Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 21. Rumors and discussion

On 1/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, Robert8 said:

And there is bunny girl and a fox guy :laugh:

You were right on the money

And dare I say these are far more interesting designs than a boy wearing completely normal clothing with nothing but a violin? Am I crazy for insinuating that animal headed people and beat box headed humans, very niche ideas that push the creative boundaries of the designers and bring something new to the Lego scene are far more desirable characters when compared to figures that look exactly like something we could get in a city or creator set?

Even if its not through the CMF line I’m beyond happy Lego is pushing more quirky figures. Some even resemble fabuland designs. Hope to see them bring some of that over to the CMF line.

As promised...

I bought a case of CMF21, as did my friend.  We weighed each bag then opened it.  We each got 3 of every figure.  With 6 replicates, these are their average weights and 2 sigma error bars (~95% confidence interval), for the figures in their bags.

Violin kid 9.36g ± 0.14
Pug 9.81g ± 0.09
Ladybug 10.17g ± 0.10
Alien 10.18g ± 0.15
Castaway 10.69g ± 0.02
Beekeeper 11.21g ± 0.14
Chorus girl 11.69g ± 0.04
Aztec 11.70g ± 0.06
Airplane kid 13.11g ± 0.09
Space cop 13.46g ± 0.07
Dolphin/surfer 15.51g ± 0.09
Centaur 17.78g ± 0.06

The Ladybug and the Alien are unable to be discerned by weight alone, although the ladybug wings are fairly easy to feel.  The Aztec and Chorus girl are likewise impossible to differentiate by weight alone, but the Chorus girl comes in an inner plastic bag so should be easy to tell apart.

Of course, this assumes that you're willing to be the weirdo weighing out all the CMF bags with a portable electronic scale in the middle of the store, but there you go!

On 1/7/2021 at 2:54 PM, koalayummies said:

Saw them at target, four boxes out. Guess people are airplane girl crazy cause they seemed to be all gone. Didn't want any of the Aztec guy so you army builders can have at it.

I like castaway guy.

*pic with all those juicy 1x2 trans light blue tiles*

I’ll trade you TWO Cinnabon’s for those tiles! :grin:

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’ll trade you TWO Cinnabon’s for those tiles! :grin:

LOL! Now I want a cinnabons! For the sake of the discussion I looked up the price and although I love cinnamon :drool: I cannot take that deal :head_back: I had no idea they were so pricey *oh2* (mine are from disassembled Ninjago City).

Edit: Doh! Considering the price of Cinnabons that's a fair offer! :grin:

Edited by koalayummies

33 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

LOL! Now I want a cinnabons! For the sake of the discussion I looked up the price and although I love cinnamon :drool: I cannot take that deal :head_back: I had no idea they were so pricey *oh2* (mine are from disassembled Ninjago City).

Edit: Doh! Considering the price of Cinnabons that's a fair offer! :grin:

At this point...I had to ask. I have two hundred on their way(for $18) but that’s not going to be enough. 

On 1/28/2021 at 4:32 AM, Grover said:

Of course, this assumes that you're willing to be the weirdo weighing out all the CMF bags with a portable electronic scale in the middle of the store, but there you go!

Only chance some of use are getting with the ‘rona going round. Unless of course you want to pay extortionate eBay prices :grin:

Thanks for doing this. Any recommendations on portable electronic scales?

Small kitchen scales on amazon are pretty cheap and you can use them for cooking too!  Just make sure the weights are good to 0.01g.  The last decimal is always suspect, so you might miss a few things with 0.1g accuracy.  For $12 it's hard to go wrong with a 0.01g scale though!

If you live in the UK, be very careful about buying high precision pocket or other small-format scales especially if you are also buying small component baggies from the same place. You will eventually be raided by the police at some unearthly hour.

They will ruin your home including any LEGO you have on display. You can expect them to spill all of your LEGO pieces on the floor leaving you with the Herculean task of re-sorting them. If you then complain/seek compensation for the raid and damage, the police will claim that they were acting ‘on intelligence’ without specifying what that ‘intelligence’ was only that it came from a ‘confidential source’.

Think I’m kidding?   Exactly that happened to an AFOL a few years ago. She was a nurse living alone in a home she had lived in for years. She had never been in trouble with the law; she didn’t even have a parking ticket to her name. She certainly didn’t have anything to do with illegal drugs.

Think you live in a free country because you live in the UK? Pffff!

Edited by AmperZand

4 hours ago, AmperZand said:

If you live in the UK, be very careful about buying high precision pocket or other small-format scales especially if you are also buying small component baggies from the same place. You will eventually be raided by the police at some unearthly hour.

That's a good point: know your local laws and practices (with everything you do).  Ironically, the drug dealers and people who are using these scales for nefarious purposes aren't likely to buy online and usually skirt these problems by buying second hand at a flea market or buying kitchen scales at big box stores in cash, leaving the rest of us to pay the price.  I had never considered just how much overlap there is between Lego and drug dealing: balances, baggies, expensive, addiction... :laugh:

Edited by Grover

Do you have a source for the police raid? Not that I don't believe you, but I've never heard of this myself and I'd love to read more on the topic if there's news articles or whatnot out there.

5 hours ago, AmperZand said:

If you then complain/seek compensation for the raid and damage, the police will claim that they were acting ‘on intelligence’ without specifying what that ‘intelligence’ was only that it came from a ‘confidential source’.

Even if there was reasonable grounds for the raid based on intelligence (which seems unlikely from what you have set out), that would only mean it was lawful to carry out the raid.  It wouldn't remove the responsibility to compensate for any emotional and/or physical damage caused as a result of the raid.

They would have been allowed to have done wrong, as it were.  But they would still be required by the law to "put it right" with compensation, so as to theoretically put the raided person back to their position prior to the raid.

The last I heard was that she was seeking compensation but had been been advised by a solicitor not to discuss the matter any further in public. 

If you're in the UK, you don't have to believe me. Just order some high precision pocket scales and baggies from the same online shop (best one in the UK), sit back and wait for your door to be broken down. Simples. Please don't say I didn't warn you though when a policeman winds up dragging you out of your bed by your hair.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:31 PM, cosmic said:

Not to be annoying but Lego is releasing an anthropomorphic Llama guy and a Candy Mermaid in the vidiyo line so I will resume asking for outlandish figures here because obviously there’s some sort of market for them

The best way to tell if there is a market for something is how long it takes before it’s on clearance, but since that isn’t something that happens much anymore it will be harder to determine if that is the case.

and just to be clear I’m not particularly for or against  anthropomorphic figures I guess it depends how they look and the ones I have seen in the leaks aren’t for me but I’m happy that they are available for the people that are interested in them.

7 hours ago, AmperZand said:

The last I heard was that she was seeking compensation but had been been advised by a solicitor not to discuss the matter any further in public. 

If you're in the UK, you don't have to believe me. Just order some high precision pocket scales and baggies from the same online shop (best one in the UK), sit back and wait for your door to be broken down. Simples. Please don't say I didn't warn you though when a policeman winds up dragging you out of your bed by your hair.

Don’t police have to have a search warrant to show up at your house? Or is that an American thing? From my understanding if they don’t have one they either aren’t real cops or they a breaking the law so you could show up in court and they could be in trouble but if they do have some kind of warrant it’s probably because you did something suspicious in which case it’s good to know local  laws so that this kind of thing doesn’t happen.

I'm just wondering if rest of the world also having a delayed release on series 21 outside Lego Stores and Lego online?   Even the Lego store in Auckland has very low supply on this.  Still waiting for the local store to stock series 21 so I can buy a box with discount.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:37 AM, Grover said:

Small kitchen scales on amazon are pretty cheap and you can use them for cooking too!  Just make sure the weights are good to 0.01g.  The last decimal is always suspect, so you might miss a few things with 0.1g accuracy.  For $12 it's hard to go wrong with a 0.01g scale though!

Thank you!

19 hours ago, AmperZand said:

They will ruin your home including any LEGO you have on display. You can expect them to spill all of your LEGO pieces on the floor leaving you with the Herculean task of re-sorting them. If you then complain/seek compensation for the raid and damage, the police will claim that they were acting ‘on intelligence’ without specifying what that ‘intelligence’ was only that it came from a ‘confidential source’.

Think I’m kidding?   Exactly that happened to an AFOL a few years ago. She was a nurse living alone in a home she had lived in for years. She had never been in trouble with the law; she didn’t even have a parking ticket to her name. She certainly didn’t have anything to do with illegal drugs.

Think you live in a free country because you live in the UK? Pffff!

*huh* I thought you were joking at first!

1 hour ago, 1Panda said:

Don’t police have to have a search warrant to show up at your house? Or is that an American thing?

Police in the UK don't need a search warrant to "show up" at your house i.e. knock on your door and ask if they can come in (you can say no).

They do normally need one to force entry into your home.  It sounds like they would need one for what's described above.  Compelling reasons like they can see/hear someone being endangered inside, they've just seen someone they're in the process of chasing run inside, they have an arrest warrant to arrest someone resident at that address etc. may mean they don't need one to force entry.

10 hours ago, AmperZand said:

I'm glad they're at least following a claim for compensation.  Presumably the police will settle if its an obvious error, rather than the embarrassment and additional costs of court.  I'm not saying it's right though. Clearly more evidence than what you've set out should be required.

7 hours ago, Weil said:

They do normally need one to force entry into your home.  It sounds like they would need one for what's described above.  

Indeed. It was a few years ago and I don’t know if the law has changed since, likely not much. Nowadays, the police require a warrant from a Magistrates’ Court obtainable if the police have ‘reasonable grounds to believe an offence was being committed on the premises’.

The problem is what constitutes ‘reasonable grounds’. In that nurse’s case, ‘reasonable grounds’ seems to have been the purchase of items associated with supplying drugs. I don’t know if the police divulged to the Court that issued the warrant who the informant was. That may have influenced the Court’s decision. Either way, the worrying aspect is the absence of the presumption of innocence. I can imagine lots of perfectly legal uses - besides LEGO - for precise scales and baggies: beading/jewellery making, numismatics, herbal remedies dispensing, watch making (for the tiny components), and re-selling baggies to name a few.

7 hours ago, Weil said:

Police in the UK don't need a search warrant to "show up" at your house i.e. knock on your door and ask if they can come in (you can say no).

They do normally need one to force entry into your home.  It sounds like they would need one for what's described above.  Compelling reasons like they can see/hear someone being endangered inside, they've just seen someone they're in the process of chasing run inside, they have an arrest warrant to arrest someone resident at that address etc. may mean they don't need one to force entry.

I'm glad they're at least following a claim for compensation.  Presumably the police will settle if its an obvious error, rather than the embarrassment and additional costs of court.  I'm not saying it's right though. Clearly more evidence than what you've set out should be required.

In the US there's what is called a "no knock" warrant. Since a very publicized incident, though, their use has been called into serious question.

From the description of events, UK police seem to have a wider latitude for property damage during a drug search. There will likely be a judgement of restitution, but there doesn't seem to have been any legal wrongdoing under UK law. The police may have had other factors going into their "reasonable suspicion" that she may not have been aware of. The occupation of Nurse implies access to pharmaceuticals, though I can be wrong in this supposition. If that was true, and there had been a theft of medication in her workplace, the purchase of such a precision scale would seem suspicious.

33 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

The problem is what constitutes ‘reasonable grounds’.

I agree with everything you said and particularly this.  It needs to be understood that this is still a specific legal test.  It is not reasonable merely because the thought happened to occur to you.

27 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

If that was true, and there had been a theft of medication in her workplace, the purchase of such a precision scale would seem suspicious.

True.  You still hope that in most circumstances they can find a less dramatic way of eliminating someone from enquiries.  I guess that's not always possible and sometimes you really are just the wrong person in the wrong circumstances - in which case they still need to "put it right" after.

I suppose the other factor at play here is that I'm not sure the police should even be able to know what you're buying, unless they already have grounds to investigate that.

Edited by Weil

11 hours ago, Pchan1983 said:

I'm just wondering if rest of the world also having a delayed release on series 21 outside Lego Stores and Lego online?   Even the Lego store in Auckland has very low supply on this.  Still waiting for the local store to stock series 21 so I can buy a box with discount.

Well at least here in Rochester Minnesota there doesn't appear to be a significant delay on the releases.  Both of our Targets and Walmarts seem to have a decent number of the blind bags.  Based on my looking there were many of them at the register lines including the self checkout lines (which I hadn't seen Lego there before).   Our Barnes and Noble had at least one box as well as Scheels (yes a sporting goods store has Lego blind bags).

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

In the US there's what is called a "no knock" warrant. Since a very publicized incident, though, their use has been called into serious question.

From the description of events, UK police seem to have a wider latitude for property damage during a drug search. There will likely be a judgement of restitution, but there doesn't seem to have been any legal wrongdoing under UK law. The police may have had other factors going into their "reasonable suspicion" that she may not have been aware of. The occupation of Nurse implies access to pharmaceuticals, though I can be wrong in this supposition. If that was true, and there had been a theft of medication in her workplace, the purchase of such a precision scale would seem suspicious.

"no knock" warrants still require the police to show the probable cause for the search and get a warrant.  The "no knock" part simply means they can just barge right in without stopping at the door.  In a regular warrant, all they have to do is knock and say "Police, we have a warrant, open the door."  How long they wait after doing this and how loud they shout is open to interpretation.  I know several police and former police officers that would lightly knock on the door and not fully yell on some of their warrants, and then just break the door down.  The execution of a warrant here in the US is sometimes quite dangerous, and if you put up any resistance to them and they break something while you are resisting they don't have to compensate you for it.  Also just an aside, the warrant has to say what they are looking for during the search.  They can only look for those things in places where that item could reasonably be located.  So if they are looking for a person, they cannot look in drawers as a person cannot fit in a drawer.  A closet they could look in, but not in the pockets of the coats that are in there.  

51 minutes ago, MSY-MSP said:

Well at least here in Rochester Minnesota there doesn't appear to be a significant delay on the releases.  Both of our Targets and Walmarts seem to have a decent number of the blind bags.  Based on my looking there were many of them at the register lines including the self checkout lines (which I hadn't seen Lego there before).   Our Barnes and Noble had at least one box as well as Scheels (yes a sporting goods store has Lego blind bags).

I spotted them here in a UK supermarket recently too!

Did this for Series 20 and frankly I was disappointed with the response I got. (I thought it would be appreciated, but no one even seemed to notice haha) ...but here I am again. I have to do this to speed up my own process of breaking down boxes and having gone to so much effort it seems selfish not to share. Even if it only helps one of you find that fig you’re looking for on a shop shelf then it’s worth sharing. I’m in the UK and every box I received follows the same pattern. Thanks, Nath

F2203648-FBBE-46F3-B203-8C9D135ACC3E.png

21 minutes ago, N8thanAshley2 said:

Did this for Series 20 and frankly I was disappointed with the response I got. (I thought it would be appreciated, but no one even seemed to notice haha) ...but here I am again. I have to do this to speed up my own process of breaking down boxes and having gone to so much effort it seems selfish not to share. Even if it only helps one of you find that fig you’re looking for on a shop shelf then it’s worth sharing. I’m in the UK and every box I received follows the same pattern. Thanks, Nath

F2203648-FBBE-46F3-B203-8C9D135ACC3E.png

Thanks! Been looking for this 

7 hours ago, MSY-MSP said:

Well at least here in Rochester Minnesota there doesn't appear to be a significant delay on the releases.  Both of our Targets and Walmarts seem to have a decent number of the blind bags.  Based on my looking there were many of them at the register lines including the self checkout lines (which I hadn't seen Lego there before).   Our Barnes and Noble had at least one box as well as Scheels (yes a sporting goods store has Lego blind bags)

Hey  I’m not far from there I should probably go looking thanks for letting me know.

17 hours ago, Weil said:

When I said show up I meant entering the home/building and or searching. I sometimes forget not every one uses the same wording as I and I apologize that I didn’t make it clear the first time. And thanks for answering my question.