Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 21. Rumors and discussion

Honestly, I get that people want original figs to keep the theme alive but in my opinion, I’d be so really happy if they decided to create modern iterations of classic/older LEGO themes - that Paradisa paddle boarder, space-police trooper and adventurers-like warrior are all superb callbacks that I think’s working in this ten year old theme’s favour for nostalgic purposes (if not foreshadowing) 

another leak seems to show said paddle-boarder with a life-jacket not depicted in the leaflet so unsure whether that’s part of her of not 

Edited by Nicster2000
Addition

Hey, the Space Police officer has a reissue of the old Futuron torso. That’s neat! (Though I wish it had been Classic Space black or blue to go with the helmets we have . . Futuron used the same race car driver helmets that are still in production, so the helmet in the Mickey/Minnie set isn’t needed for this one.)

It makes me so happy to see these homages to the good old days of Lego space (80s and 90s), given that we do not get much space sets these days (aside from city space). Granted, my wallet would probably not be able to handle a space revival!

Just saw the series ... Although I'm a little underwhelmed by it, it still has enough spark to keep me collecting. I love the beachcomber, but I 100 percent agree that his hair/beard combo should have come in a new/different color. The violin is a great new accessory, with a "meh" figure holding it.  l think the bee keeper is great, the Jaguar Warrior is amazing, and one half of the centaur is great. I too, think it should have been a male, and a new hair style should have been included *cough* Robert8's design *cough*. Even if they kept it as a female, this mythic creature is crying out for something other that lackluster hair piece they chose for her. The paddle boarder's hat and hair combo to me was not a good choice considering we had two variations of it already in the last unlicensed set. How about showing some love to other hair pieces? The recolored dolphin is a welcome addition, though. Nothing about the plane costume kid does anything for me, not a useful figure at all for me. The pug costume kid is cute enough, but did they really just reuse a face print? It looks suspiciously similar to one we already have ...

Maybe Lego is feeling the crunch of Covid, but they really could have done a little bit better here.

1 hour ago, DarrellBricker said:

The violin is a great new accessory, with a "meh" figure holding it.  

... I thought the Blacktron logo T-shirt was a nice nod

The kid holding the violin is something you can get at a BAM station or even in a City set

I wish that had been a Mozart minifigure. He would still get the violin but with a more interesting character

14 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The kid holding the violin is something you can get at a BAM station or even in a City set

I wish that had been a Mozart minifigure. He would still get the violin but with a more interesting character

A kid with straight-ish, black hair playing the violin? Could LEGO be appealing to China, its fastest growing market?

16 hours ago, DarrellBricker said:

Maybe Lego is feeling the crunch of Covid, but they really could have done a little bit better here.

I believe CMFs are planned more than a year ahead, so before the pandemic.

———

Male or female (I don’t mind which), I wish the centaur had come with a new hairpiece with elf ears. If LEGO wanted to convey a sylvan look, that would have been the way to do it.

Edited by AmperZand

1 hour ago, williejm said:

100% agreed. It’s really neat!

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I would have loved to see a Mozart-inspired minifigure in this series! It could fill the historical spot as well. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that they went with a female centaur because male ones are so strongly connected to the HP line. This may or may not be a good enough reason in yours eyes, but it probably wasn't a random decision.

6 hours ago, DarrellBricker said:

Just saw the series ... Although I'm a little underwhelmed by it, it still has enough spark to keep me collecting. I love the beachcomber, but I 100 percent agree that his hair/beard combo should have come in a new/different color. The violin is a great new accessory, with a "meh" figure holding it.  l think the bee keeper is great, the Jaguar Warrior is amazing, and one half of the centaur is great. I too, think it should have been a male, and a new hair style should have been included *cough* Robert8's design *cough*. Even if they kept it as a female, this mythic creature is crying out for something other that lackluster hair piece they chose for her. The paddle boarder's hat and hair combo to me was not a good choice considering we had two variations of it already in the last unlicensed set. How about showing some love to other hair pieces? The recolored dolphin is a welcome addition, though. Nothing about the plane costume kid does anything for me, not a useful figure at all for me. The pug costume kid is cute enough, but did they really just reuse a face print? It looks suspiciously similar to one we already have ...

The Pug face is very similar to the Panda suit, but the Pug’s tongue is bigger. 

The more I look the more they’re growing on me. As long as I can find them at Walmart for the hopefully still $3.44 I’ll pick up most of them. 

11 hours ago, williejm said:

I came into Lego well after some of the classic series you all know and love so I didn't get the reference. It's a nice nod, sure, but to me it's still a "meh" figure when there were so many other, more interesting ways you could go with it. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy each and every one for my collection because I love this series, but I'm finding most of them, or at least their parts, to be a little uninspired. 

The violin kid should have been a classical music player of course. That would have been great. What a missed opportunity. 
i don’t like the looks of that kid as well. Even if he has a Blacktron shirt on. He is just boring.

and indeed if the centaur had a new hairpiece with elf ears it would be so much more convincing. 

My first reaction when I noticed the Blacktron reference on the violin player was excitement, but then it wore off and I realized what you guys are saying. It is true; perhaps a more classical figure would be a better addition. Maybe Lego thought it wouldn't sell as well with kids.

Some of the accesories are great, but the figures are pretty bland and uninteresting to me. Doesn't help that they reduced the number to 12, with even less room to bring something to the table for everyone.

This is probably the weakest series of all non-licensed waves so far, in my opinion.

I’m going to start by saying Series 19 was one of the best series in recent memory. I thought series 20 was good enough and loved the Viking and Power Ranger figures.

This series is one of the most underwhelming of the entire theme. Possibly my absolute least favorite series ever 

1. Paddle-Boarder - Scuba/Beach figures are a clear sign of lack of ideas. That is all

2. Carnival Singer - One of the best this series but I don’t plan on keeping that skirt piece

3. Pilot girl - So much wrong. Tired of the usual smiley face, the collectible figures used to feel like unique characters and a print with maybe sweat and binoculars would have excited me more. Overall uninterested in the concept.

4. Beach Bum - New mold is exciting but I have no interest in anything but the animal this figure is so city and so casual 1/10

5. Centaur - She’d do good if she had the long ponytail piece the Genie and Dino Tracker figures has. With a printed on Tiara and some unique facial expressions this figure would increase in quality. Printed hooves on the feet of the centaur and a tail colored different than the body like Harry potter centaurs had. Also wish she had a different weapon or even a different skin tone. I would like Lego to feel comfortable expanding on established concepts and giving us blue centaurs with wings or vampire rockstars with hooves. The more unique the better in my book. Dislike the smile dislike the hair dislike the accessories uninterested in the torso print. A miss with potential.

6. Beekeeper - Standout. Won’t buy him but he’s a solid addition to the franchise and one of the few that carry this wave

7. Ladybug girl - unpopular opinion but I have completely fallen tired of the costumes.

8. pug guy - instead of animal suited characters they should release anthropomorphic characters like in Chima. I’d rather have a dogman character than a guy in a dog suit. Seriously less human in suits and more just completely non human figures please.

9. Aztec Warrior - Best of the wave super excited for him

10. Space Riot Police - Solid figure with good printing with a smart take on how to produce a cop figure in 2020

11. Violin Kid - Happy for the violin but the kid is too city and not collectible enough. Doesn’t feel unique or original. Smiling face boy with casual clothing. If it was an older man dressed in concert gear with maybe a stressed face and a calm face with a character description of a concert player nervous for his big show, this figure would have been pulled off right. As it is I hate this figure.

12. Alien crook - Meh to the head mold but I appreciate the Yeti’s and the Aliens and the Gargoyles of this theme. By virtue of him being a non human character I am okay with his release. Decent print.

I must be in the minority, because I think this is one of the best waves in a while. While I will admit the Beekeeper, two beach people, singer and violin boy are strong passes for me, the rest are all a must buy. The Jungle Warrior and Centaur in particular are damn near perfect in my opinion and convey everything I love about the "warrior" and "mythical" sub groupings. And considering how few mythical we've had in a while (bar the equally amazing Sun Wukong) I'm glad to see them hit it out the park. Also really like the space cop and I think the alien crook is a nice complement.

How can that beekeeper be a “strong pass”?! *huh*

It’s up there with some of the best ever CMF from the earlier series IMO. That little honey stain drip on the torso is just above and beyond.

Thanks for the nice, high res pictures! I really do love that Jaguar Warrior, he is a beauty to behold. I also find it interesting that the centaur's torso is not feminized like they often do, ie, the curves aren't there, and they didn't put on any obvious breast accent lines like they did on the singer. So a simple head/hair swap can get you a male centaur pretty easily, for what it's worth. I do like her freckled face though ... 

If you look very closely it appears that there could be some arm print on the castaways right arm

of course it could probably be a small editing mistake 

Just now, 1Panda said:

If you look very closely it appears that there could be some arm print on the castaways right arm

of course it could probably be a small editing mistake 

He has a anchor tattoo, as seen in other pics. The ones with are printing are Centaur, Jaguar Warrior, Castaway and Alien 

2 minutes ago, Mr. President said:

Why is it such an issue that the centaur is female?

It's not for me anyway.  I think I'm going to use the torso for an already elf faction I already have as it fits quite nicely and probably find a different torso for the female centaur.  The female centaur torso doesn't have the usual female lines on it so you could use it for male or female.