original ship remains - the sides, masts, and the lower stern, and that's it. I feel like it turned out *okay* - it's still kind of toy-like, but in a pleasing way that blends a reasonable part count (about 1,600) with some real-world influences. There's no sheer, but a lot of really successful galleons in this scale seem to eschew that characteristic, so it's probably passable.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Don't be so rough on yourself @SteamSewnEmpire, you did a phenomenal job! You aced the bowsprit look and your accents are on point. Love the sand green with the dark green blend. If she was fully rigged and with custom sails, she'd be an absolute beaut! Great job on the stern, gives me nostalgic skull eye schooner vibes. Will you be making her in bricks? Thanks for showing this wonderful model, cheers! :pir-huzzah2:

13 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Don't be so rough on yourself @SteamSewnEmpire, you did a phenomenal job! You aced the bowsprit look and your accents are on point. Love the sand green with the dark green blend. If she was fully rigged and with custom sails, she'd be an absolute beaut! Great job on the stern, gives me nostalgic skull eye schooner vibes. Will you be making her in bricks? Thanks for showing this wonderful model, cheers! :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks man. I may build it. It would be very difficult to choose between this and the Indefatigable I did last month. Totally different eras... different "loves" (Royal Navy vs. 17th Century piracy). Geesh. Tough call.

3 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

It would be very difficult to choose between this and the Indefatigable I did last month.

I would personally do the Indefatigable. Great way to learn and try different methods of hull curvature methods. Also, the rigging and sails on that would be enjoyable and a great display piece if finished. Your Black Prince train is a real work of art as well and deserves to be built in bricks! :laugh: Look forward to seeing what you come up with next! Best regards.

Nice ship! Tthe stern reminds me a bit of the queen anne´s revenge due to the high windows. I personally do not like the big skull at the top there, the ship is more kind of a realistic attempt in my opinion and the skull does not fit to that. :jollyroger: