Pattspatt

First MOC - 42110 B-Model: Forklift

Hi all - my B-Model from Land Rover 42110 is complete. It’s a forklift, with a design goal of minimum steering radius. 

OkIRzle.jpg

Functions: 

• Mast, controlled by knob at the back (modified version of mast from 8416)
  • Tilting forks, controlled from main cabin
  • Steering, controlled by HOG propane tank or adjustable steering wheel
  • DNR selector at main cabin
  • Fake I-4 engine
  • Steering-activated transmission, to allow the wheels to rotate in opposite directions during tight turns, and still be “powered” by the differential.
  • Manually adjustable fork width

Video:

The functions in this model are pretty densely packed:

ylgNTYT.png

Here’s the steering geometry at its most extreme position: 

9ncnd8x.png

I had a lot of fun making this! Hope you enjoy. More photos are available at https://imgur.com/gallery/3OevclL and https://imgur.com/gallery/WKv96Fm

Instructions (reverse teardown photos) are available at  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10VAueyqqde0JfZyzRMm0Sj6I-fBRnxge - sort by Name, descending for the correct order. Also on Rebrickable at https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-55079/Pattspatt/forklift-42110-b-model/#details

Edited by Pattspatt

That's an AMAZING piece of work, well done!  Even using arbitrary parts it would be impressive, but doing it from one set is astonishsing.

I might try to make the fan a little faster.  It's kind of a pity that the marvellous reversing mechanism for the steering is not more obvious to the casual observer.  If it were motorized it would be perhaps be clearer, but that might not be practical.

I encourage you to make instructions.  I'm sure lots of people would want to make this, and you might regret not having a record of it later.

Edited by aeh5040

Wow, this is an awesome build !! The steering is simply ingenious.

Amazing for a B model.

7 hours ago, Pattspatt said:

There are no plans for instructions at this point, beyond a photo teardown

Photo teardown will be good. Such an MOC deserves a challenging set of instructions. Trivializing with a one-part-in-each-step baby instructions is almost irreverent to this thoughtful MOC.

A recreator will also find it a lot more satisfying build after sweating it out a bit.

Superb technic! 
this should get front paged for technic awesomeness. It looks great of course but this is technic frontpaging :thumbup:

What a B-model, just whoa!

The mechanism for the steering-activated transmission is really unique. I've never seen that before in a technic build.

Wonderful model, some real novelties in there:thumbup:. All the more impressive being a B-model. Instructions (teardown photo's) would be more than welcome!

Thanks very much everyone for your feedback! Glad you’ve enjoyed it. 

22 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

I might try to make the fan a little faster. 

Yeah, this would be nice - I couldn’t find a way without a major redesign, or a more compact piece for the fan than the cheese wedge/brick built solution. (Part of it is also that every 8-tooth, 12-tooth bevel/double bevel, and 16-tooth non-clutch gear were used).

22 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

It's kind of a pity that the marvellous reversing mechanism for the steering is not more obvious to the casual observer.

Yes, I’ve run into this problem trying to explain to my wife. Hopefully the video makes this function clear for most :laugh:   It’s funny that this model and the A-Model both have a large amount of complexity dedicated to making a fake piston motor spin in an “appropriate” way - in that sense this B-model is in the spirit of the original.

17 hours ago, iLego said:

Photo teardown will be good. Such an MOC deserves a challenging set of instructions.

Hopefully I can make it reasonably clear - should be ready in the coming weeks. 

Edited by Pattspatt

This was the sort of radical engineering which we used to see in some of the older Technic sets.  Take a look at the build of the fork lift on 8082 for example.  it is solving a problem in a mechanical format which would be designed differently, using hydraulic or electronic means.  Given the fact that the forklift made is only 2wd the opposing rotation to each wheel at full lock is even more important.

A great proof of concept, but don't depend on your mast when removing product from high level pallet racking!  Well done.

13 minutes ago, trekman said:

This was the sort of radical engineering which we used to see in some of the older Technic sets

Very true, it feels to me like 'proper technic'.. A day when i see a new clever solution is a happy day!! As everyone has already said, this is a brilliant moc. I love it.

Before I take this apart, I wanted to show a side-build that I made with the leftover 42110 pieces - some cargo and a pallet rack. 
hVEe2Q0.jpg

JsjQr6i.jpg

The cargo is a mini-Land Rover (roughly the size that the lego set would be), an I-3 engine, and some sort of filtration unit.

QlDwwwl.jpg

The pile of spares is very small, now that all the leftover panels are used in the side builds. 

There’s a gif of the side builds in use at https://imgur.com/gallery/WKv96Fm. Next stop, teardown instructions.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:53 PM, trekman said:

This was the sort of radical engineering which we used to see in some of the older Technic sets.  Take a look at the build of the fork lift on 8082 for example.  it is solving a problem in a mechanical format which would be designed differently, using hydraulic or electronic means.  Given the fact that the forklift made is only 2wd the opposing rotation to each wheel at full lock is even more important.

A great proof of concept, but don't depend on your mast when removing product from high level pallet racking!  Well done.

I thought so too, some Technic sets of the old days included really ingenious mechanical solutions with limited parts and this MOC reminds me of those days. Well done @Pattspatt!

Now I want to buy 42110, not because of the original build but to build this one...

This is awesome! This is what Lego should be. It indeed reminded me olden Technic sets where very different models could be made using same parts.

Hi all - instructions are now complete! (Reverse teardown photos). I tried to make them as clear as possible - sort by Name, descending, to get them in the correct order. Let me know if there are any problems with the link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10VAueyqqde0JfZyzRMm0Sj6I-fBRnxge

Edited by Pattspatt

I've been working with the teardown photos, currently just completed series 4. I want to commend you for a nicely done series - they are clear and straightforward to follow, although some of the subassemblies can be tricky to join together. Also a reminder to others, that you really have to keep checking that the driveline is working correctly at all stages, as there are quite a number of places where it can seize up - I just spent 10 minutes to track down what turned out to be a connection that had come loose, right next to the steering axle on the to driveline.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:16 PM, so_ve said:

Wow, it's amazing! I'll definitely build it, even I don't have a 42110 :classic:

@Pattspatt I think you should post this to Rebrickable!

Thanks! Glad you like it :) 

It’s now on rebrickable; it took a little while to be approved: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-55079/Pattspatt/forklift-42110-b-model/#details

19 hours ago, pleegwat said:

I've been working with the teardown photos, currently just completed series 4. I want to commend you for a nicely done series - they are clear and straightforward to follow, although some of the subassemblies can be tricky to join together. Also a reminder to others, that you really have to keep checking that the driveline is working correctly at all stages, as there are quite a number of places where it can seize up - I just spent 10 minutes to track down what turned out to be a connection that had come loose, right next to the steering axle on the to driveline.

Glad they’re working out for you so far. Yes, there are lots of gears (almost all the gears that were in the A-model’s drivetrain), and they all spin all the time, haha. The ones that generally gave me the most problems were the tan 20-tooth gears on the side DNR gearboxes - during mid-build testing, it’s worth testing those gearboxes in both switch positions. Luckily they’re fairly accessible throughout the build.

Edited by Pattspatt

I finished the build today. The only real pain point at this stage were the wires in the main mast, and again a number of tricky module mountings. I'll try to take a photo or two by daylight tomorrow.

My only real failure is that I absolutely cannot tell what's going on in the centre here (Image 5952) , though I cobbled together something workable regardless:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UakyMox7HJFODMVw6Xu6RAUDUhtA6qDD/view?usp=sharing

10 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

My only real failure is that I absolutely cannot tell what's going on in the centre here (Image 5952) , though I cobbled together something workable regardless:

Oops, should have disassembled that more - those light gray ball things are just towballs-with-axle parts. Glad the only completely indecipherable step was for a side-build!