brick-builds

[MOC] Very compact train drive

2 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Maybe I can rearrange my Nohab with this kind of motor and solution

I really believe so, Emanuele! With your building skills and with what @brick-builds has presented, it should really be possible.

When you take the PF route, the PF L-motor will certainly create way much more torque as the PF train motor. At the expense of maximum speed though.
When you take the PUp route, the PUp L-motor does all what the PF version does plus you get the option of PID control of the speed setting. You will have to in incorporate a 2I/O Hub, but as far as I remember, your Nohab had the PF battery box on-board as well.

Lighting would then go with the other Hub's output port. And with your superb electronics/soldering skills that should be nor problem at all!

All the best my friend!

Thorsten

@brick-builds, this a very neat design!

And I believe reinforcing it when having more space available should be possible.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten

I feel the pain of the grey connector in the middle, with its pins only half-inserted into the yellow bricks...

Interesting idea, but I think the design is kinda weak. The 1x1 technic brick is not well secured on the frame and as @Duq mentioned the half inserted technic pin is not a great connection. I came up with a stronger design (4L bogie). https://bricksafe.com/pages/Beck/ideasexplained

If you want to improve your design, I'd at least recommend using 1x2 technic bricks for the technic connector in the middle as it won't fall out as easily as a 1x1 technic brick. You could also use the small rings from the lord of the ring series on either side of the technic connector prevent it from sliding side to side.

On 9/19/2020 at 12:42 AM, Toastie said:

I really believe so, Emanuele! With your building skills and with what @brick-builds has presented, it should really be possible.

When you take the PF route, the PF L-motor will certainly create way much more torque as the PF train motor. At the expense of maximum speed though.
When you take the PUp route, the PUp L-motor does all what the PF version does plus you get the option of PID control of the speed setting. You will have to in incorporate a 2I/O Hub, but as far as I remember, your Nohab had the PF battery box on-board as well.

Lighting would then go with the other Hub's output port. And with your superb electronics/soldering skills that should be nor problem at all!

All the best my friend!

Thorsten

@brick-builds, this a very neat design!

And I believe reinforcing it when having more space available should be possible.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten

I have a reinforced version which use 1 or 1/2 stud more on top than this version. (video coming soon)