Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 21. Rumors and discussion

For some reason the space police looks better on the back of the leaflet and knowing he has a better alternate face and gun makes him more appealing to me. my only complaint is the visor should have been the one from last years city space sets the helmet piece was designed to accommodate.

in red of course since we have not gotten that part in red is the point that I’m trying to make.

Yeah getting that visor in trans red would have been nice.  I would have preferred that to the badge on the helmet.  Now if they had put the classic space logo on the helmet I would have preferred that.

I do find it interesting that Jang (of Jangbricks) thinks the Space Police guy is the worst fig of the series because he is relatively plain.  That is the exact reason I like the fig.  He is detailed but still simple enough to mix with the original Space Police sets and figures without looking too weird.  Unlike the Blacktron bounty hunter where the early leak picture missing the metallic printing looked better than the final fig with said metallic printing.  Sometimes less is more.

7 hours ago, danth said:

I wish the shield had the full Space Police logo. It has the font at least.

image.png.9b3e7d511f56e8ade26c2cb775413820.png

That would have looked much better that the odd badge even if it was still just black on white.  It would have been really cool to get a black shield with the proper red and silver logo.  That could have been a really useful building element for Space Police MOCs.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:03 PM, cosmic said:

Can’t say I totally agree with this comparison. I was as tired of costumes last series as I was now, but prefer the Fox and Pizza Guy over the Pug Guy and LadyBug Girl.

OK, for longer term CMF collectors, the fox and the pizza guy were already yet another animal costume and yet another food costume. The first few were fun but they have done too many. My breaking point was obviously before yours if you liked S19. The pizza guy was especially bad for me, being just a recolour of the watermelon guy suit that had only just been released before the pizza guy came along.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

OK, for longer term CMF collectors, the fox and the pizza guy were already yet another animal costume and yet another food costume. The first few were fun but they have done too many. My breaking point was obviously before yours if you liked S19. The pizza guy was especially bad for me, being just a recolour of the watermelon guy suit that had only just been released before the pizza guy came along.

I mean Series 18 was when I said they better tone down the release of these costume figures. At this point any animal or mythical creature can be a costume so the appearance of a costumed figure upsets me bc its such an easy way to fill up a series since you can be a costume of practically anything. I’d rather have a Lady-Bug humanoid in a superhero costume or a Dog-Man in battle armor than a guy in a dog suit or a girl in a ladybug outfit. 

but liking S19 had more to do with the Johnny Thunder Fig, rainbow bear who I pretend is a care bear and the monkey king and space villain figures. And the dog walker!! 

and on a note more relevant to this topic the more I look at this series the more I hate it. The pilot girl is too generic in face print, tired of the surfer, castaway looks too generic, the violin boy is just a city fig with a new mold, very few feel unique and a simple smiley face seems to dominate the facial print for the series. It’s too redundant and simple for me. This series isn’t it.

Official names! *oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2*

Centaur Warrior

Shipwreck Survivor

Pug Costume Guy

Beekeeper

Ladybug Girl

Violin Kid

Alien

Space Police Guy

Ancient Warrior

Airplane Girl

Cabaret Singer  *oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2**oh2*

Paddle Surfer.

Interesting view showing some of the pieces

71029_alt4.jpg?fit=bounds&format=jpg&quality=80&width=65&height=45&dpr=1

Already on LEGO Shop https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/series-21-71029

From what I can see, all of them have double face, except for the Alien of course

Edited by Robert8

Interesting how they put the Centauress on the display plate sideways, but on the shop image they have her the normal direction

Also something to point out, the Cabaret Singer has a skirt piece of some kind, so we were correct in thinking she was missing a part when the leaked images came out. 

Do we know the colour of the dolphin for sure yet? Looks different to me in different images ... I’m guessing it’s the same blue as the hammerhead shark, but some images make it look lighter or darker 

13 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The magnify feature bugged out for me so I made it a gif:

50681251707_0fbf6733e4_o.gif

Love it!!!:)

I am looking forward for an army of Ancient Warrior

4 hours ago, williejm said:

Do we know the colour of the dolphin for sure yet? Looks different to me in different images ... I’m guessing it’s the same blue as the hammerhead shark, but some images make it look lighter or darker 

I think it’s the same as the hammerhead shark.

14 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The magnify feature bugged out for me so I made it a gif:

*gif*

That always glitches out for me too, awesome to see some use come out of it :laugh:

I actually LOVE the food costumes (and have been collecting all of them). The animal costumes can be good as well although I am not a fan of the pug or ladybug (I want more of things like the gorilla suit or the giraffe suit...)

On 12/4/2020 at 8:05 PM, AmperZand said:

@Robert8, Good find! Thanks :thumbup:

Why the astonishment at the cabaret singer's name/identity? I would have guessed carnival singer, so am not too surprised.

I find the name a bit too risque for TLG

Cabaret is for adult entertainment. Think something like Moulin Rouge

48 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

From the company that brought you a minifigure of a character who has a back story of being a prostitute. Cabaret singer seems tame in comparison.

Well, having been absent around here for about a month, you'd think official pics of a new CMS would drag me back; and yet one week later, only now I'm sharing my thoughts, and there's just not much to say. Even in spite of the debut of some long-desired archetypes from this Series (the Beekeeper, Space Cop, and a Centaur), it just feels so underwhelming as a whole, as I find all the designs leaving much to be desired. Plus, it really doesn't help that three "costumed" CMF still are taking up a quarter of this newly reduced line-up (and on a personal note, that Airplane Suit Girl could've easily been an Aviatrix for crying out loud)... :ugh:

Cynicism aside though, the Jaguar Warrior is rather decent, and the Space Cop's simplicity does have a more "Classic" charm about it. :shrug_oh_well:

I get the artistic licence, but the ladybird figure bugs me - having spots on the belly and a red head. 

Re the centaur torso having no defining ‘female’ traits, worth mentioning that of the five ‘female coded’ figures, only one - the Cabaret Singer - has *any* printed torso curves. 
Of the ‘male’ figures, only the two topless ones are not unisex. 

1 hour ago, williejm said:

Re the centaur torso having no defining ‘female’ traits, worth mentioning that of the five ‘female coded’ figures, only one - the Cabaret Singer - has *any* printed torso curves. 
Of the ‘male’ figures, only the two topless ones are not unisex. 

The girls wouldn't have done anyway, but it is nice that the women ones don't either, where possible. It is also nice that most do not have a very small amount of yellow at the neck, rendering them useless for fleshie conversion. So this is good for both swapping genders and swapping them from yellowskins to fleshies. I hope this marks a general change for future series too.

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

To me it just means entertainment in a club or restaurant, so no big deal. It could have been worse - they could have used drag queen, which no doubt some will be used as.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:14 PM, cosmic said:

At this point any animal or mythical creature can be a costume so the appearance of a costumed figure upsets me bc its such an easy way to fill up a series since you can be a costume of practically anything. I’d rather have a Lady-Bug humanoid in a superhero costume or a Dog-Man in battle armor than a guy in a dog suit or a girl in a ladybug outfit. 

You could make any costume into a superhero too by adding a cape and armour any by adding armour. I'm not a fan of the costumes, but I cannot see the appeal of a dog-man in battle armour or a superhero ladybug. I can understand a dog costume. I can understand a battle armour suit. But not a dog in a battle armour suit.

10 minutes ago, MAB said:

You could make any costume into a superhero too by adding a cape and armour any by adding armour. I'm not a fan of the costumes, but I cannot see the appeal of a dog-man in battle armour or a superhero ladybug. I can understand a dog costume. I can understand a battle armour suit. But not a dog in a battle armour suit.

Release the battle-hounds!

5 hours ago, MAB said:

We can agree to disagree. I understand the reasoning and respect it but I am more comfortable and excited by out of the box, niche, and unique concepts as opposed to repeated tropes done in different ways. A lady-bug person alone like an alien race of ladybug people sounds fun to me. I can see how adding superhero elements and armored elements to already strange concepts can sound like too much but the more unique and out of left field the figure is, the more I think I’ll enjoy it. Plus I love science fiction and think figures representing random races or species dressed in really any attire serve a huge functional purpose for how I like to display. Any pink or green skinned character can be an alien. It’s peculiar I agree but it’s what would excite me in particular.

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

We can agree to disagree. I understand the reasoning and respect it but I am more comfortable and excited by out of the box, niche, and unique concepts as opposed to repeated tropes done in different ways. A lady-bug person alone like an alien race of ladybug people sounds fun to me. I can see how adding superhero elements and armored elements to already strange concepts can sound like too much but the more unique and out of left field the figure is, the more I think I’ll enjoy it. Plus I love science fiction and think figures representing random races or species dressed in really any attire serve a huge functional purpose for how I like to display. Any pink or green skinned character can be an alien. It’s peculiar I agree but it’s what would excite me in particular.

So add a cape to the lady bug and armour to the dog yourself. We all have our peculiar fantasies that others would think "what is this?" if it was an official figure. The good thing about these is the lack of skin print on most, so if you want to stick a green head and hands on one of them to make them an alien, you can. We've had loads of superheroes recently in the DC series, and various Batman movie series. Put the plane on the dog and you have a flying dog guy. And what about a centaur drag queen?

If they just randomly put a head, torso and accessories together to make an out of the box character, then to most people they will look like they randomly put together a torso, head and accessories. We will end up with a zombie skateboarder (they already did one of them) zombie surfer, alien skateboarder, and so on.